Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. I really like that header!

Runnin shine and J.Ukrop like this.
  2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks @cactus1! Can you imagine the A or B that it was originally made for? It almost seems like it was for a competition car of some sort. I like to tell myself that it came from this one below—ha! I plan to run true duals with some sort of mufflers. The straight pipes on the Triumph got kind of old fast. 1_34_orig.jpg

3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Spent a little bit of time in the garage after dinner tonight making my switch panel. I still have to clean it up/detail it/put in the switches, but I'm pretty happy overall. Definitely reminds me of the old saying, "It's simple to make something difficult, but it's difficult to make something simple." I'm glad I took the simple route here, using the hardware from the column drop rather than mounting it off to the side. I feel as if this will be a bit more streamlined for my basic application. This panel was made out of a discarded aluminum shelf. Total cost: $0.
    IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1829.jpg IMG_1831.jpg IMG_1834.jpg

4. 97

Yeah , I should have realised David would be the man to help with that. I have seen roadster windscreen frames brazed before and they always seem to break again . I think they are just too flexible and prone to vibration, without much room to splint them internally ... and if you make a stiff point the glass breaks there.. damned if you do damned if you don't! Hard to know what to do!
    I think I would probably fix it as best I can and then look for parts or another damaged one at swap meets. Once I had the part I needed, dismantle the whole thing and replace the broken piece . I know the budget etc and the philosophy so just make it a long term goal, and move on with other stuff, the parts will turn up.

Maybe put a sleeve/fillet of some sort on the outside , that still allows it to function, maybe a mirror mount or ? and just call it a war wound, .... wear it with pride sort of thing, until it can be replaced.

5. That is how I did my panel for switches. If you go back to post 367 you can see I also use the panel for the tach. I went with a 31 later dash column support and used the gas tank mounted support for the panel. I used 1/8 x 1 inch angle with sheet metal riveted over it for better support. Panel is on both sides of column with tach, light switch, start button on left and choke on other side. I kept it 1/8 inch from touching gas tank on top. Your doing good, keep it up.

winduptoy and J.Ukrop like this.
  6. Haha! It probably did come from that one!!! ;)

7. Are you still running the A distributor?

8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I am not. I went with an FSI unit.

winduptoy and Hitchhiker like this.
  9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have my sweeping tube header that I am going to run when I switch intakes. It'll have true duals, and I'm starting to think about mufflers. I'd like something where the car sounds like a hot rod but not annoying. Once the header is in place, I'll make the call as to if they'll exit on the side or in the rear.
    IMG_1526.jpg
    I think I recall @gimpyshotrods having some good input on exhaust in another Model A thread?

guthriesmith, OFT, winduptoy and 2 others like this.
  10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Dude! pinch your self the next time you park it again for that oh so right photo op. You have a Henry Roadster, a good stance, a war era looks and style, a couple passed down hot rod history parts, a banger, a few incredible speed bits, a wicked header, with plenty of adventures ahead.
    I can’t get over the cool exhaust potential. Have you considered the true dual pipes exiting on the right under the back panel paired side by side like a shotgun barrels?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I vote exiting the back close to each other. Other wise it’s going to sound like a two cylinder garden tiller from the 50’s lol

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

My GMC six has duals that exit the back side by side, of course it's the other side. I like the look and the sound. Bangers like sixes have their own sound. Just let it happen. I agree not too loud. I ran straight pipes out the back of my pickup for one trip over the hill to Reno (only about 30 miles) and bought mufflers on the way home. It's still plenty loud.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  13. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

I run a similar header on my A, twin pipes (1-5/8) exit for and aft of the brake cross shaft hence the rear being lower. If I ever get around to working on getting it streetable I'll most likely run two full length pipes straight through.
    150920191353.jpg header.jpg

14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is another really nice A roadster. How much would the sound change if you switched which pair of ports ran into the same pipe? Would there be any scavenging advantage in which ports are paired?

J.Ukrop likes this.
  15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

The boys down in the repair shop lent me the cutouts for electrical boxes years ago... the bolt type...
    i would punch out the fuel, ameter and key holes to take 2.125" gauges...
    left the stock speedo and added a small tach... my $0.02.

16. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd seriously consider silver brazing that up. Your bicycle guy might have that talent. If done right it should be able to be done without bluing the plating and would polish up nicely. Proper flux and probably 45% silver. I'd do it for you if I/you....well really car was closer. Needs to be done on the car for alignment in my mind.
    My $.03

17. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

A couple of observations if I may: Growing up in Southern California in the fifties, a build like this would be a piece of cake. You could still buy a running, registered Model A for under a hundred bucks, even on a used car lot. Junk yards galore and a few speed shops even.

