Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WHAT TO DO ABOUT MY 727 TORQUEFLITE..........A DILEMMA....... REDUX

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Nov 21, 2020.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

I received a call from Sea Tac Trans owner saying Torqueflite will be ready at the latest, next Tuesday the 24th.
    Now I've taken some lumps for leaving it there, on here, but it that is okay I asked for it in asking for your guys advise, and then leaving it there. I had good reason for doing so, but at the same time hated, absolutely hated myself for doing so, but it looks like it will pay off.

I did get the HEMI back, as I posted. I also had a serious conversation at the same time
    about what the hell the problem was and got the same answers, ......parts. He insisted just one part was the hold up and that part was due any moment. He went on to say there was just thirty minuets worth the work to button it up and it would be ready to go.
    My partner in crime with this, Jim, wants me to take the Hemi back to him and have them mate the trans, which I will do but feel like I'll be eating crow in do so.
    Of course the next hurdle is the charges. If he is going to, and how much.
    But I have an ace up my sleeve for that which I was advised to employee, by a former owner, Dan, of a custom shop that is also a good friend.
    So the drama/dilemma is still on going but getting resolved. And BTW, Dan advised me of the shop he used when he built the countless customs in his shop. Said this shop is the best in the PNW, so now I know.
    When the 34 is once again complete and running I will post as much.

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck

rbrewer and loudbang like this.
  3. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Sea Tac Trans....:eek: I had them do two separate transmissions for me years ago and wasn't happy with the outcome with either one. One was a complete rebuild on a M22 and the other was a foreign box repair. They were both noisy when I got them reinstalled. Tried to get them to fix them and got nothing but a run around. With what I had to deal with, kind of surprised they're still in business actually.
    Hope you have better luck than I did.

4. KenC

KenC

I thought the noise of an M22 was a 'feature'! every one of them had that feature.

5. Budget36

Budget36

Hope it works out for you Larry. You’ve had your share of misfortune with it.

VANDENPLAS, loudbang and rbrewer like this.
  6. Good luck Larry. Just make sure you get that kiss this time. You've got everything else in this whole deal.

7. 34Larry

34Larry

12/8/20 and just a follow up with the latest. The Torqueflite is back in my position but at another shop for final assembly to the Hemi. For those of you in my area it is at Brady in Auburn who's shop is named, Transends. He was recommended to me by Dan Peterson, West Coast Builder of the year one year, sometime back. Dan used him and his shop for the many customs he built through the years.When picking it up this morning there WAS NO CHARGE !!! I was also told that the very best of parts available were used and it is as good as the very best of any of the Torqueflites ever were. Brady says, "come and get it in a couple a days, I'll call ya."
    It crashed in August, its gonna be good to have it back and in the car.

8. Sounds like you need to kiss him.... LOLOL....

loudbang likes this.
  9. BJR

BJR

Or send him a case of Crown Royal.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  10. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

So, the first shop did ya fair? Other than the time frame obviously. Did they say what all was wrong and caused it to fail?

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Well I’m m happy for you it seems to have worked itself out, hopefully all is well once it’s back in the car and don’t need to be yanked out again ever !!

3AFDA7A4-6A9E-423B-A1AA-FB0B47611546.jpeg

12. Wow.... A business that provided a service that previously had been excessively paid for. And it only took five months to deliver on a two day job. Maybe it should be nominated for business of the year....

Dick Stevens and arkiehotrods like this.
  13. gene-koning

gene-koning

34 Larry, I hope it works better for you this time around.
    Gene

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Larry, if Dan sent you and Brady did the work, you're good to go. He did a trans for me (OT Vette) probably 30+ years ago, and solved a problem no one else could find in 10 minutes, maybe 5 years ago. More in between. Now, if it would just quit raining long enough to find out how hard it shifts.

