Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early Hedman Headers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Moors, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Moors

Moors
    from Windsor CA

I just picked up these early Headman headers and was wondering if anyone has any reference photos? Also what applications these may be for? I need reference photos and dimensions of possible missing flanges to bring them back to original

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

AHotRod, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Small block Chevy. Original application was probably an early Corvette or 55 Chevy, but that shape fits fine into early hot rod frames.

There's no way you will find a perfect match to the missing chunks, so you might as well sell them to me. I'll take the headache off your hands.

Or you could start with some tube and cut and shape to fit. That's probably how Hedman did it the first time. Make sure to gas weld it to match.

loudbang and -Brent- like this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Early TRI Y style?

loudbang likes this.
  4. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

You have two left hand headers there because of the locations of the Corvette overflow tank mounts. But since you would be needing to do some reconstruction to the shortened one, you could cut the bracket off it to make it a right side header. I too have a pair like those and unfortunately like yours, mine have been cut on over the years.

loudbang likes this.

5. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Note also:

And that mounting bracket was also used for the generator. If these came off of the same car, one clue since
    both sides have that mount, is that they are from a C1 corvette, as the generator is mounted on the passenger
    side and the expansion tank on the driver's side. That design would fit into my '61 vette.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I also have a pair of those Hedmans hanging on my shop wall...except mine are old chrome. Looks like the same guy that worked on my headers worked on yours. Weird.

20201205_164447.jpg

loudbang and -Brent- like this.
  7. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

They are not a matched pair...the cut one would place the generator at the back of the block if used on the right side. Plus it has a notch for a '68 or later head water plug whereas the other doesn't have the notch.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Moors

Moors
    from Windsor CA

Sorry about the confusion. In the pictures I posted above I did not make it clear that I had both pairs. I did some digging in my collection of hot rod spotlite books and found this picture. The shorter header pair looks like they had a rectangular flange welded to it. Also it seems like the header came in two pieces. The second half has a bolt on exhaust cut out, with a turn out running to a muffler. Does anyone have the second half I’m missing? I need measurements for the missing half, Tubing, flanges etc

IMG_4209.JPG IMG_4210.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

-Brent-, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Since you have the above pictures of the original design, you can use known measurements on yours to scale the missing parts. I've done this on occasion, and gotten very close. I've even taken pictures and had them enlarged to full size at copy places so I could make measurements even easier.

AHotRod, loudbang and Moors like this.
  10. fortynut

fortynut

Don't tell anybody I told you this but I used to buy Hedman Headers out the backdoor. Yeah. No shipping. No box. Cheaper than anywhere else. No idea if they still do that kind of deal, or not. I also know of a shop in Pasadena where they make headers and the guy who runs it might sell you a set to fit whatever vehicle you own. Now, I'll admit this was years ago --- as you can see from where I reside now. But, a good deal is a good deal; and the only way to find one is to look for it. By the way, I always hated mail-order, and buying stuff off the internet. I know swap meets are in the closet for the time being, but going to them is like walking around in a bunch of car guy's attics and the old saying about money is even more true if you like to haggle. I used to hear in New York, the short time I lived and worked there, that the Eleventh Commandment is: Thou shalt not pay retail. On, the flip side, one of the cheapest investments a person who works on cars can make is a set of gauges, hoses, regulators, and a torch kit. I even bought my own bottles because renting them is like worrying about overdue books. Any Community College in SoCal has classes on a variety of subjects and that's where I learned to finesse what until then, was dirt dobber work (there is a species of Southern Wasp that builds it nest out of mud aka as dirt dobbers, and they just slap it one and it looks like a lot of welding jobs by those who can't weld worth a flip). Yeah. You should know this, too. Unless headers are equal length and tuned for the engine at a certain rpm they pretty much live up their name as 'convenience headers'. I found out, after even saying, "If they made headers for lawn mowers, I'd put a set on mine," that for all the hassles, the leaking gaskets and bolts that walk out of the heads, and the clearance underneath the car, and certainly putting them on, that when push comes to shove, even if you lose the 'hot rod' look and perhaps some improvement in horsepower (if you can actually tell that) the best solution to building a 'driver', in order to retain your sanity and get more actual road miles out a 'beater' you can't beat cast iron manifolds. Yeah, I know. It's just my opinion and I'm only bringing it up because someone has to say it.

