Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Finding The Right Steel

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thegearhead, Nov 30, 2020.

1. thegearhead

thegearhead

My lil Crosley do to brake upgraded/modifications i have to make new steering arm for the spindle.
    The original had a threaded tapered end and i will be doing the same setup my buddy can machine the tapper and threads. I will be getting a 7/8 solid rod just not sure what type of metal to use?
    This is going in a 4cyl small car maybe 2000lbs when done.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure but am curious enough to give you a bump so our chassis builders can spot the thread.

3. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

4130 chrome moly

4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

You want something strong that will bend in case of an accident, too hard and it will be brittle and just break.

There's a reason steering linkage is malleable iron...

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

because your life depends on it have a professional weld the stuff...
    welding steel changes its molecular structure ... buddy has an old blacksmith weld his parts...
    think the old guys heat treats them to get the strength back...

6. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

When I needed a spindle arm for the drag link on my Henry J, I happened to be working at a shop that had a flame cutting table. I made it from common A-36 hot rolled plate and it seems plenty strong.

Gary

7. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Most steering components for automotive use are forged. Typical forging alloys are
    4140 Steel, 4130 Steel, 4340 Steel, 5120 Steel and 8620 Steel. There are certainly others. After forging the parts are usually normalized to reduce stresses prior to machining. They usually do not heat treat suspension components to harden them unless it is a very specialized part. I think any of the alloys listed in bar stock would do just fine. I would take care to avoid sharp corners during marching to avoid stress risers.

Texas Webb and rpm56 like this.
  8. thegearhead

thegearhead

Ok thanks that i was thinking was chromoly. I will not be welding it my neighbor will. He is a blacksmiths and also has a lathe. He also worked some on fuelie drag cars and has a lot of knowledge. Does anyone know where one could obtain chromoly other buying it new? Trying to keep things affordable. Was suggested that front struts from jeeps may be good metal to use? Thanks

9. McMaster Carr has a great selection of small pieces of lots of steel stock.

alanp561 likes this.
  10. Ratspit

Ratspit

I am in the process of fabricating steering arms for my truck and had the same question about what type of steel to work with. After a lengthy search online, I ended up calling Jerry at Pete & Jakes. He said that they use 1018 cold rolled steel. I chose to use 1" plate and cut the steering arms out of it. Then heat, bend, grind, shape, drill, tap, polish and finally chrome.