Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Returning to Traditional

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willsullivan, Dec 3, 2020.

?
  1. Edsel 410

50 vote(s)
    72.5%
  2. Upgraded Flathead

19 vote(s)
    27.5%
  1. willsullivan

willsullivan

How much does A/C draw on an upgraded flathead? I would not be keeping it stock

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. willsullivan

willsullivan

What is your gearing? What speed parts did you use? Thats fantastic cruising speeds

3. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

390 cfm Holley
    Edelbrock intake
    Fenton headers
    Isky cam
    Ross pistons and crank
    Wilson Woods heads
    I will double check but I think 3.50:1 with really tall tires.
    The Tremec is out of a Ford so it has a deeper 1st gear. With the combination I can easily go from first to third, showing off I can go first to fourth and lug it out. Engine 274.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Elcohaulic and willsullivan like this.
  4. willsullivan

willsullivan

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm going off the beaten path and still staying FOMOCO-- 300 I6. Plenty of power, good gas mileage, good parts availability.

6. Wait - the 410 is ready to go - trans should be the same as FE or someone can correct me - they put the same auto behind it that Edsel as the FE's got........

Elcohaulic and willsullivan like this.
  7. willsullivan

willsullivan

I think you are right, all my reading says that the trans for the early MELs is the same as the FE

Elcohaulic likes this.
  8. willsullivan

willsullivan

Those are great little engines, but I dont own one, thats why its the choice between these 2. Well its really between 3 engines, but the 351w just isn't as funky as the flathead or edsel

9. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

I like funky

willsullivan likes this.
  10. Callmaker

Callmaker

410 and never look back...

willsullivan likes this.
  11. upspirate

upspirate

I was hesitating at the 410 because of trans, but you cleared that up , plus your experience says you can deal with the parts situation.
    For your uses, I think I'd go with the Edsel in the truck, and the flathead in the smaller "A"

King ford, Texas57 and willsullivan like this.
  12. willsullivan

willsullivan

In that case, anyone have a 4 speed transmission up for grabs that would support a big block?

13. Totally behind you on your all-Ford worldview!
    lol...As I was reading this, my mind was going, "Put the MEL in the truck and build the flatty for a cool A-V8 roadster project!" A sedan works, too... :)

I know some people think "real hot rods have three pedals" but do you really want to be in Florida traffic on a daily basis fighting a clutch? A C-6 (or even a beefed C-4, smaller case) would make life a lot easier and keep your left knee happier.

Texas57 and willsullivan like this.
  14. willsullivan

willsullivan

I would totally consider a c-6 if someone had one for a good price, but id prefer a 4 speed. I'm only 21 so I have plenty of time to change it if I want.

King ford and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  15. I would probably run the Edsel. It is an MEL and a tranny for an FE should bolt up. Yes if you plan to work the truck you should probably consider upgrading the rear. But I guess you could wait until you trash the original. LOL

alanp561 and willsullivan like this.
  16. willsullivan

willsullivan

Lol that is the plan!

17. AHotRod

AHotRod

The 410 engine with a C-6 =Spot-On !

alanp561 and willsullivan like this.
  18. 97

MEL the truck, with a C6 and 9 inch.. upgrade the brakes! and steering . You will need a power steer box , and great brakes under that lump of iron ........... it will be a good DD/ parts chaser.

Lots of parts from an F1 can be used to build a great traditional flavoured Model A Hot Rod.
    Steering column , wheel and box, front and rear brakes, trans X member, master cylinder, pedals, Motor and trans ! Even the wheels and tires.
    Use the flatty (with a blower :p) in the Model A , also use the pickup threespeed and the front brakes on a dropped axle ( juice bendix brakes). Use the brakes ,axles , side gears and the bearing ends of the F1 rear end housing to convert a banjo rear end to retained bearings and the matching rear brakes to the front ones. If you are going to use buggy spring on rear of the Model A , I would keep the torque tube and convert the truck trans to match.
    There you are , all planned out and a place for all the parts! Perfect recycling and waste reduction!:D
    Lots of tech how too do these things on the HAMB if you look.

19. willsullivan

willsullivan

Brilliant! Sounds pretty great to me!

20. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If either engine needs a rebuild have you priced that out?

willsullivan likes this.
  21. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This whole hot rodding thing was born on the principle of adapting for more power means more speed. You already have the 410 and you're willing to use it, so go ahead and use it. You're going to have one of the very few like it.

King ford and willsullivan like this.
  22. willsullivan

willsullivan

Yes that's part of the reason for this question. The edsel is done and machined, and the flathead needs a full rebuild

alanp561 likes this.
  23. willsullivan

willsullivan

That was my thinking too, and plus it has the perfect truck power curve, the torque curve looks like a table top

alanp561 likes this.
  24. Put a High Perf. 460/365 hp Lincoln engine with the C6 trans and away
    you go.

That is a Nice looking Truck!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

willsullivan likes this.
  25. Trucks are so versatile or you have so many options with a truck. Ah hell I don't know how to say it.

Top loader if you want to go full on hot rod (and spend money) C-6 for good old everyday, ease of operation and no hassle installation, or even a good old double granny truck 4 speed.

Later model Fords had an FE with a 4 gear that 4th was OD if I recall. (maybe that was a small block tranny o_O:oops:)

Probably better to find an engine with less choices. LOL

willsullivan likes this.
  26. willsullivan

willsullivan

Haha yeah, I might go c6 just to get it going and running, and then upgrade later. They make a TKO that would do well under it, I really need the overdrive

27. I say 410 with 4 speed and a 57 Ford 9" rear with 3:70 gears.

Dedsoto and willsullivan like this.
  28. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Let's not forget what MEL stood for – Mercury, Edsel, Lincoln. No Ford expert (not even close), but there're more parts available than just those supposedly for Edsel. A donor Mercury or Lincoln might be a thrifty package.

willsullivan likes this.
  29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I would go with the Edsel, plenty of power, and will handle the AC better than the Flathead. A C-6 will be far cheaper than a 4-speed, as the passenger car stick set-ups are getting hard to find, and expensive. I recently dug this out of my attic, where it has been since 1973, when I junked a 67- 390 Mustang. I am told the value is around $900. minus the shift handle. And the Flathead would be right at home in your Model A. IMG_5860.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. alchemy

alchemy

Are the cranks different on auto vs. manual MELs? Would he need to bore the end for a bearing?

willsullivan likes this.