Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ReBuild Of my 1928 Model A Tudor.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Cliff Ramsdell, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Things are good man, growing fast and making time blur. Picking away at the A, nothing to big just chipping away at it. Trying to figure out an air filter that doesn’t choke these little carbs lol

Cliff Ramsdell and loudbang like this.
  2. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Hi Cliff,
    Can't wait to see all of the new stuff.
    All is well here ,Joy is going thru a new phase, but all is good.
    Stay safe.

3. Deadbird

Deadbird

Just read through this thread. Thanks for the photos on the glass installation. That cleared up some questions for my 29 Tudor build. I agree with you about buying a fairly complete car to start with. Mine was mostly there, but in pieces. Some bits are missing.

loudbang and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  4. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

@Tim I was looking through the build, i'll chime in over there.

@48fordnut , Jim its great to hear from you and you car is looking more complete each time I check in which hasn't been a lot lately, Life and all, you know. I hope Joy's is doing well in her new phase and I wish you both the best. I'll follow up with you also my friend.

So........A lot has happened over the last 6 months or so. My wife had major back surgery, 360 surgery and was opened up front and back. This should help with all the pain she's been in for awhile. I'm home for a month as the primary care giver as she needs my help and i'm glad to be here.

Another was the coming home of my most favorite car ever. Its an OT vehicle here but I bought the car as the 2nd owner in 1980 and owned it for 17 years and then in a moment of pressure from my ex wife I sold it and within no time always regretted it. I found the car, restored in 2015 and this past April it turned up for sale. My son Scotty bought the car and gave it back to me as a fathers day gift this year.

We also got two new Granddaughters this year, one on the 4th of July and another on the 4th of September. We now have 6 grand kids from 6 weeks to 14 years old, yikes.

OK, enough of that and back to the HAMB approved info of my '28 Tudor. We have been enjoying the car but as with all our projects we continue to improve things. So with that being said and given the fact we got glass and a top lets get some trim on the inside and get the doors trimmed out with door seals.

Cliff Ramsdell

5. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

So, interior ideas were provided by @Mr T body with his ABS thread here, https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/abs-interior-panel-construction.1101000/

I picked up three sheets of 4' x 8' .061" material and set about making templates and panels. Front doors and kick panels, easy, rear panels, yeah not so easy. OK, lets give this a wing here.

Cliff Ramsdell
    IMG_3545.JPG IMG_3546.JPG IMG_3547.JPG IMG_3548.JPG IMG_3558.JPG IMG_3561.JPG IMG_3562.JPG

I was able to use one template on both sides and with minor trimming that worked great. Transfer to the plastic and I used a safety knife the cut the panel to rough and my tin snips to trim the curves, worked great.

IMG_3549.JPG IMG_3550.JPG IMG_3551.JPG IMG_3552.JPG IMG_3553.JPG IMG_3570.JPG IMG_3571.JPG IMG_3574.JPG IMG_3575.JPG
    I made a couple brackets for the kick panels and used a bunch of 1/4" plastic trim fasteners.

hfh, 31Apickup, patmanta and 2 others like this.
  6. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

The rear panels were a bit more of a challenge because of the curves and the difference in the angle of the curve between the top and the bottom. The top wrinkled and I will make a corner cap to fill it later.

I used the propane torch to apply some heat to the plastic to bend it. Note to others, its easy to make a pile of scrap trim. I had enough material to over come mistakes.

Cliff Ramsdell
    IMG_3649.JPG IMG_3651.JPG IMG_3653.JPG IMG_3819.JPG IMG_3820.JPG IMG_3822.JPG IMG_3823.JPG

adam401, Just Gary, patmanta and 3 others like this.
  7. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

OK, rear panel was tough because of the size and the cutout for the window trim, as with the side window trim.

I made pieces for above the doors and above the header. I added a couple Velcro straps above the windshield so I could remove the top and roll it up and stow it away safely.

The plastic has a mind of its own on curved surfaces but all in all worked great.

Cliff Ramsdell
    IMG_3829.JPG IMG_3830.JPG IMG_3831.JPG IMG_3836.JPG IMG_3838.JPG IMG_3839.JPG IMG_3840.JPG IMG_3841.JPG IMG_3842.JPG IMG_3843.JPG

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Some clever ideas there. Looks good

9. An electric heat gun will work better than that torch....

Jason Mitchell, loudbang and Tim like this.
  10. Deadbird

Deadbird

That's what I was about to suggest.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Great idea for storing your top!

12. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

13. Jason Mitchell

Jason Mitchell
    from Memphis TN

Cliff,
    Do you have any pictures of the B and C pillars where they connect to the lower rail of the body? Mine are so badly deteriorated that it's difficult to tell what they looked like. I will be fabricating new ones, or at least the bottom 4-6" pretty soon.

Just Gary, loudbang and 48fordnut like this.
  14. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

@Jason Mitchell let me look through my body picture folder and see what I have. My body was pretty decent and only had minimal rot repair.

Cliff Ramsdell

loudbang and 48fordnut like this.
  15. Jason Mitchell

Jason Mitchell
    from Memphis TN

That would be great. This is what I am working with. Also, the drivers side C pillar is missing as well as both of the trapezoidal pieces that contain the rear window regulators.So I have a scavenger hunt ahead. The wife of the guy I got it from wanted to stick it in the front yard and plant flowers in it. Im not so sure that wasn't a bad idea. 20200726_135508.jpg 20200726_135515.jpg

16. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Get in touch with sloppy jalopies . He has lots of parts t put pieces together

17. chopndrop

chopndrop

[QUOTE="Cliff Ramsdell, post: 13778547,
    I have more to post. It’s been busy here and I haven’t updated things in awhile. I have an interior now, a new dash with a fuel gauge (a story in itself) a new intake setup and new chassis headers and exhaust.

Thanks everyone,
    Cliff Ramsdell[/QUOTE]

Interested to hear about the fuel gauge

18. Nodakman

Nodakman

Hey Cliff,
    I am working on 28 Model A Tudor and found an old classified of yours that was for a roof bow. I am in need of one and was wondering if you still have it for sale? I am new here and for some reason it will not let me send a pm.
    Thanks,
    Nodakman

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

you have to have at least ten posts and have been a member for x amount of time before you can pm in regards to a classifieds add. It’s a new anti scammer measure

loudbang, Blues4U, brEad and 3 others like this.
  20. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Thanks for pointing that out Tim. I noticed that while surfing around today.

I messaged him back, all set.

Cliff Ramsdell

loudbang likes this.
  21. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

@Jason Mitchell I looked through what I had for pics. Didn't take any, guessing it was because it wasn't that bad, sorry I didn't have more to offer. '

Cliff Ramsdell

loudbang likes this.
  22. Mr Last Minute

Mr Last Minute

Great build mate, thanks for all the photos. Certainly gives me some inspiration to get my Tudor build going.

23. Jim Lafond

Jim Lafond

Great job Cliff , awesome pics. Got a lot of valuable info , thanks for the seat and taking the time to talk about how you installed it. I will be in touch.

24. SDS

SDS

What's that plastic material? I like it !

loudbang likes this.