However, the power of the HAMB is awesome when you read about the generosity of members contributing to this project and the construction tips based on experience by posters. Both of my A powered hot rods were built more than 20 years a go and they're still works in progress.

I don't understand why you would put a flat head in this car when you can increase the stock A HP 50% from 40 to 60 for the price of three SBC crate motors!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I agree about leaving a 4 cylinder in it. It's not my choice but I really like where the car almost is right now.

chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  19. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

I just read though this thread and now I really want to build a traditional roadster hot rod. I have never built a hot rod but have always wanted to. So this is either going to motivate me to get going and build one or cause me to buy a bunch of parts off of craigslist and end up spending a lot of money for something I will never finish. I spoke to my wife about it. She just looked at me and said nothing. Ugh! Thanks Joey.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

A wife who says nothing, count your blessing. :)

21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! To be honest, it's still pretty surreal opening the garage door and having this car sitting there. Even better that so many pieces on it have come from both new and old friends. I plan to either run them along the side or out the back. Once the header is on there, I will be able to make a better judgement call.

Hahaha that may be unavoidable. On my Triumph, I ran TT pipes and it sounded pretty mean. Then I swapped for upswept buckhorns with long straight pipes and WHAM—instantly freakin' out the neighborhood.

Yeah, it'll be getting a pair of mufflers for sure. I like loud for the right cars, but I'm trying to keep my hearing in check.

22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

@Dedsoto your roadster is spot-on. It's cars like yours that are a big inspiration for mine.

Nice! I'll keep that in mind.

That's the plan. David is a master of brazing, and he says silver will do the trick. Thank you for the offer!

Seriously, I think of that every time I'm hustling to find certain old parts. It very well could have been easier then, but the fact that we have this worldwide community at our fingertips makes 2020 not so bad.

As far as the banger is concerned: I really am growing to like these engines—and I think as I drive mine more I'll understand them even better. That being said, I have a vision for an A-V8 in my mind. I want to be able to get it dialed in enough to take it on road trips, much like Bud Bryan did with "Project '29," Jake with the restored NieKamp roadster, and Ron Weeks with the "Highland Plating Special." They were able to make things work in a way I can only dream of at this point, but I hope to get there in the next 30 years or so.

Thank you! And don't worry, space and money are always tight, so I'll be running the banger for as long as I can.

Hell yeah! Welcome to the H.A.M.B. Glad to hear you're thinking about putting one together. There's a whole lot of info on here. The constant Craigslist searching is a critical part of the process!

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Might sound a little more like this intro ;)

winduptoy, chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

With Christmas coming up, it was a particularly busy weekend at the house. That being said, I was able to finish up the switch panel. IMG_1892.jpg
    IMG_1896.jpg
    Polished, but not too polished. It matches the condition of the gauge panel pretty well. Not perfect, but definitely passable. Oh, and I also polished the headlight switch on the steering wheel.
    IMG_1885.jpg
    On Saturday, I bought a replacement headlight for one that was burnt out. This was the first time I told the guy at the parts store what I was working on. It didn't exactly register, but I believe I got what I needed. I love being to walk to pick up parts.

So what's happening next? My brake drums are with Jeff at Moose Motors up north, so once they're back I'll get them installed. I plan to wire the headlights and taillights this week. I ordered my low-PSI fuel pump and regulator today at lunch, so I'm slowly collecting parts. I'm trying to keep the momentum going!

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

So this is what it’s like when you start with a whole car.

I see the appeal lol

26. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

agreed... my experience is with "HOLES cars" ...

27. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I had a lot of Non Functional’s Holes in our choppers

winduptoy, J.Ukrop and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

There's a little more to the story of how this car started that I can't share quite yet, but I agree. I'm taking the easy route here!

29. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Last night I wired up the headlights using the NOS fused switch and 12 gauge wire. Everything works as it should, although it is generating a fair amount of heat on the power input (but nowhere else on the switch). I checked all connections and they seem snug. To help remedy the situation, I'll be installing a relay later this week.
    IMG_1926.jpg
    Some cloth-wrapped wire...
    IMG_1927.jpg
    ...and my favorite era-correct soldering iron...
    IMG_1939.jpg
    Make for a bright night! It bugs me that the headlights are different. I am buying a matching set later. Hey! What's with that slightly mis-aligned modern license plate?