15. 34Larry

34Larry

Actually.........No......... I don't know what his problem was, he was very upset about something and hardly spoke to me. There was only him and the guy that helped me load it in the truck. He normally has a staffing of around 8 or 10. I tried to engage him in talking, confirming how many qts for initial start up and he snapped at me with the answer so I just thanked him for all he has done and left.
    The gofer guy that helped load, said it is at 1987 standards which according to him is the last update Chrysler did to the Torqueflite.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  16. 34Larry

34Larry

Right mike, but time will tell.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Fingers crossed for ya..

loudbang likes this.
  18. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Hope you get a little reach around for all your time and troubles

19. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

34 Larry, it is a bit late but if you want to learn how they work and why, this book will show and teach you a lot. fullsizeoutput_4af6.jpeg

Attached Files:

20. 34Larry

34Larry

Hey thanks VOETOM I have watched all the video's I could find on You tube to get a basic understanding of them and I'll find and order this for more knowledge.

21. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

Larry, I have a couple here with me but you can almost buy them cheaper from Amazon or Mancini Racing if you want reasonable shipping. Media Mail is taking weeks.

loudbang likes this.
  22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If it is at 1987 standards, you better hook up a TV cable and have working correctly.

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  23. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

Larry, Did you have them install a Cheetah valve body like we talked about?

With that valve body, we at least we know for sure the TV linkage is not used.

I hope you realize that this WHOLE MESS is most likely due to the TV linkage not being hooked up in the other trans, when it needed to be.

Best of luck, I hope you get this problem behind you!

Bill

loudbang and ottoman like this.
  24. 34Larry

34Larry

No Cheetah body. I did approach him about that but he was not agreeable enough to the suggestion because he already replaced the manual body with another new one.
    Sorry for the late answer, I haven't revisited this thread since getting it back.
    And I have been told no linkage is needed by other HAMBERS and so I'm going to trust them and not install one.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Did you have Brady drop the pan and verify the valve body so you'll know for sure whether it needs the TV or not?

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  26. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

I second that. Or at least find out who's brand valve body it has now, from the builder.
    Don't go down this rat hole again, without knowing exactly what you have in this transmission.

Bill

loudbang likes this.
  27. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

You claim the builder replaced the valve body with another one. Just what did he replace it with?

Did he replace it with another bona fied manual valve body, like from TCI, Cheetah etc. or did he install a Transgo "Stick Shift" TF-3 manual valve body shift kit in another stock valvebody?

YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT IS IN THERE!!!!!!!

We have used the Transgo TF-3 kit many times without issues, that kit is available to trans shops at a discounted price, through trans parts suppliers. Its also a hell of a lot cheeper than a bona fied manual valve body, but there is additional labor time to install.

Attached are two pages of earlier Transgo instructions for the TF-3 kit, clearly states either the T.V. LINKAGE HAS TO BE HOOKED UP OR WIRED BACK TO FULL THROTTLE POSITION IF NOT HOOKED UP.

One thing I ran into is Transgo revamped their instructions at a later date and make no mention of the TV issue at all.

I questioned this and called Transgo, and they said it has to be hooked up or wired back like the old instructions said.

If this is what the valve body is you are best to call Transgo at (626) 443-7451

Bill
    001.jpg 002.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  28. Budget36

Budget36

@34Larry
    I don’t know squat about TF transmissions, but do yourself a favor and heed the advice given. While things are out of the car verify what you have

loudbang likes this.
  29. 34Larry

34Larry

Well how about I have the Transends, (Brady), Transmission shop that was recommended by another neighbor that built Boyd class customs for years, R and R this valve body with a Cheetah manual? As Johnboy34 suggested I plan on having Brady drop the pan and confirm what I need and don't need.
    This is getting so frustrating, I'm sick of it.
    I don't want anything to do with the original shop.

loudbang likes this.
  30. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

^ Smart move...in my opinion. You need to make sure of what exactly you have in it. From my personal past experience, I would not trust Sea Tac Trans as far as I could throw that Torqueflite.

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.