Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***December 2020 Banger Meet Thread - Lil Saint Nick!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Dec 2, 2020.

1. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Dawg ,
    Yeah, Gary’s carved aluminum stuff has always been a pleasure to see. I wonder if he has a CNC machine ? Must have. Ive talked with him on occasion, and he has shown me great alum stuff he has made. Like his front drive oil pump belt driven arrangement. Must consist of dozens of pieces. You had to have written instructions to ever get it assembled right. He wrote out instructions. Im not good at puzzles, so opted out.
    Do you know what caused that engine to break that Pat built for racer ?

Jet96 and winduptoy like this.
  2. RussTee

RussTee

Pats front plate works great for me

winduptoy likes this.
  3. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The likely suspects return to the scene of the crime...
    and the get away car is banger powered

burl and Jet96 like this.
  4. railcarmover

railcarmover

Landed on a Big bore B block,4.060..I can get the slugs but can anyone point me toward a big bore head gasket?

5. Might try calling Best gaskets
    I know they can make for big bores
    Better get more than one that bore leaves little gasket area between bores
    About 3/16”

Be careful on the head too
    May have to open up the cbore

6. railcarmover

railcarmover

Thank you John. I'm considering sleeving it..

7. 97

Jet96, railcarmover and Kiwi 4d like this.
  8. patina steve

patina steve

are you a witness to the crime ...............what do you have on your get away car

winduptoy likes this.
  9. Star 351

Star 351

Checking in its the start of summer here in Australia, a few weeks ago one of dads friends stopped by on the way home from a rod run, his coupe has a freshly rebuilt banger with a b head, a down draft intake with a Webber, electronic ignition and a Mitchell overdrive
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    , I've been enjoying my hopped up banger in my sedan now the weather is getting better
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

What's in that glass jar? That looks like a fuel line with a lot of extra bends.

51 mercules likes this.
  11. railcarmover

railcarmover

upper cylinder lubricator.

Star 351 likes this.
  12. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Checking in. Found another photogenic spot on my Sunday morning therapy run. That's an old walking and wagon bridge from one of the plantations we have around. It's 46 degrees out down here in Southwest Georgia, cruising speed wind chill was significantly colder, but I was bundled up and happy. The new windshield sure helps. Happy December, everybody.

IMG_20201206_102130363_HDR.jpg

13. Star 351

Star 351

Railcarmover is correct

14. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

That's a great shot of the ol' speeder!

rwrj, Leon Sandcastle and winduptoy like this.
  15. railcarmover

railcarmover

Shoot my mouth off,then the next round goes square in the foot,this one at 4.060 was being set up for an OHV.

Attached Files:

16. guitarguy

guitarguy

Soon it will be Christmas for me. The Model T, A crank conversion is crated and ready to come back. Then just a little more local machine work and I can assemble the shortblock.

Speedster project 281.1.jpeg

17. If you mean this one; the crank broke at the flange! It was a three main! "I'm Shocked"!

Max McLain, the car owner/builder, bought a casting of a Jenkins Head from Dan Iandola. Max turned it over to Pat, who machined the casting, including making (I believe the valve covers); and designing and machining the intake manifold! Max has put together the engine a couple of times. He's resisted my urging him to put a five main girdle and a Crower crank in it. Since we share work space, I respect his age and wisdom. He's older than ME; and I'M older than the steel in the railroad tracks outside the shop!

max(4)a.jpeg

18. If you've got everything completely apart, depending on how much "Modification " you want to do to the engine; you might consider having the block and cylinder head "O-Ring'd"! I wished I'd done it to at least one of my engines! I've blown more gaskets than the 3 main guys have broke cranks!

Jet96 likes this.
  19. railcarmover

railcarmover

"O ringed" ? Like a wire fire ring?or did you seal water ports too?

20. Wires can be put in the deck but you need space between them
    This is a set of test wires in the deck
    Also typically you run solid copper gasket

Attached Files:

Old Dawg and Jet96 like this.
  21. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

@hotrodfil was that blue and black roadster of your friends ever in an American magazine? I seem to recall a group of similar roadsters in a magazine article. 90s maybe late 80s don't recall exactly.

22. railcarmover

railcarmover

Tractor pullers would use mechanics wire as a fire ring, the trick is the squeeze as I understand it, fire ring protrusion should be more than the gasket but not so much as to limit the gasket seating ..basically both items in compression at varying rates, yep, it makes my head hurt.

23. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Rich Fox and some of the other Bonneville guys lay .040 copper wire between the head studs on big bore/high compression engines..

Old Dawg and waxhead like this.
  24. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

I had my distributor apart last weekend to adjust total advance. Thought I would show the advance mechanism limiting system in this particular distributor. It had machine screws and nuts but I installed nutserts in the plate so I could adjust advance total without pulling the whole mechanism. 6DBBE06C-D37B-4DAE-9594-E99EF4D1D66E.jpeg

winduptoy and Binger like this.
  25. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I did this also when I fitted my Winfield 7:1 Crows-foot head
    Image 19-08-2016 at 7.23 pm.jpeg

winduptoy, Jet96 and rwrj like this.
  26. It was in Rod & Custom, and possibly an early Rodders Journal. Although very well spotted as I think by then it was painted red. There were three cars from my club - East Coast Sidewinders - in the article, all 27 T's. Spencer' four banger powered, Glen's black flattie powered and Tony Cardy's purple one. Tony's car is still around although it was sold on after he died. I still have the rather worn old race engine that he nursed into the 12's. Glen's car with a new owner still turns up at VHRA events but I don't know what happened to Spencer's car.

27. railcarmover

railcarmover

.040 copper wire? Does it work well?

28. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

@hotrodfil I thought so. I liked all three of those cars. They all had the right look to them.

29. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

@hotrodfil I thought so. I liked all three of those cars. They all had the right look to them.