Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Buddy Ingersoll's Super Stock '56 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Henry427, May 11, 2017.

1. Henry427

Henry427
    from Utah

Long before the Pinto, the Oldsmobile, and the turbo Buick, Buddy raced a Super Stock 1956 Chevy two door sedan with a 265 cubic inch engine. The car was an NHRA record holder in it's class at one time, sorry, forgot the class. The car was mainly raced in Illinois, Kentucky, and Indiana. I watched the car race many times, even when he went up against "The Little Red Wagon" in a wheelie bars down race one night! (the wagon went up in smoke and the '56 crossed the line for the win) In the entire time I watched the car race I never got a picture of it! I even knew Buddy and at the time was a teenager, but never took a picture of it. Buddy has a FB page dedicated to him but no one on the site has a picture of this car. In fact, few even remember it. I knew Mark, his son, he was younger than me but don't know how to get in touch with him. If anyone has a picture of that car please post! Lots of memories for me! Much appreciated!

1934coupe and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Have you looked on the Junior Stock thread? I've seen pictures of it on the net. All N/Stock though.

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Never knew that either! An old 56 Chevrolet "wheels up in the air" car I do remember, was a Super Stock car ran by "The Hardy Boys". Hope someone comes up with a photo. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. He might have run S/S in 1972, when we were forced into it. I think he bought the Olds from Jim Waibel in 73-74.

5. Henry427

Henry427
    from Utah

Buddy ran the 56 in the mid to late 60's

6. Then it was never a Super Stocker.

7. Henry427

Henry427
    from Utah

It's been 50 years since I first saw the car, 1967. I was 13 then. It was a two door sedan with a 265 power glide, so not sure what class it ran. I do know that junior stock type cars had a class change in the early 70's. I am almost sure that in the early 70's, 72 and 73 it ran a lower class in Super Stock....I know he put a dual four barrel set up on it at one point.....I had another friend that raced a 426 wedge automatic 1963 Plymouth and I know for sure that he ran SS/EA...that would have been the summer of 1972. I know Buddy's '56 Chevy set a national record in the late 60's but always thought he was SS...oh well, those were fun times back then!

8. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Buddy Ingersoll running his N/Stock 1956 Chevrolet powered by a 265/225 2x4 engine at the 1970 U.S. nationals.
    56 Chevy 265-225 N-S Buddy Ingersoll.jpg

9. ironrodder

ironrodder

Somewhere around '72 or '73 NHRA opened S/S a lot of stickers with cams because of pure stock. The rules for stock were pretty tight.
    I remember we chased a lot of SS/T '55 Chevy wagons. Brock and Nelson had a '55 Chevy SS/? That won the Summer nationals I think in '74. Memories are fading......

carpok likes this.