Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do You Take On Outside Work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, Nov 26, 2020.

1. This thread reminds me why I almost never paint my stuff.
    I have done so much work on other peoples rides I guess I just want to get em close and drive.

Montana1 and Budget36 like this.
  2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I’m retired as most on here are . I don’t mind helping anyone with anything . What broke was when a “ Buddy “ shows up for me to help work on his heap . It ends up me doing the work while he sits on the cell phone talking shit . I damn near completely did this car . When it was near finished he sells it for big profit . Then he buys another one , shows up blowing the horn “ hey man I need help , my mechanic says I need carb rebuild ! “ I dare say lots of potty words went flying and he is Not welcome here to this day . Take the heap to your mechanic and pay him with the money you made from the first one .

Cosmo49, bchctybob, Montana1 and 2 others like this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's funny.

I'm about 50-years shy of retirement.

57 Fargo and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  4. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Me and about any 2 others can cover that 50 year gap

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  5. cooke

cooke

Absolutely take on outside work.
    I'm 51 now and have been doing it since I was in my late 20's.
    I've got a very loyal bunch of customers that I do my best to take care of. They know it's a side job to me and understand that I simply can't turn out jobs as fast as bigger shops.
    Over the years I've weeded out those guys who are trouble and keep my work directed at a select group of racers/hot rodders.
    IMO; it's the small, grass-roots shops that keep this hobby going.

JimMartley and pigIRON63 like this.
  6. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

I do side work. Not a lot of it, occasionally work for friends, mostly little off topic jobs for a used car lot. My wife's family are used car dealers. Bulb, brakes, door handles, a few small dent repair jobs. They give me short breaks from my projects.

7. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

I tried the barter stuff... car work for sex.
    I got screwed on the deal

trollst, X-cpe and bchctybob like this.
  8. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

You wouldn't want me to work on your car, but I do restore license plates for people.

bchctybob likes this.
  9. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

10. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

O.T. Anthony Myrick I liked your comment about being a dad , most important job we have .Outside work our choice . Being a dad mandatory , O.J.T. Do the best we can and giving them our time is the best gift we will ever give them . I certainly didn't always get it right ,but normally didn't make the same poor decision twice .

anthony myrick, Montana1 and X-cpe like this.
  11. X-cpe

X-cpe

Best ROI you can get. (With rare exceptions.)

12. Whoamel

Whoamel
    from So Cal

Not necessarily a side job, but my wife's friend has a 20 year old son and a buddy who were just dying to learn how to do body work. They come over on the weekends, and I'm showing them how pull dents, block stuff out, primer, etc, etc. The son has a Toyota truck that belonged to his Grandfather, and it's fun to see these kids develop and get into the hobby. I'm hoping they stick with it, and we get the truck painted, color sanded, and buffed.