11. Moors

Moors
    from Windsor CA

Well the reason I am going through all this work to recreate something of the past when I can just go out and buy new headers or use cast iron ones, it’s because I love 60s period correct hot rods and speed parts. I’m planning on putting these on a early small journal 327 that has a 282 crank makes it a 302( not a z28 302) it has a isky custom grind cam, 10-1 compression, Weiand 4x2 intake, roto faze distributor, Holmes valve covers with stellings breathers, Ansen scatter shield and a whole lot of chrome. Im preparing myself for all the headaches I’ll run into with using manly 60s speed parts but it’ll be all worth it in the end. I’d take a picture but everythings blown apart. I’ll do a thread on it but that’s for another day. Anyways I have a gas welder I’m planning on using to recreate what’s missing and I’m just looking for some pictures of the lower half. If not I’ll just make my own from what I found but any information is greatly appreciated

AHotRod, loudbang and Wanderlust like this.
  12. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have a Buddy that purchased a BB Prison Farm truck .When he got it ($600.00) it had a very OEM looking Corvette looking engine , in it . I helped him yank it out and install a 307 in it . The very complete looking Vette engine laid there for 2 1/2 years . I ran into another friend with a 59 Vette and told him about the engine . Sure enough it was 59 Corvette , complete carb , valve covers , road draft tube , generator and no ignition covers . $235.00 ! It had the very same headers as shown in the photos .

loudbang and Moors like this.
  13. fortynut

fortynut

For the hassle of trying to find the missing pieces, and considering the missing parts are straight tubing, if I were dealing with it, I'd source the materials and put the headers on the engine in the car as is (using a couple of bolts) then using wire, and various sizes of wire ties and where heat will be the most intense use various sizes of radiator hose clamps to hold the parts in place, tack them and then carefully remove and weld them, and add to that, etc. That is pretty much how headers are engineered to fit various applications, even if those that go into production get their bends done all in one go on a mandrel bender. Also learn to cuss a blue streak --- because it will be frustrating. And, be careful with the welder (or torch). I have scars from dealing with some of my 'exhausting work'. When you're talking Sixties, not everything was done with credit cards. Yes, there were shops that built parts and complete cars, but a good number of the rides we still remember and love had a lot of owner fab time in them, even if some stuff had to be farmed out. The point is starting, doing what needs to be done, and finishing with something that has some semblance of what got your ball rolling in the first place.

AHotRod, loudbang and Moors like this.
  14. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

The pair of headers that are cut off but look like they might have had a rectangular flange to bolt to a lower set of tubes look like the headers they used on Popular Hot Rodding magazine's Project X 57 Chevy. I would think Hedman probably built them as 2-piece headers so the portion that bolted to the heads would fit multiple applications and the lower, less complicated section would be application specific. Project X started in 1965 and was one of the longest if not the longest running magazine project car. Do an internet search for Project X and you should be able to see the headers they used which was in about 1965. Or since you live nearby, come by my house and I can show you the complete series on Project X.

AHotRod, bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Those look like the ones we had on our 1940 Willys Coupe SBC motor. The headers tucked inside the frame and went back under to the stock muffler system. Our Willys Coupe was street legal and originally in the B/Gas Class with the 283 SBC, then with a 671 292 SBC motor and some strategically placed welded in steel plates, we were now in C/Gas.
    upload_2020-12-6_4-2-8.png
    Our 292 SBC motor looked like this one, but this photo shows extended tubes to make the headers go further away from the heads. Our Hedman Headers went straight down below the motor and out towards the back. We did not have a bracket like yours. The bracket was probably used for a generator or later alternators.

Jnaki

For a mass produced system, they were the best on the market. But, as the competition grew, custom made equal length headers started showing up, usually into the fender openings. (with a small tube going back under to the muffler to remain legal)

AHotRod and Moors like this.
  16. Moors

Moors
    from Windsor CA

Hi Craig, Im somewhat familiar with project x. I knew I’ve seen it before so I did some digging in my 60s magazine stash and found popular hot rodding September 1966. I looked at the pictures and did some reading, they’re hedman headers but not the same style I have, close but no cigar. It is interesting though, the design of the header set is called the two-stage four-tube which has two different sizes of tubing. It seems way ahead of its time.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

AHotRod and loudbang like this.
  17. Moors

Moors
    from Windsor CA

Wow that’s a really neat story, thanks for sharing. The headers are probably outdated compared to today’s standard but they sure look cool on a period car.

AHotRod and jnaki like this.
  18. bchctybob

bchctybob

Those old Hedman headers will certainly compliment the other parts you are planning to use. I don’t think it’s wise to try to duplicate the bottoms from pictures. Forty nut has the right idea. Put the engine in the chassis along with the motor mounts, starter, steering box, clutch linkage and master cylinder/ pedal assembly (if under the floor). Then use U-bends or J-bends to create a lower half that fits your car using the pictures as a guide. Whether you build in a mid flange or not is up to you. As you can see from the headers you have, the top halves could be welded into a single outlet short header or a dual outlet longer header. Your choice. I would think that the longer version would work better with a warmed over engine.
    Maybe you’ll luck out and a H.A.M.B. member will have a set with the lower half that you could copy. Unfortunately there is no guarantee that it would fit your car. You’re better off building them on the car.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

AHotRod and jnaki like this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The Astorian has a set of hedmans on it

220B57CF-B0D0-41C9-A96C-528323BD7286.jpeg

AHotRod and Moors like this.
  20. bchctybob

bchctybob

Those look like the old HCH-1 header. The simplest of the bunch, it was really just a tubing manifold. They found their way onto a lot of hot rods in their day. Just look through the old magazines. It's really cool to see a set in use these days.

Moors, Budget36 and Moriarity like this.