Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford & Chevy guys, do you have a favorite car from the opposing camp?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Crocodile

Crocodile

I am FOMOCO to the core, but I helped one of my best friends find a 55 Chevy 210 post sedan, and I have some lust for it.
    Prior to that, my other friend's 55 Cad coupe DeVille has been talking to me. I have said for years that that one is the only GM I would be proud to own.
    GM must have been on their game in 55!!!

2. Better look a little harder. I own 11 Fords, all with Ford engines. Had a chevy 2 once with a 390 C6 that ate chebies for lunch at the drag strip. Pontiacs are a soft spot with me but the styling of the '55 to '59 Fords is soooooo much sleeker than any gm product. MO.

Deuces, Texas57, ladyhrp and 3 others like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not anywhere near as brand specific as my screen name alludes to. I'm looking for a body to put my 8BA in and wouldn't turn up my nose at a shoebox or 52/53 Ford two door I wouldn't throw rocks at a F 1 though. I've owned more Cadillacs than any other brand over the years having had six that I actually drove plus a couple of others that passed through my hands. I just sold my Model A in July because it was going to be way more project than I had time or money for.
    I've got a 56 Desoto 330 Hemi out in the shed that may find a new home in the next few months simply because I am getting to the age where another project from start to finish may not be in the cards and that engine needs a full rebuild now.
    My 3/4 ton GMC has a Cadillac 500 rather than a Chevy engine in it.

On the other hand there are project cars or trucks for sale every day on the net that are or may have been on my "list' for a long time The one car I always really wanted and will never find or be able to afford was a 57 Buick Cabarrelo Wagon, I poked around going to see about one a few years ago and someone had run into it with a piece of farm equipment when I went to look at it.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Retired Ford engineer here with a stable of Ford powered rods-n-racers. But I'd love to have a '59 'vette. My favorite non-Ford would have to be the '53 Studebaker Starlite coupe.

5. An old ride is an old ride for me especially for a truck.
    However, as a person that was raised with Fords, the 37-38 Chevy makes a nice taildragger.
    59-61 gm offerings are hard to beat.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm a Chevy guy but I would have a 33 - 34 Ford coupe if I had that kind of money.
    powered by Chevrolet of course, "Fords Better Idea":)

7. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

Hard core Ford guy but I have a soft spot for a Black 59 Cadillac coupe deville with red interior.

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had a '37 Chevy rumble seat coupe for 30+ years and have a '36 Ford 3-window I've been building for 10 years. I like a variety of cars - why limit yourself ?

9. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

My stable has old Ford, old Chevy, and late model Mopar horsepower. So I like it all.

10. jay t.

jay t.

Falcon sedan deliveries ,Falcon ranchero, Comet wagon and a couple of early Dodge b bodies but I would like to get a 55 Chevy 210

11. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Ford guy but... I keep an eye out for '64-'66 Chevy/GMC vans. I like the flat glass and high headlights. When I looked for my first car it was Mustangs (all clapped out), 90"WB Chevy/GMC Van (never found one that wasn't beat like a work truck) or a sports car. I ended up with a '69 MGB GT. Right in my wheelhouse, $965. Since then I've had a bunch of cars. Never a GM or Mopar though. Mike

12. I grew up where if its pre-war get a Ford and post war always a Chevy. So a pre war Chevy I have always like is a 35 Coupe, I will never own one as I dont want to mess with all that wood. As for a post war Ford, I have always like 55 Ford Victoria 2 door hard tops. Has to be a hard top, I can't stand a Crown Victoria top

13. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Chevy guy but also love forward look mopars, and of course 40 fords. also really like 55-50 fords.

14. I’m a Chevy guy but for older hot rods, 54 and older, only a Ford will do.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

15. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

No, they do not. Better lay off the 'ludes, Chebbie boy

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is no opposing camp. Brand loyalty is synthetic tribalism designed to enhance profits is a capitalistic market system, but then again, so are sports.

