Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Achievable Pre-War Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RyanAK, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

Great read. I only wish I had something to add. I once had a 1930 model A. I payed $50.00

Outback likes this.
  2. RyanAK

RyanAK

No ‘Z’ this time around, friend!

3. RyanAK

RyanAK

I’ll PM you this evening, pal. It’s my birthday, so...

4. 5window

5window

Happy birthday!

5. RyanAK

RyanAK

Thanks friend!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. RyanAK

RyanAK

PM finally sent!

7. RyanAK

RyanAK

8. RyanAK

RyanAK

I’ve been pretty sure about a roadster for this first build, but a couple of PMs had me reconsidering a sedan. Then I stumbled across this Tudor... and yeah, I could drive this. Wire wheels would be my only change.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  9. Gorgeous isn't it.

10. RyanAK

RyanAK

It really is. I’ve been collecting inspiration photos. My photo folder labeled “Pre-War Supe Job” currently has 381 pics in it. Folder “Pre-War Prototype Jalopy” (period photos) has 229.

I may be approaching analysis paralysis. Inspiration overload! o_O

11. what tach drive are you running?

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like Ryan hasn't been on since February.

I'm in the been there done that with the life gets in the way of projects.

The only thing I can throw in the mix is if you have a tight budget don't get carried away buying high cost trinkets. I could have a pretty nice A chassis under my 8BA for what I spent on Finned aluminum heads, 2 carb intake, fancy finned air cleaner and some other trinkets. Cart before the horse, lots of spent money and no running rolling chassis. Trinkets can come later after the car is up and running and has been driven for a while unless they just fall in your lap for too good of a price to pass up.

13. Retson, tach drive is a Stewart Warner. Mostly used on industrial motors.

Outback likes this.
  14. 5window

5window

I live about 8 miles from Ryan. Met his great family and gave them a lot of car magazines and stickers for Spencer, his son. I haven't heard from him since he last posted. No answered emails, calls,etc. I think his dad was ill? Hope all is okay and he gets into calmer waters soon.

Outback likes this.
  15. RyanAK

RyanAK

Damn pandemic... and, you know. Work. Sorry for being off the radar. COVID got my grandmother and my parents were quarantined twice for close contact with positive cases. My family was quarantined once. The contractor on my project had the entire gang of 25 craft quarantined for 2 weeks. Then I started a project working 50-60 hours a week without internet or good phone access to the outside world. Until I got home at 8:00, I didn't have much left in me for just about anything.... let alone the nights where it was 1:00am when I got back to the ranch.

Jeff, hope you and Betsy are well. Spencer was asking about you last night, which is why I popped in over here. I'll give you a call. Spence wants to have a small "Spencer's Awesome Car Show" at the house. Your A and Mustang were first on his list!

Back to the topic at hand. I'm looking for a chassis again. :cool:

Outback and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. 5window

5window

Ryan, great to hear from you. Just happy to hear you are okay,but so sorry to know about your grandmother. This virus is just bad. I miss Spencer a lot. Tell him hi. I've got more magazines and stickers for you and probably some other stuff. The cars haven't been out much-nowhere to go!-but I'm up for Spencer's show if I possibly can. Just in case, I'll PM you my phone. Take care.

17. RyanAK

RyanAK

Completely agree. We’re going barebones to start so we can afford to get the mechanicals and body as solid as possible. Then on to the dress up.

Outback likes this.
  18. RyanAK

RyanAK

So the reason a pre-war build is back on the front burner is because my 6 year old little boy discovered photos on my iPad of various projects and had realized you can build a car from (essentially) scratch. He’s on the spectrum and has singular focus. I want to support that passion, so finding a chassis has become a priority. Hoping to find some in-progress builds to visit too, so he can get a sense of what it’s all about.

chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  19. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Ryan;
    For a frame, if you don't *need* a real 20->30's frame, look at ~69->75 IH 1/2T & 3/4T pu. Or ~53->59 Stude 1/2T & 3/4T pu. The frames are remarkably similar to 30's large LWB coupes/sedans that were used in the "Junk Formula" days. Mostly straight 8's were used, but some used large straight 6's.The killer will be the correct size wire wheel w/chromed lock rings, for the correct look n feel. For a late 20's look, large dia solid steel disc wheels will work. But you can make an arguably convincing 2-man board track/Indy replica. Otherwise, for frames, look at Hudson, Studebaker, Nash, Chrysler, etc.
    & make sure to post lots of pics... :D .
    Are you aware that PA was an extremely large & very popular hot-bed of dirt n board track racing in the 20's->30's?
    IIRC, a website called Northwest Speedsters (or something like that) is a good source of ideas.
    PS: Sorry iffen I'm heading down the wrong track, I didn't want to re-read the whole post, & couldn't remember exactly *which* pre-war build style ou're chasing. Sorry iffen I stepped on toes.
    Marcus...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  20. RyanAK

RyanAK

Where does a year go? Well where it went for the Sabo clan is a long story. But! I should have a running Model A chassis under the shade tree by the weekend. Stay tuned. :cool:

brEad and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. banjorear

banjorear

I was really purposeful about making my roadster a pre-war style build. Thought was a young guy built it in '42. Everything from accessories, heads, and intake were picked to be pre-war. I had to resist a lot of temptation and stick to my overall vision for the build. IMG-1015.jpg IMG-1016.jpg IMG-1016.jpg IMG-1017.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    GASSERBOB, Outback, 40two and 16 others like this.
  22. RyanAK

RyanAK

That... is a great looking roadster. Like you, I'm going to try for a period correct pre-WWII build, though likely a bit earlier than your '42. I haven't specified a year yet, but I will... and that will keep me honest and prevent scope growth. I'm going to try to keep it simple and limit much 'fabrication'. My spec so far is:

Model A Frame
    Model A 4cyl, transmission and rear end

That's it. We'll see how this develops. I'm anxious to have the chassis home so I can go through it and make a plan.

brEad likes this.
  23. banjorear

banjorear

Thank you. Your plan sounds spot on. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions along the way.

chryslerfan55 and Nobey like this.
  24. Fogger

Fogger

banjorear, You definitely followed your original plan and didn't waver. Great looking '29, sure could have been built in the '40s. I have a friend who is a great craftsman, but gets confused on his builds and follows no era. But he builds them to his liking and that's all that matters.

25. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

20210821_144715.jpg A very simple build. Mine has a 221 flathead 49 merc 3 speed with electric overdrive column shift. The rest stock model A. Perfect immediate post ww2 build

26. 5window

5window

Ryan, great to have you back,man. I missed Spencer's car show and have wondered how you are doing. Looking forward to your build.

RyanAK and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. banjorear

banjorear

Thank you. I really appreciate the kind words.

28. indyjps

indyjps

Running driving chassis, non-ford is less costly.

Open / speedster opens up the options. You could start with just a cowl, depending on your ability to fab. Something like this can use parts from any number of cars, the panels don't have to be complicated
    Screenshot_20220824-171049_Chrome.jpg

Outback, dmar836, aussie57wag and 3 others like this.
  29. RyanAK

RyanAK

Spot on! We’re going for dead simple. Mild hop up of the banger, lowered, almost certainly fenders. Body… whatever comes along at the right time.

Cool speedster. I do like them, but want to go with a stock body. Sheetmetal fab is my weak suit. Appreciate the thoughts!

aussie57wag and indyjps like this.
  30. RyanAK

RyanAK

I’ll fill you in, Jeff. Give me a call some night and we’ll chat. And let’s make plans for Spencer and your granddaughter to get some wrench time together!

5window likes this.