Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical it doesn't have to be red to be hot...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Dec 1, 2020.

1. I get around. :p

2. kjmmm

kjmmm

After picking up and dropping a part too hot to handle and burning myself,my dad used to say " Does it hurt?' "Funny, I don't feel a thing!" At least the anger after that remark took my mind off of some of the pain!!

Deuces likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's not the whole song...just the blisters part...;)

There's a lot that tainted the music but I also sang Ringo's short blister ditty several times...:oops:

Deuces likes this.
  4. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've been welding for a living for nearly 30 years, and did a lot of welding before that. I've gotten many burns through the years, but I can honestly say, that is one area where I've never had a burn. I apologize for laughing!

Then the next thought was that last line had way too much information in it. LOL!

Down through the years I've had so many customers that wanted to pick up a piece that I just got done welding, that I grew the habit of telling people before I even took off my helmet "Don't touch that, I guarantee its hot." I've done it so much, sometimes I catch myself saying it when I'm the only one here. Guess my mind thinks I need to be reminded too. Gene

Deuces likes this.
  5. atch

atch

I'll never learn; I guess I'm just not that bright.

Two days ago I bought a new power washer with a gasoline engine. I burned my arm twice yesterday unhooking the water hose from it (after using it and getting it up to operating temperature). Once the left arm and once the right arm. The second time I actually remembered burning my arm the first time so I used the other hand and a different position. Didn't help.

6. 1pickup

1pickup

I used to work maintenance in a factory. I was training a new guy. I just had cut some steel with the torch & he "helped" me by picking up the piece I cut off. He screams "THAT"S HOT!" and tosses it to his other hand. He wasn't much help the rest of that day.

clem, VANDENPLAS, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

I always like it when it gets inside your boot. I have scars all around my ankles from that. Can't unlace it quick enough.

trollst, VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  8. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably spilled his drink and tripped on the ice. ;) HE's the one who said he was clumsy;)

Deuces likes this.
  9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only boots I've ever worn are Red Wing Pecos. Pull-on's go off just as fast as they go on. Pain in the ass to climb down 135 feet of steel ladder with one boot on to retrieve your other one. Still better than going to an ER to get a burn cleaned up;)

Deuces and Roothawg like this.
  10. v8flat44

v8flat44

Maybe this will cheer ya up ...

reagen, alanp561 and Deuces like this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First shop I ever worked in in Texas every time the owner used the cutting torch to cut something we waited for him to let out a yell as he invariably would pick up a hot piece of metal he would just cut.

This bottom third of a 55 gallon plastic barrel has been the outside pet water dish at my house for 25 years or more and used to sit outside of my shed that I used as my shop at the time. it put out the fire of a burning frayed pants cuff more than once when I was cutting something out in the driveway.
    [​IMG]

VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  12. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

13. I’ll throw in one.
    I was taking a blacksmith course years ago, and was forging a large punch.
    The work piece was black hot (just off red) and I had it on the anvil center punching some marks on it for the handle eye location.
    The piece spun on the anvil and the guy working with me from reflex says “I got it” and grabbed it fully with his bare hand. Third degree across his palm.
    He was glad we had a big aloe plant in the smithy. Instant anesthesia.

Deuces likes this.
  14. topher5150

topher5150

When I was working in chrome plating they had these copper plates running along the wall with welding cable running to the tanks. Every now and again you would have to take the clamps off the copper plates to clean underneath to get some more amps. I didn't want to turn the juice off to the other tanks so I got my allen wrench in there to loosen the cable spun it around and made contact with the other cable clamp, and within about a half-second it turned that little wrench bright red.

alanp561 and Deuces like this.
  15. rudestude

rudestude

I got a similar burn while doing some torch work on the bottom side of my dirt car.
    It was night before the race and I was going over everything getting the car ready, of course last minute and in a rush, then remembered something under the car I wanted to cut off....jack the car up...floor jack decided to not work , only went up a couple pumps and that was it ,so I slid my ass under as far as I could and with my arm fully extended and no glove on I proceeded to blow red hot globs of metal everywhere....and of course falling on my hand ,so I retract my arm...quickly...dropping the torch, it lands on its back side with the oxygen lever compressed....full burn mode.. .and my right hand is stuck palm down directly over the blue hot flame....son of a...not being able to retract my arm because its hung up on something...I manage to kick around with my legs and knock the torch hose away and stop the head from burning into my hand ....I got myself out from under the car fixed my hand after running g cold water on it .....no doctor , got a big race in just a few hours...I tell you that was the best race day the whole season , even with the burnt hand, I went out and won fast time...and while doing so the bandage that was on my hand fell apart and the huge blisters that had formed on my hand split open and blew puss and blood allover my windshield.
    So before the next race , while my crew was cleaning my windshield, I went to the first aid crew ....medics that worked with my fireman Dad....and they applied first aid and of course expressed there concerns about me being out there racing on a dirt track with that severe of a wound...so after each time I was out on the track when I pulled back into my pit space , they were there to treat and rewrap my wound.....what service.
    That day ,after winning fast time..I won a trophy dash , a heat race , and the main event ....I would like to thank my pit crew for keeping my windshield clean and the medic crew for keeping my wound clean...and the trophy girl for not having herpy lip.
    And after all that ...I get a phone call from my mother a couple days later and she tells me that she had seen my name in the local paper....headlined in the sports page...and also in the Police Blotter page.....speeding ticket....
    Can't win them all.

