Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Yes it’s still Possible.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell Rish, Dec 5, 2020.

1. thehazguy

thehazguy

Good luck and be safe. Gotta love those 210's.

57 - 2020.png

2. ...looks like a dandy project,...how bout some pics of the parts cars when you get em, thanks.

1Nimrod, Thor1, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  3. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Awesome! Welcome to the 210 2 dr sedan club!!! Congratulations!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1Nimrod, Deuces, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  4. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

IMG_4556.JPG
    We got our in 2001 after much hoping and praying...and bugging the owner! Lol

hotrodharry2, 1Nimrod, WC145 and 24 others like this.
  5. belair

belair

I agree about keeping it a 210, but no, the world does not have enough Bel Airs.

'34 Ratrod, VANDENPLAS, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  6. brady1929

brady1929

Congratulations.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Now there is some well earned patina !!

Nice score.

VR&C.

1Nimrod and 31hotrodguy like this.
  8. { Congrats!!!! } I love a 57 210 sedan. A picture of my mother, and dads 1957 Chevrolet. Also my mom, younger brother, and I. That's me with the cool flat top! Ron..... 382.jpg 237.jpg

hotrodharry2, 1Nimrod, WC145 and 23 others like this.
  9. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Good luck with it! Plenty of iron still out there, it usually outlasts it owner. I know where there is a 66 chevelle SS396 sitting in a storage container, hasn't moved since 1990. Usual deal, not for sale, going to fix it up someday.

1Nimrod, Joe Travers and loudbang like this.
  10. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Complete rear/and leaf springs. A few pieces of stainless some dash stuff. Grill insert and a few bumper pieces. The roof and top on the second one is solid. Hinges etc. trunk lid is usable. But they have been picked over pretty good. Muncie and shifter look and feel pretty solid. I’ll bolt them back together and clean them up but it feels tight and the input bearing feels really good.
    Took the headers to the cars wash to get rid of the dirt dubbers. Funny how they are so industrious.

Attached Files:

11. Always loved those earlier small domeless caps......INXS says don't change a thing.........

12. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Several questions for those of you that have 210 s. What is the widest wheel that will fit under the rear. The wheel openings have already had the lip radiused and rolled.
    Who has the best bolt on disc kit. I really am looking at not doing the full race rear end set up/ etc. I would like to kinda leave it alone other than safety I really am trying to resist the urge. Lol

1Nimrod, chryslerfan55, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Carlmac 369

Carlmac 369

That right there might be the best looking 57 Chevy I have ever seen. Not a fan of them at all but I like that one.

14. Squablow

Squablow

I have an 8" wide rim on the back of mine and it does fit with a fairly tall tire but it's close to rubbing. I'm told you can relocate the leaf springs underneath the frame instead of on the sides and gain a ton of space that way, but it's not a bolt-on thing I don't think.

If the roof on that one parts car is shit, cut the B pillars out along with the complete quarter window surround area and the inner panel where the window regulators mount, all in one big chunk. Those are the pieces used to convert a 4 door sedan into a 2 door sedan, and it's hard to find 2 door sedan donor cars anymore. If you never use them I'm sure someone would buy those pieces.

My '57 above was a 4 door and was converted in that way.

Also, I just recently sold a complete dash structure (bare, with nothing in it, but cut out of a '57 body so it could be re-installed into a body at the original spot weld points) for $325 so if the dash frame isn't rotted or chopped up that's worth the time to cut out in one big piece as well.

The roof skin and drip rails are the same between 2 door sedan and 4 door sedan so it'd be a shame to cut the top off of the donor car with the good roof when doing so would ruin those B pillar pieces.

I see a lot of good shit there, I think you'll do really well if you part out those donors.

15. Good find, and I'd rather have a 2 door post car than a hardtop. Post cars are not as popular as the hardtops, which makes them more affordable for people who like them. Not as prone to leaking as hardtops. Hope you never get upside down in it, but if you do, a post car will hold up and protect you better than a hardtop. That's mostly what they raced in NASCAR back in the day. On the ones they raced in NASCAR, they used Chevy pickup rear ends, same width and spacing on the spring pads but a stronger rear with 6 lug wheels. And of course they used 6 lug pickup brake drums/hubs on front. Like the Black Widow '57 Smokey Yunick built.

1Nimrod, WC145, chryslerfan55 and 6 others like this.
  16. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love it ! Just have fun !

1Nimrod, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Will it buff out?:D

VANDENPLAS, Lil32 and loudbang like this.
  18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My brother built one out of 10x10 ash beams from an old church off a land fill area, just about 6' clearence. I'd build one but have to use some trees for posts as the drop is 50', can't depend on the trees staying alive, old elms I think.

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  19. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Thank you.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Thanks for all the info. I’ll have more questions I am sure. I am trying to keep it as I remember it as a kid.
    Normally I would be full blown race car mode(my post here on other stuff let’s you know that’s my back ground lol) and truthfully it’s cheaper to go that way. But this is one of those that’s really about remembering somethings that I had forgotten about. And would like to go back. If only for a moment.
    I wished I didn’t know now what I didn’t know then is the way I heard Bob Seger say it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  21. 55Belairretrorod

55Belairretrorod
    from Australia

With the right offset you can fit a 275/60/15 on an 8" rim under a '55. No reason you shouldn't be able to do the same on a '57. Tight but doable.
    Have fun with it!

22. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

As to the question will it buff out? Don't know - But I think a goof batch of AWSOME/ with some really hot water will go a long way. I have buffed a Willys and a few others - cant possible hurt.
    The parts cars will probobly be for sale before long. I had already thought about the quarters and dash, but honestly would rather let them go as they are. Will deal with that when we get time/ and the weather backs off . The cold isn't the problem- the wet ground is .

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If you have titles or can title the parts cars, rough as they are, they may be starter projects for someone. It all depends how solid the frames and floors are. With all the new panels available nowadays, I've seen some really rough Tri fives saved lately. It's like anything else that's popular; What was a parts car or ready to be stripped and sent to the junk yard 30 years ago is now a project car.

24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Another one (or two or three) SAVED!!! That is an interesting rack the car's up on. Be sure and post your progress on the car. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

1Nimrod, catdad49, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.
  25. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Any one seen a set of headers like this. No name on them. But well made

Attached Files:

1Nimrod, WC145, chryslerfan55 and 5 others like this.
  26. Possibly Hooker. Look For a 4 digit part number on the flange.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

The flanges look very similar to hookers. I didn’t see a tag ,but all hooker headers may not have had a tag.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    1Nimrod and loudbang like this.
  28. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Got the shifter bolted back on the Muncie. Even after all this time and some obvious surface rust. Bolted back to trans and installed shift rods. Like clock work. Short throws /and still tight as can be. Hurst made one heck of a piece back in the day. Yep I got the steel ring for the boot.

Attached Files:

29. cfmvw

cfmvw

Your mom is a beautiful woman! I especially like the second picture...nobody wears gloves like that anymore!

30. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

header numbers are 1002 L and 1002 R.

1Nimrod, Deuces, Lil32 and 2 others like this.