Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods UPPER RAD Hose Needed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groovy, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Groovy

Groovy

I've been searching to no avail an upper rad hose that fits well. I found this one shown but near the rad connection there is a sideways jog that messes up the look.
    Does anyone have a recommendation that would look like it was made for an application with a small block Chev coupled to a Walker rad. Thermostat housing has a 45 degree + -
    angle and hose needs to have a 1 IMG_3909.JPG IMG_3910.JPG IMG_3912.JPG IMG_3762.JPG 1/2" id.

2. When searching for the correct radiator hoses,both top and bottom I learned log ago the best way to find the correct fit is to have a pattern to take to the parts house and ask for access to where they have the hoses hanging.

I have a pair of Volkswagen beetle warm heater hoses, the are light weight, flexible aluminum and when using them to route how you want the hose they will hold their shape.

Then take them with you when looking for the hose, remember some hoses may be close and you my have to trim off a odd appendage. HRP

028-129-087AL.jpg

'51 Norm and egads like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

^^^^Good advice.

4. J53

J53
    from WI

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

6. Groovy

Groovy

I've bent up a piece of wire in the shape I am looking for. Problem is most small parts stores no longer carry a large supply of hoses hanging on the wall like years past. With covid it is impossible to have access to the back warehouse to browse their selection. First time checking a particular shape it took 10 minutes to get the item picked and brought to the counter and to boot the counter staff are less than enthusiastic.

7. squirrel

squirrel

8. squirrel

squirrel

but seriously....one way I've found to look for hoses is to use Oreilly's search function. Search for Radiator hose, then click the "Pick up in Store" thing. This narrows it down to what's in stock at your store. Then on the left, pick the ID of each end, then you can start looking for hoses with the right shape. Find as many numbers as you can that look like they might be the right length and shape, and go to the store with your list of part numbers.

hose.jpg

alanp561, RMR&C, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  9. Go to the Gates catalog, download the Illustrated guide and have at it. If you need to see it in picture form just type in the number into Google and hit images. I spent a few hours looking for a hose that way and ended up finding a hose that I could cut a section out of that works perfect....so don't discount the weird bend hoses if you can use just a part of it.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    Just Gary and anthony myrick like this.
  10. Groovy

Groovy

I've checked the Gates and Dayco illustrated hose guide and have inspected potential candidates but the illustrations are really bad. That is how I got the above Gates hose in the photos but didn't know there was a jog in the hose.

11. gene-koning

gene-koning

When ever I get into needing a strange hose, I usually end up getting an exhaust pipe bend, cut it where it needs to be cut, weld it if it needs to be welded. If you don't trust your welds to be water tight, you can coat the weld with JB weld and let it set up for at least 8 hours. Once I get the shape I want, paint it semi gloss black (inside and out) and then I add a short hose to each end to clamp to the pipe and the radiator or thermostat housing. That sure has solved a lot of problems for me. Gene

'51 Norm, alanp561 and anothercarguy like this.
  12. Groovy

Groovy

Already did that to my brothers Chevelle with a radiator from another vehicle which made using a regular hose impossible. Hate the way this looks and have since DSC01010.JPG DSC01018.JPG DSC01020.JPG found a hose with funky bends that should work...

anthony myrick likes this.
  13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Use a mopar straight up t-stat housing. Cast iron is better than aluminum

olscrounger likes this.
  14. Or fab out of metal and add short straight hose pieces to attach it
    AAE25DE7-099E-4949-9FE0-70B6EC8DC990.jpeg
    like these for a flathead

jimmy six, 283john and clem like this.
  15. clem

clem

a couple of ideas that I came up with, s/s pipe painted on the flathead.

117CA9C8-5B4E-42F4-A05C-3892D9ACD79F.jpeg 5EF6527E-432A-45C2-9C25-947A58E20E94.jpeg

16. This would be traditional.....

Muttley, Blues4U and sidevalve8ba like this.
  17. Solder copper fittings then chrome plate. Add lengths of straight hose for flex.
    Chrome top.jpg hose parts.JPG Top hose mockup.JPG

'51 Norm and Just Gary like this.
  18. make friends with a guy that runs an exhaust shop. Have them bend you up a metal one.

Just Gary likes this.
  19. A 1955 Chevy V8 upper hose fits perfectly after trimming one or both ends (depending on how high & far your radiator is forward of the engine). I'll see of I have any pics of mine tonight on my home computer.

Meanwhile: https://www.google.com/search?q=55+...WoTN8KHR04CNkQ_AUoAnoECAcQBA&biw=1600&bih=717

20. wvenfield

wvenfield

This is what I did. Two things, this was pre-covid and the people at the local Advance Auto store know me well. They had a pretty decent selection still and I found a hose that fit. As you note I had to trim the ends.

Bottom Hose.

Attached Files:

21. goldmountain

goldmountain

HRP, what are you running on your deuce? You have the Zip's water pump setup just like Groovy is running.

22. 4tford

4tford

I use a metal coat hanger or welding rod and shape to the hose I want then go to the
    auto parts store and see the hoses they have in stock that fits the rod shape.

willys36 likes this.
  23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1-1/4” and 1-1/2” EMT conduit 90’s and 45’s have been my friend for years. Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc are my suppliers.

anthony myrick likes this.
  24. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Get a straight-up thermostat housing. They were used on Chev vans. The hose connection is offset forward slightly. Might then be easier to find a hose that works for you. 20201210_141414.jpg

25. RockyMtnWay

RockyMtnWay

I like to use the gm truck/Cadillac water outlet #84992.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    Just Gary likes this.
  26. RockyMtnWay

RockyMtnWay

Took a second look at your setup, and see the small finned air cleaner so I’ll change my recommendation to a straight up water outlet (like Frank suggests) and gm hose number 3946039.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    alanp561 likes this.
  27. Groovy

Groovy

Thank you all for the replies.
    I've located a Dayco hose 70627 which looks like it should fit. Just haven't been able to locate one locally to examine but will have to order one from the east coast. 70627.JPG s-l225.jpg

28. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heck, it looks like it was made for it. What's that saying, " form follows function "?