Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hiboy 31 Model A Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barbarian, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Slow but steady progress. 327 block turned out to be trash, 2 cracks between the freeze plugs that would cost more to fix than it’s worth. Looking at another 327 block tomorrow.

Cut up the gas tank to use the cowl band. Will be getting a 32 style dash.

pulled the front suspension entirely apart and sent to the powder coater and picked them up today. Working on removing the kingpins. Will end up tearing everything down, buying all new bolts, bushings etc. guy who mocked this up before me cut every corner imaginable so I don’t trust any of it

Attached Files:

brEad and loudbang like this.
  2. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Got the kingpins out with some persuasion. I'm glad I'm tearing this completely down, the more I looked I realized the previous guy never put the locking pins in HA! They were really jammed in there good. Temporary primed the axle in a red oxide to see if I want to go this route with powdercoating but am deciding on semi-gloss black. May try to keep the inside of the holes a raw steel type look for some definition. Love the way this axle came out. I could add 2 more holes, one on each end, but I like the keeping it at a 'lucky 13'. Also debated filling the indents from the CE marking but will be leaving that alone, doesn't bother me as much anymore.

Attached Files:

***Area-51***, loudbang and brEad like this.
  3. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

I wasn't sure what I was going to do for a motor after I found my 327 block was trashed. Was debating going another route but then a friend sent me a guy's number a town over with a complete, but torn down, 327 for 200 bucks. I couldn't pass it up so I scooped that up last weekend. Seems to be a 327/210. So now I have a full set of internals for (2) 327s; one for a 327/300 and other for a 327/210. Both are standard bore. Will be bringing the newly obtained block to the machine shop this week to get checked out and cleaned up. Hoping this one pans out better.

Attached Files:

swade41, loudbang and brEad like this.
  4. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Then last night my wife and I did some art projects. While she was painting our kiddo's playroom, I painted a firestone sign. It was free so what the heck?

Attached Files:

Tim, swade41, A Boner and 1 other person like this.
  5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

657 block is one year only, could be machined for small journal 327 or large journal 350. The ME code shows 67 Camaro 327. Picked up the same coded engine this summer for my coupe.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  6. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Yup! Dropped it off at the machine shop today. He’s checking it out and if all is well, will be going mild rebuild. Probably a slight bore needed so new pistons, maybe a thumpr cam and I have 291 hump heads.

loudbang likes this.
  7. 1929rats

1929rats

Drilling out the axle is no small job! I probably went through 100.00 worth of bits on my first axle. I spaced mine by making a block of wood that could travel the axle between the web of the beam and got 'em all equally spaced. After my second axle, i decided if I were to ever do it (drill) it again, Id find someone with a bridgeport machine. Glad you are getting rid of the four bar set up as well. sounds like a neat hot rod you have planned here. best of luck!

loudbang likes this.
  8. Street_Sinner13

Street_Sinner13

9. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Went to start hanging my doors today and found a nice little surprise; previous owner only provided 4 of the 6 hinges. WOOPS, should've checked that when I bought the body. Anyone have extra hinges?? Or I may just be going with a new set from modelahinges.com based on reviews I've read on here

loudbang likes this.
  10. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Big day today. Got all the DMV paperwork finalized. Also got word the short block to the 327 is done so will be picking that up later in the week.

Gotgas, loudbang and J.Ukrop like this.
  11. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Try Bratton’s in Maryland for parts. They don’t sell junk. Used them on my A build. That seat should work but I had to modify the lever that lets the seat fold down, just made it a little too wide. The plastic covers on the hinges can get in the way too, I took mine off.
    Great build, keep up the good work ;):)

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  12. Cool build, I recently drilled my axle with the same old school drill press, worked pretty good.

20200815_163849.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  13. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

327 short block is done. .030 over, comp xe268 cam, stock forged sj crank. Nothing too fancy but should be a fun little street motor.

Need to figure our heads as my 461 camel humps need too much money into them. May just go new aluminum promaxx, paint them to disguise them.

also picked up a nice rpm air gap intake. Whole top of the motor will be shiny and finned

Attached Files:

14. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Slow progress but it’s progress. 4 bar brackets are gone, hairpin brackets are on. Tomorrow will primer the raw steel and start putting the roller back together.

Attached Files:

15. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Lining it all up after receiving some new parts and the getting the rest back from powder coating

Attached Files:

16. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Assembly underway. Ran into an issue with the rod end batwings from my old 4 bar setup measuring about 1.25” shorter than clevises after I welded on the frame brackets. My mistake for going off measurements given to me by P&J but easy fix, switched to clevises with the corresponding batwing and it fits perfect. Like the look better as well. Missing shock bolts so called it a night.

Attached Files:

rbrewer, loudbang and Aaron D. like this.
  17. You shouldn't be assembling that with everything hanging by the spring, which I explained in another thread of yours.

18. Thanks for the very cool thread, great photo's/ details- waitin on the next ones- good luck!!!!!

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  19. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I like the build! I do have a question. Are you running a panhard bar on the front? with cross steer one should be used to eliminate bump steer.

loudbang and rbrewer like this.
  20. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Thanks for your help on the other thread. I mocked it up like this to ensure the clevises added the length I needed to fit. I removed the rear bolts of the hairpins and re-installed while on the ground with wheels mounted.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

most likely will run one yea

Binger and loudbang like this.
  22. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Haven’t made much progress but did collect some parts that I’ve been after for awhile. Original edelbrock x1 intake, Rochester carbs need rebuild, air cleaners look like cal custom. Been looking for an x1 intake for awhile, really happy it’s original and not a repop. Valve covers are original cal custom, I guess later originals as they say Japan on inside . crusty and have a chunk missing out of one fin but couldn’t argue with the cost of free. All should clean up decent

Attached Files:

brEad, Shadow Creek and loudbang like this.
  23. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those valve covers will clean up just fine, and minor damage of time just says they’re the real deal = good. Nice project, love the induction system. Not a lot of replies to you, but we’re watching with interest.

John

24. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Picked up a nice 35/36 dash. Other than the surface rust, it’s straight with a minor ding

Attached Files:

rbrewer and loudbang like this.
  25. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Flop’s the man !

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I spoke to him about chopping my coupe, I decided to do it myself :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

So this project isn't entirely dead, sorry for the lack of updates. Will be sticking with the coupe but it's on the back burner for some time. I acquired a 32 cab about 2 months back and am hot and heavy into building that right now. Channeled, 60s style. I've also come across 2 original 32 frames, one complete roller with a heavy axle and all. That will be saved for this coupe. Will go heavy chop and full traditional style. I've caught the bug bad, in 3 months I've acquired 2 original 32 frames, one full roller, 2 32 cabs, a 31 wide bed, original grille shell. One of the cabs is super rough but the firewall and cowl are mint, above the belt line is likely unsavable. May keep this parts for a future speedster/rpu/gow job, who knows. But I'm keeping it ALL. More to come!

28. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Nice score!

loudbang likes this.
  29. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

30. 41fordor

41fordor

Man, I know nothing about Model As. But all these cool Model A threads make me want a banger!

loudbang likes this.