Register now to get rid of these ads!

Headlights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Funnel190, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Funnel190

Funnel190

My headlights won’t turn on switch looks good what else could it be 1936 Chevy master deluxe all new bulbs

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. grumpy65

grumpy65

Blown fuse?
    Bad switch?
    Bad earth?
    Break in wiring circuit?
    Flat battery?
    Gremlins?
    Bad Kharma?
    The gods are angry?

3. I'd check the dimmer switch to see if it is working properly.

seb fontana likes this.
  4. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Recommend breaking out a test light and start checking each connection point. You should be able to isolate the problem.

lowrd and Just Gary like this.

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

What kind of bulbs? Some are polarity sensitive.

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

Install the battery

jimmy six, egads and seb fontana like this.
  7. Check to see if you're getting power to the dimmer switch. If you are the problem is in the dimmer switch or the wiring, connections or the headlights themselves. If no power at the dimmer switch it's either the wiring from the headlight switch to dimmer, the headlight switch itself, or no power getting to the headlight switch.

You don't really give enough information to help diagnose the problem, but if you check the system as I have suggested you eliminate about half of the system with just one test.

8. leon bee

leon bee

Follow the wire.

9. Ghost28

Ghost28

what wiring harness? depending on the fuse panel sometimes there is a additional silver circuit fuse that needs to be installed

10. Power at the headlights? New but bad bulb?

11. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

Lucas wiring installed without the smoke ?
    Work backwards start at the light and check connections back to the battery.

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What fuse panel... everything was individually fused then and not much. As I remember the was a fuse on the ignition switch a lot of times, not sure on a 36 GM.

13. A lot of vehicles of that vintage had a glass type fuse on top of the headlight switch, may have to take the headlight switch out to gain access to it. A lot of the old timey headlight switches don't like halogen bulbs. Voltage doesn't matter--if the switch is in good condition, any switch that can handle 6V can handle 12V. As others have noted, the dimmer switch is also a likely culprit as the floor mounted switches were prone to failure. Had that happen on my '55 Ford. If it's a bulb, most likely the other side would work, unlikely that both would burn out at the same time, and you'd still have high beam on that side if the low beam was out or low beam if the high beam was out. Also check to see if your taillights come on with no headlights or if nothing comes on. While a bad ground might cause a headlight to be out altogether, it's more likely to make it dimmer than the other side which has a better ground. If nothing is on, I'm betting that glass fuse on top of your headlight switch is blown.

14. lowrd

lowrd

12 volt lamps on a 6 volt circuit?