Sent from my SM-T307U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, alanp561, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  16. goldmountain

goldmountain

Last week, I was hooking up a back up camera on my truck and soldering the wire on. Even a drop of hot solder stings.

VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  17. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

When I worked at the Navajo Generating Station we had a safety meeting where the topic was welding burns. The one tip I always remember to do is to wear ear plugs while welding out of position and especially while using either a plasma cutter or the hot wrench because a red hot dingle ball will burn right thru an ear drum, and I really like Rock N Roll music!

Deuces, Stogy, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

Are you trying to give the impression you have put your hands in a place that would be illegal? Or just trying to impress the HAMB?

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. big john d

big john d
    from ma

when you are welding on your back and that little red piece of slag falls on your shirt then your chest then shirt then chest then rolls into your bellybutton did you know that iron becomes nonmagnetic if it reaches 1420 degrees ( curie temp) so it may not stick to that magnet

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. rtp

rtp

I have seen the "oh shit I am on Fire !"dance and have done it myself a few times. Worst one was wide open cutting torch to the index finger and thumb of my left hand.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  21. twenty8

twenty8

A million years ago when I was 17, I was an apprentice boilermaker/welder with the railways. One day while working in a freight carraige, a guy was kneeling and welding on the door assembly. I guess his frayed work boot with the exposed steel toe cap resting on the steel wagon floor was just too tempting, and another guy proceeded to weld said steel cap to said wagon floor. I have never before or since witnessed anyone leave their boots with such speed and vigour................:eek::eek::eek:. Most were rolling around laughing. One was storming around swearing.......:D:D:D

Budget36, VANDENPLAS and alanp561 like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@atch...careful you don't burn yourself blowin' out the candles on your Cake today...:D...Happy Birthday Hamber!!!

Budget36 and guthriesmith like this.
  23. atch

atch

That's why I always have my jeans leg outside/over my boots. Tennis shoes/sneakers, however, hardly slow down a hot dingleberry.

Thanx, Stogy. The party was epic. 50 years ago I doubted I'd ever make it to 70, now I'm looking forward to another 30 or so.

Budget36, Stogy and Sporty45 like this.
  24. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

How about red hot sparks going in the ear?!!! You can hear the little bastards coming before they hit the bottom!!... now , after I am uuhhh " hearing challenged " I put a couple of layers of duct tape over my ears when cutting or welding underneath anything....

Budget36 and Stogy like this.
  25. Sporty45

Sporty45

You guys are gonna scare me from working on my cars anymore, damn things are dangerous!!! :eek::p

Yeah, I've done a few of these things myself!

Stogy likes this.
  26. Using the charcoal grill this afternoon ,my parents came over and decided to grill some steaks n ribs.

had the lip propped open with the tongs and I opened the grill and said tongs fell to the ground.

no sweat!!! I can stop them from hitting the ground with my bare feet !!!

65FE7E24-E974-4CA3-90FC-A184EEE3C1F0.jpeg

Not anything horrible, but my dad did call me an idiot !!!

27. twenty8

twenty8

[​IMG]

:eek::rolleyes::D:D:D

Stogy likes this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may start a new fashion movement with that setup...:p

29. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm carrying a nice red burn on the side of my hand from yesterday, when I ̶a̶c̶c̶i̶d̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ stupidly reached down next to a hot exhaust manifold to tighten a brake line fitting.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  30. gene-koning

gene-koning

Years ago I was welding away on something and a hot dingleberry fell off whatever I was welding, rolled down my pant leg and on to my steel toe work boots. Suddenly, it got really hot on the top of my foot. Fortunately, there was a bucket of water sitting close by. I put my whole foot, boot and all, into the bucket of water. That solved the problem pretty quickly.
    The dingleberry had lodged itself between one of the the crosses of the boot laces and sat right there and burned right through the tong of the boot (and the boot lace)! That was when I discovered the tong of the steel toed work boots had a cloth tong instead of a leather tong. Ever since then, I have always made sure the tong on the new work boots I was about to buy was leather rather then cloth. You would probably really be surprised how many steel toed work boots have a cloth tong. Gene

Stogy and Budget36 like this.