My Ford Falcon has partial GM brakes, with GM Hydorboost, a Mercedes Benz clutch, a GM manual transmission, a rear axle from a different Ford product that was not a car, and is filled through a Jaguar gas cap.

My Ford Model A is being built with a Chrysler engine, topped by a GMC blower, coupled to a GM transmission, with a Chevrolet steering box, and modified Buick front hubs.

My former Chrysler Jeep Cherokee had a Dana 44 off-highway industrial equipment front axle (1/2" wall tubes, for real), with Chevrolet outers, a Dodge sourced Dana 60HD rear axle, with GM hubs, and GM brakes on all four corners.

Just about everything that I have built in the last 30-years was assembled from what I felt were the parts most fit to the intended purpose. None were selected for brand alone. The day I do that, is when that brand pays me to use those parts, AND I approve of the quality.

17. Slopok "Most guys that own Fords have Chevy engines!"

A few years ago a group of us went on a cross country tour. 8 cars (1 Dodge with Dodge power) and 7 Fords of all descriptions. My Ford was the only Ford powered car on that tour.

A small sampling to be sure, but I would tend to agree with the idea that most guys that own Fords have Chevy engines, especially in anything pre '55.

Having said that, no Ford of mine will ever have a Chevy engine. ;)

18. I am a Ford guy but I would love to own a '62 Chev Bel Air hardtop.

19. Post war I like Chevys, 55-57 being favorites. There is something about green 68 Mustang fast backs though.Pre war I love them all.

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm a pretty diehard Chevy guy, but I've always loved the '33-'34 Ford coupes. And for something a little more modern, the '65 Comets!

ladyhrp, 49ratfink, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  21. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I also love them all, and I've owned both, though I'm more Ford than GM. However, I would like me a 55 210 post or an early 60s impala. Probably not enough for my next ride not to be another Ford tho. Next for me is an A Pickup build....

22. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I was always crazy about the 64 Galaxy 500. Oh man a 427 with a four speed..

23. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

I have always been a Ford guy but really dig the 37 & 38 Chevy Coupes.

24. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I have always had Fords but I want a 1964 Corvette.

ladyhrp, 210superair and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. A 1962 Bel Air 409/ 4 speed car would be nice. HRP

[​IMG]

26. skooli

skooli

I don't have any serious brand loyalty, but pre-60's Fords are my favorites. That being said, I'd love to have a 59 Chevy Apache Fleetside like these

apache3.JPG apache.jpg :

Chavezk21, ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  27. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with @gimpyshotrods .

I’m a car guy leaning toward Chevy. However, my only current ‘hot rod’ is a Model A with 348-Chevy power and a host of other parts. I love the early Chrysler and Dodge drivetrains and cars, for they often epitomize the wild imagination of a hot rodder; seriously... a 413 with a cross-ram intake - wow. It’s all good.

john

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, 210superair and 2 others like this.
  28. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I appreciate most other brands but I bleed Ford blue.
    Actually Mercury which is like a Ford except it has lock washers.
    First On Race Day

29. My problem is, I Love anything with wheels! But here's a few of my favorites. You did say Fords and Chevys? { 27 to 40 Fords }. { 37 & 38 chevy coupes,} also {49 to 64 Chevrolets }. { 53 to 69 Corvettes }. { 61 to 63 Bullet T birds }. All forget it ! I'll just have one of everything!!!!!:)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    ladyhrp and 3W JOHN like this.
  30. TCTND

TCTND

When I'm in Ford mode my favorite GM offerings are '56-'57 and '63-'64 Corvettes. When I'm in GM mode it's Ford model 40's (but I'm a little biased). Actually, the whole "Ford vs GM" thing is pretty silly ; both have produced wonderful vehicles and both have foisted catastrophes on the public. As old car enthusiasts we have the benefit of hindsight to pick the best of what was and run with it.

Fordors, ladyhrp and 3W JOHN like this.