Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mechanical oil pressure guage fitting size???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dogwalkin, Dec 11, 2020.

1. dogwalkin

dogwalkin
    from tn

I was curious if anyone had identified the thread size on the back of the summit oil pressure guage?? I'm sure its like a lot of others on the market.

I checked and it is not 1/8 npt.
    I was hoping to fix me a line because I will not use that plastic tubing.
    Thanks !!!! 1211201211.jpeg

Sent from my LM-V405 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The oil pressure gauges I've used use a compression fitting with the ferrule that goes over the copper line.

rockable likes this.
  3. lake_harley

lake_harley

You probably know this already but it will take a nut and ferrule for a compression fitting as I'm assuming you want to use soft copper tubing? I believe the tubing would be 1/8" copper.

Lynn

The Magic Ratchet likes this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you’ve got a good auto parts store by you with a Dorman supply drawers ask if you can check the threads against your for the slide ring compression fittings which what it looks like.
    Did Summit have the sealed plastic bag with fittings because I’ve used their oil pressure gauge without the plastic line and very small copper tubing with a compression sleeve. It could be metric today. good luck

5. dogwalkin

dogwalkin
    from tn

It came with the ferrules for the plastic line and I know you can get copper line.
    My question is is the copper line ok?
    I seen online they have a stainless line with a n
    fittings

Thanks for the help

6. I have been running 1/8" copper tube on these gauges for many years, and just used the ferrule (usually brass) supplied with the nut. Sometimes called "nut & olive" if you are searching for them. Many times the thread on the nut is not anything I can ever find on a thread chart, I'm sure some of the manufacturers "make them up"!

seb fontana likes this.
  7. Wrench97

Wrench97

Stainless cracks easier then the copper which cracks easier then the nylon, but both metals hold up to heat and abrasion better then the nylon.

8. Fordors

Fordors

Whether you use nylon or copper tubing don’t get gorilla when you tighten the nuts. Too tight and the ferrule can weaken the line and it might crack- tighten, check it and chinch it up a bit more if necessary.
    Route either type of line through a rubber grommet if passing through sheet metal and keep nylon away from anything that gets very hot.

9. squirrel

squirrel

great advice above. Also, put a few coils in the line near the firewall, on the engine side, to help it flex.

Jokester and The Magic Ratchet like this.
  10. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

It uses a standard 1/8" tube, nut and compression ferule. That should have come with your gauge. If it only had nylon tubing you can purchase copper tube at most good auto supply stores. I've found that the nylon tube is a lot better than it's reputation suggests. Your choice, though.

11. squirrel

squirrel

if you can keep the nylon away from the exhaust, and sharp edges, it's fine.

12. dogwalkin

dogwalkin
    from tn

Awesome guys thanks for all the help. I'm gonna get them installed this weekend. Trying to make a good cruiser.
    1965 pontiac bonneville 4 door hardtop.