Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scammer?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by krylon32, Dec 2, 2020.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've just been made aware that because I ask for my Pay Pal payments to be made to Friends and Family many of you think I am a scammer. I've ran a legitimate hot rod business for over 40 years. I can stand scrutiny for anyone. You can check me out on the HAMB and Ford Barn and will find no one I have cheated or screwed. When I ask for payment to a friend it's because I can't afford to offer a discount on parts and also eat the Pay Pal fee. If that's the case I might as well quit trying to sell discounted parts. Gary at Cornhusker Rod And Custom

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Baumi, catdad49, 67L36Driver and 8 others like this.
  2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

clarify "Pay Pal payments to be made to a Friend"

if you mean the friends and family tab to avoid fees that is one thing, but sending the money to a different person other than yourself would be different, but with 6600 posts here you would probably be a safe bet.

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Using PayPal cost 3%, if you don’t use “ Friends and Family” .But if you use F and F, you have no protection. If you are confident in the transaction, you can save the 3% and the insurance! I think that ‘s what he is talking about!

Bones

4. safetythird

safetythird

You're avoiding paying paypal for the service they provide. If I avoided paying you your due for a service you provided, what would you call me?

seabeecmc, 5window, egads and 3 others like this.

5. Gary is as honest guy as you will find, he has helped me on several occasions, I will pay him any way he wants.

The problem comes in when people want to pay for everything with paypal, just send him a check or a credit card, I for one don't use paypal anymore. HRP

XXL__ and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've actually paid the fee to have the protection.

There's a HAMBer that requested it but I overpaid so that I covered the fee... I had just paid late at night so I sent him a message after paying, letting him know what I did. This pissed him off so bad that he sent me the $ back and and "reprimanded" me for not following his rules, haha. I bet it was a tax thing and not my rule-breaking.

I get why Ryan tells folks to avoid paying the F&F route as I'm sure he's seen more rip-off than we can imagine.

If I "know" the HAMBer, I have no problem paying F&F. Also, some folks have a good reputation in the community (like Gary). However, not everyone knows the reputations because they're new and such.

I take more issue with the name-calling because of this or that. That's just not necessary.

7. brady1929

brady1929

Gary,
    I don't think someone would question your integrity. Just ask 3% more for your items. Problem solved, I hope.

Thor1, 5window, 41rodderz and 7 others like this.
  8. Yeah I wouldn't have any problem paying you friends and family brother, and I do it all the time here. I just bought a car from the classifieds and paid the deposit, which wasn't a small amount, by friends and family. But the guy has been a member here for a long time. I'd guess that if somebody is afraid to pay you that way, they're probably new here? If they have a problem with paying it f&f, I'd add 10% and go with it.

reagen and catdad49 like this.
  9. BTW, look at Gary's profile, scammers haven't been members of the hamb for 14 years and have over 6,000 post. HRP

reagen, catdad49, ccain and 6 others like this.
  10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Absolutely right safetythird but your forgetting PP has the use of the balance I carry on my account without paying interest. I have offered chassis and parts for sale for over 40 years and it's been a simple business transaction. If PP doesn't want the use of my money they can ban me from their service.

11. pitman

pitman

Krylon32 has a long and fine history here, of helping folks.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Not sure what you mean by they "use your money." They are not a bank. Your "money" is sitting in cyberspace they are not using it to run their business or make investments. You are bypassing paying for a service period. You are free to take your money out anytime you want.

Thor1, seabeecmc, 5window and 3 others like this.
  13. Starlinerdude

Starlinerdude
    from Washington

I get that people will be leery dealing with unknowns and want to have some sort of protection,but it shouldn't have to be the seller that pays the fees for that.If I were unwilling to pay the PayPal fees as a seller I would communicate to the potential buyer that unwillingness by giving them the option to send it as F&F or increase the sale price to cover the fee.Selling something on Ebay the seller knows he will be charged fees and prices his items accordingly.Selling on here there are no expected fees and sellers are completely within their rights to expect the buyer to cover any fees incurred by requested online payment options just like the expectation to cover shipping.

alanp561 likes this.
  14. As a business you price your products/services to cover your expenses. Offering paypal is no different than a store that takes credit cards which all charge a fee. I have never had a separate charge on anything I have bought with a credit card to cover the fees. It is built into into price of the product or service.

Thor1, stillrunners, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  15. -Brent-

-Brent-

Really, never? It's not all that uncommon outside of brick and mortar businesses. Like, for example, a roofer or our tile guy or some other business like that... If you use a credit card, they'll definitely add 3%.

Deuces likes this.
  16. It not allowed for a business to do that in Canada. They can offer discounts for other forms of payment but they cannot add charges for taking credit cards.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

-Brent- likes this.
  17. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I'm retired, but ran a business since the 70s. The greatest thing I ever did was accept credit cards. I got a good rate, but it was 2.9% (+ 30c per transaction) so basically 3%.
    It all boils down to ccdb (cost of doing business) rate. I more than made up for the 3% by people buying more. To me it was negligible.
    Unless people pay cash there will always be fees involved, plus taxes, insurance, utilities, payroll...list goes on.
    I wouldn't worry about 3%. As mentioned you could figure all the ways people pay, adding just 2% across the board may even it out.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

JNKYARDDOG_1 and greener200 like this.
  18. I add the 3% to the transaction so I can get the protection. I wouldn't want any less from someone but they need to understand up front who is paying the 3%. Gary is a good man but that has little to do with this. The price is the price not minus fees. That has to be made clear. :)

alanp561 and swade41 like this.
  19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Do you seriously think PP is not making money on the billions of dollars they have just sitting in customer accounts? I quit taking credit cards several years ago when the fees for my small business just got out of hand. I guess the simplest way is to add 3% to the sale for using PP, problem solved. I'm really sorry I opened this can of worms. Probably should close this thread?

20. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Just looked this up.
    The practice of always charging customers a fee for credit card payments, no matter how the transaction takes place, is called a surcharge. These are currently prohibited in 10 states—Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma, and Texas.

clem, Boneyard51 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  21. I have a little hobby-business that gets me a couple of low, 3-figure purchases each month. I encourage my customers to use PayPal for a couple of reasons. First one, it's a well-known brand and perhaps the most common way to make a payment. And the second reason is, I can click a few tabs on my PayPal dashboard to buy postage at a nice discount, print the mailing label, and transfer most of my receipts to my bank. (I leave spare change and a couple of frogskins in my PP account but I never leave the bullfrogs there.)
    Sometimes my customers and I have exchanged multiple messages, so they feel like they know me well enough to choose for themselves to send their payments Friends-and-Family........ sometimes they don't. I want my customers to feel comfortable start to finish with their purchase experience, so that's my policy. Occasionally, a buyer doesn't have a PayPal account yet and I explain the easy process to sign up, including explaining the friends/family deal. If the subject comes up, I tell them to just pick the option that is comfortable for them. They're going to get the same great service and quality either way. It's just me, but I don't feel comfortable asking or having a policy of asking that payments be sent Friends/Family. But I can understand why others do ask in their circumstances. You do what you got'ta do.
    Now regarding Mr. Gary: Please don't be offended by comments on that other thread about actual scammers. Asking for money to be sent"Friends and Family" is a hallmark of scammers because there's no chance of the buyer getting anything back should it be a scam. But that's not point-blank saying if you do ask, you are a scammer. The only problem for you is that you choose to do one of the things that scammers do. That may scare off a few potential customers. That's all.

22. I just bought something out of the classifieds today, the seller wanted friends and family but I want the protection, so I told him I would add 3.5% to his total to cover the fees, he agreed and I sent the money.
    I've had to get my money back a few times for parts that didn't show up or showed up damaged, I'm thankful to have the protection especially when you're buying parts that cost a few grand.

abe lugo and alanp561 like this.
  23. As some of us know right now there is a shortage of ammo every where.. There was a deal on the net for some that I needed.. went to buy and the vendor was taking PAYPAL F/F ONLY !
    Sent a quick message and vendor stated that he not set up for C/Cards?
    I was like hmmm, Didn't place the order even though I could use the ammo..

3 days later the site was down and non existent.. Glad I didn't buy from that vendor I wouldn't have a leg to stand on when not receiving what I ordered.
    I agree with the others just add the 3% and have that protection.

Can you imagine how much that scum stole from people in just a week, When a lot of people are in a panic that they cant get ammo and jumped all over a deal.

dirty old man, egads and alanp561 like this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

For those that use PP, open a separate account, link PP to that account. If you send F&F then it's no charge.

You guys do know you can open up an account on line w/o even going into the bank, CU, etc..

But all caution rules apply, know who the heck you are sending $$ to.

alanp561 likes this.
  25. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Someone has to pay the friends and family fee.
    It's not up to the buyer to use friends and family and it's not good business to have the customer use friends and family.
    I will never again use friends and family.
    If a seller doesn't like it then the seller won't get my money.
    Sometimes my paypal is on but most pf the time it's off.
    I like USPS Money Orders when I sell something. To me, it's safer than paypal.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Make sure you know who you are dealing with. Both ends . I have always used postal money orders. If they will take my debit card fine. At least you know the money is in there with a debit card. I know there are postal money order frauds going on but not very often. And thats a federal offence on a money order. Gary I can damn sure see you feeling offended. Lippy

big duece likes this.
  27. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I guess maybe I should quit offering name brand parts at a discount? I never knew there was such a problem with using friends and family and there were so many sensitivities to it. The profit margins on most of the parts I sell are so slim another 3.5% cuts it so close there's no reason to do it. I guess the discount I'm currently offering on MT products will be my last and I'll have to take a hard look at my HAMB vendor discounts. Sure sorry I offended you guys.

pitman, reagen and lippy like this.
  28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Shame the crap going on causes an honest vendor to to be soured on his business practices when he's a man of good intentions. Shame this is where we are headed. Lippy

Truckdoctor Andy and pitman like this.
  29. walter

walter

You can trust Gary as a STAND UP GUY! I bought my first 4 link from him in the early eighties. Defiantly not a scammer!!! Always a fair price for top quality parts!

pitman and reagen like this.
  30. -Brent-

-Brent-

I don't think you're offending anyone. If they are (offended), they're not likely going to be your customer anyway.

I've learned to lean the other way and not be a discount seller. Instead, I give the best service possible and I don't worry about the lure of less expensive. I don't like some of the headaches it attracts. I go above and beyond because there is real value in doing the inefficient stuff, the reaching out, the taking an extra 5 to chat, handwriting a note, remembering details, etc. Plus, if your margins are that thin, you're wasting your time doing inefficiencies that don't benefit you or the other guy.

It's great this topic popped up.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.