Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical DMV vintage tag issues oklahoma

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by free07110, Dec 8, 2020.

1. free07110

free07110

Tried to get my vintage tag for my 32 roadster and 46chevy approved from the DMV. They declined them because all 6 or 7 digit vintage tags numbers are blocked for future use. Any Oklahoma people know any way to get around this?? Guess everyone else that has them will be grandfathered in the system. Really want to run the vintage plates on my toys...might have to just ask forgiveness if I get pulled over.

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

state of ME. only allows vintage plates on antique registration... told me no on my '33 streetrod...

3. 41woodie

41woodie

Same problem here, I did a bit of research on using YOM tags on the woodie. I thought that 5 digit tags were also blocked but perhaps I'm wrong about that. I have yet to figure out any logical reason to block any digit combination as the older tags are different colors and even sizes than current tags BUT you're dealing with the government, logic is not their strong suit.
    Three and Four digit tags are very difficult to find as tag collectors love the low numbers. Somewhere around here I have a business card from a guy in Texas who can create absolute original looking early tags with whatever digits you desire. He makes them by cutting and welding multiple tags to make one.

guthriesmith and free07110 like this.
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that would be a cool plate, if i had that then I could remove the big FUCK YOU from my tailgate

partsdawg, BJR and hotrodjack33 like this.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm surprised the gub-mint lets us have fun with license plates .... if not for the fact they are cashing in on these things we would not have the option of vintage plates at all.

lothiandon1940 and 62rebel like this.
  6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LMAO.:D now THAT'S funny:D:D:D:D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. I think the governor got that one...............

Truck64 and kevinrevin like this.
  8. 5window

5window

Well, you could get around the ban by going to a 5 digit plate?[​IMG]

9. free07110

free07110

The tags I have are both 6 digits. Haven’t seen any 5 digits tags for 46 year. My quick research shows they are all 6-7 digits for that year.
    Even looked into just getting a new specialty plate with the numbers only so I can have if I chose to run the vintage plate. The only problem is they don’t allow dashes on a specialty plate like my vintage tag.

Attached Files:

charleyw likes this.
  10. free07110

free07110

Here is the application. 5 or 6 number tags. Not 7.

wonder if my dash on my tag identifies as a tiny 1. That would make my tag have 7 digits

Attached Files:

11. I have a 4 digit year of manf.(1950) Oklahoma plate on my F-1. Just renewed it for 2021. You might try to find lower digit plates.

guthriesmith and free07110 like this.
  12. Pretty sure there are lower digit plates out there for a 46. However, I’m glad you brought this up and made me look at the plates I was planning to try to run soon. Seems the 2 letter and 4 number plates should work according to what I just read and what both of mine are. Apparently I got lucky and got this one registered before the rules changed.

66213990-98BE-4664-BD04-B1113491FA5C.jpeg

charleyw and 5window like this.
  13. Also, I had a friend I worked with that collected and sold lots of old Oklahoma tags. He just passed away about 2 or 3 weeks ago and I am not sure what they will do with all the tags. I also work with his son and could ask. I just hate to be “that guy” asking about his dads stuff too soon, but I also need a 1960 tag.

I can check on 32 and 46 tags too if you want me to @free07110

lothiandon1940 and free07110 like this.
  14. free07110

free07110

please do! Pm me if you have any luck.

guthriesmith likes this.
  15. Thanks for pointing that out. I took it down. Sorry for offending.

5window likes this.
  16. The South Carolina DMV has a lot of letters & number that can not be used on a YOM license plate and I have been told other states have similar laws.

I have a extra S.C. 1932 license plate that is regulated to hanging on the wall in the garage. HRP

Unavailable Year of Manufacturer License Plates Year of manufacture license plates are not available with the following letter or letter combinations. Personalized and special license plates are also not available for use. Contact the SCDMV personalized plate unit at 803-896-9638 to check availability of a desired plate number before purchasing a plate.

A CG ES KC USN RT USN AA CH EU KE NB S UT AC CL F KI NC SB V AD CN FF KM NF SBM VA AF CN FL KS NG SD VC AFA CO FM KT NP SE VF AG CP FP KV NU SF VL AH CR FR L NZ SG VT AI CRCT FS LC P SH VV AK CS FT LE PC SI W AL CV FV LH PD SM WA AM D G LK PH SN WB AN DC GA LN PK SP WD AQ DCA GF LS PL SR WE AR DCF GS LTGV PN SS WF AS DCN HA LV POW SSM WL AU DFC HC M PP ST WP AV DL HF MA PS STP WS AZ DMA HH MC PT T WT B DMC HI ME PU TD WW BB DMF HL MG PV TH X BC DMM HP MH PW TK XA BE DMN HS MM QD TL XP BK DP HSA MR R TM XZ BM DS HSB MS RA TN Y BP DU HT MU RC TP YJ BU DV HV MW RD TS Z BY E II MY RE TX ZB C EA IN N RF U ZC CA ED J N02 RG UC ZD CB EF JC N03 RH UF CC EM JD N08 RJ UP CD EQ JM N24 RM US CF ER K N99 RS USA

The Magic Ratchet likes this.
  17. 5window

5window

Ok, me,too.

18. Ok, so for anyone that might be interested in some old OK and KS tags, sounds like I know where a few thousand are fixing to be for sale. They don't really want to have an auction, so either someone that is a collector of these needs to make a big offer or something, or maybe a few folks go in together or something... I gave them a short list of some years I need including the two talked about here in the original post. Shoot me a pm if you have any specific needs. I don't know how much the tags may be per tag, but I know he had them from about the time OK started having tags through at least the early 60's and likely many newer ones that most of us wouldn't care about as well. It does sound like there aren't many muscle car year tags in good condition.

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

I got tired of dealing with the inability to re-register at the tag agent, so I let mine lapse. Have to mail it in to the DMV? Why?

Why in this day and age would you not have online as a renewal option? Plus, I didn't want the stupid sticker on the windshield.

20. Same reason we are about the last to get that real ID drivers license? Anyway, I figure mailing it in isn’t all that hard since I am one of those guys that still writes checks for all my bills and mails them too... :rolleyes:

irishsteve likes this.
  21. Roothawg

Roothawg

When do we have to have the real ID? I still don’t have mine.

22. Not sure but I know they are finally available.

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

I know you have to have your crap together. It takes a LONG time to process. You won’t pop in on your lunch hour and get it done...

24. IMG_8293.JPG

Finally found a picture of mine. Yep, I had to mail in my renewal, sort of a pain.
    Yikes! sorry about the picture size

25. 5window

5window

I'm not getting one. I'll use my passport. Far easier than gathering all the required crap and traveling to get an interview.. Plus with a pandemic, where would I go, anyway? :)

guthriesmith likes this.
  26. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Maine has a chickadee in the upper left of the plate... for 20 years i have run clay smith cams' red headed woodpecker stickers covering the chicks...

guthriesmith likes this.
  27. DaveK87

DaveK87
    from Illinois

In Illinois you don’t have to register your YoM plate (surprisingly with the red light cameras and tolls on almost every highway) but you do need to carry with you a current plate with registration. I keep mine under my coupe seat with updated sticker.

I just checked eBay and there are a few Oklahoma 1946 plates with 5 digits, 2 numbers a dash and 3 numbers. Or 1 number a dash then 4