Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 trans with 39 gears

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jdpaxton, Dec 1, 2020.

1. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

I wish to keep the original 1932 shifter hole but was told if I change the shifter top (39) it relocates to another location. The other choice would be 68 or 81A gears to get a synco (2nd-3rd) using one of those shifters. Does that leave the hole in the same place? I want to have the shift hole as original. Wot say you?

2. modelacrazy

modelacrazy

If you are just changing gears and shift towers the hole in the floor will still line up

51 mercules likes this.
  3. rusty valley

rusty valley

your 32 tranny already has a syncro 2-3

Adam F likes this.
  4. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

rustyvalley I don`t think 32`s have the brass rings to slow the spinning gears into mesh?

5. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Screenshot_20201202-074619_Messenger.jpg Screenshot_20201202-074619_Messenger.jpg Screenshot_20201202-074735_Messenger.jpg
    I am about to pull the trigger on this setup. Planning to run it in a Model A frame behind a banger.

Can anyone tell me what it all is, and whether or not it will work? Its supposed to be a 32-34 box with later internals.

Thanks

Attached Files:

6. I put a 32 trans in an A behind a Ford 4 cylinder. I put later Ford pickup gears in it. Worked like a dream. Not sure it was all right but it worked. Could wind second up and not be able to feel when I went to third.

7. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

stovebolt I think that is what I want to do. Notice syncro rings and 39 shift tower. That case throws me. Looks like a model a with the flat. Please list that part number found on back of case by ujoint.

8. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I believe that it is a 34 transmission or at least it came out of a 34 with a banger.

It is not in my possession .... yet, so cannot get the numbers you require

9. Mart

Mart

Here's what I know. You have to use the shift tower and forks that goes with the gearset.
    So if you want the original hole in the floor for a 32, you need the early slanted shift tower and a compatible gearset.
    All V8 boxes have synchro on 2nd and top. What ford did in 39 was introduce an improved synchromesh. Van Pelt's site has lots of info.

10. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

mart. Thats kinda what I was told also. That would mean no 1939 gearset can be used because the slanted 32 shift tower does not measure 3 inches but 2 7/8 I believe. So if you could get the slated tower to adapt to the 3 incher you would have it?

11. rusty valley

rusty valley

there are some folks who have made a 3"fork to use with the slanted 32-35 shift tower, but its never been made commercially that i am aware of

12. Mart

Mart

I was told by Bruce Lancaster (RIP, sorely missed) that the throws of the 32 shift tower are different to the later ones. It isn't just the fork width mismatch. The "39" double detent shift tower was intro'd earlier than 39 and is compatible with the pre improved synchro gearsets of that era. If you then switch to a 39 up improved gearset, you need the "39" double detent tower, but it also needs the 3" fork. You can't hog out a pre 39 fork, because the groove in the synchro sleeve is offset (you can see it in the pics above) and the positioning of the gears will be wrong.

My advice, if you want better shifting gears, would be to use a 39 up gearset with the improved synchros, a 39 type double detent tower and the 3" fork that goes with it. You would then, however, have to rework the hole in the floor.

My 33 has a 39 style gearbox, but it is the pre improved synchros. It shifts well, but not as good as either my roadster that has a 39 box with the improved synchros or my 41 pickup that has the improved synchros also.

I don't know where the 36 style straight up type shifter with the single detent fits into all this. Obviously it is compatible with the 36 style gears which are quieter than the previous type because they are helical cut.

Good info here:
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_transID_3speed-gears.htm

Atwater Mike likes this.
  13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

There is a HAMBer that has an ad on here for a 32 floor plate that's made for a 39 shifter

14. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

great info....thanks. The carpet is for a 32. Otherwise I am onboard with the 39.

Can the shift handle from the 32 be used in the 39 tower?

15. rusty valley

rusty valley

no, shift handles between the two different towers do not interchange

16. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Vanpelts book is a wealth of information, well worth the price. It's all you need to know about top loaders but were afraid to ask. If you want original type wood floors, I can tell you in my "32" roadster, with a "39" transmission. I cannot install the front floor toe board without cutting it in half. The "39"straight shift tower does not allow enough clearance. If it that's a concern.

17. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

Thanks solidaxle. I have everything for a 39 build including the tower....but no shift handle so thats why I asked.

18. I have shift handles if you need

19. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

Yes I do need. Send me a private message please

20. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Since you are going with a "39" like Krylon32 said there is a guy on here who sells the tin plate cover to fit a "32" with a "39" tranny. I assume you have juice brakes, if so the E-brake mount may need to be relocated to fit the opening in the tranny cover. I have purchased one of his plates and they are nice quality, but I had to relocate my E-brake mount. No big deal.

21. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

I was going to use the 32 case and just install the 16 tooth input/28 tooth cluster 1939 stuff. The gear set etc is in a 34 (48-7006) case right now. Yes solidaxle juice brakes in car. Damn its sure too bad the duece shifter tower won`t work as is. I feel like calling up Henry and having it out with him over the ebrake mount bosses not predrilled in the 39 tower! Thanks

22. Mart

Mart

Do you perceive an advantage of the 32 case over the 34? functionally they will be the same, or am I missing something? Or is it the 32 shift tover you want to use because of the emergency brake mount?

I remember thinking the same years ago (wanting to use the 32 shift tower) and that was when Bruce gave me the lowdown.

Mart,

23. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I am assuming you want the 32 topshift because of the carpet. As said the slanted top came on from 1932 to 1936. The 32 was unique as it was the only year to have the emergency lever. The top shift lever was the same from 1932 to 1934 slant and straight in 35 1936 as well having a shorter throw or arm on the bottom. So a early slanted top with your early gear set but the rear shift lever will tell you what size you have as the early gear sets fork is 1.687 wide at the fork slider. The later ones are 1.945 wide at the fork on your reverse slider. I have all the combinations in the shop:D and will check.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  24. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

A few pictures of the different towers right to left 1932 1935 36 and the 1939 81A and bottom shift lever bottom differences 4.300 early and 5 inch late 1939 and later trucks differences.
    As Mart had said the levers forks need to match the gear set and be aware many different gear sets or teeth. image.jpg image.jpg
    The 1939 is on the right and 1932 on the left. As you see there isn’t much difference till you put it together :D. The shift rails are the same locations and you can also see the double detent on the 39. Also the same is the size of the rail rods. So I believe the shift lever will have to be played with to mate a 1939 trans in a 32 case with a 1932 top.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Stovebolt and ClarkH like this.
  25. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

Well cont-john (and Mart) you are on top of ford tranny`s. Yes the carpet hole would be nice to leave alone. If you or someone could create/engineer the 32 tower by some slick bending and rewelding the 39 shifter to proper length, the world would be greatful. It looks posssible and would solve a bunch of problems for the 32 fello`s wanting to upgrade a stock 32. Reminds me of the Tardel roadster and shortening a V8 drive shaft in order to retain the Ujoint ball.

continentaljohn likes this.
  26. I read somewhere ( probablyVanPelt ) that the early gearbox was just a little shallow at the front for the later gears.
    Anyway, now i,m subscribed and can look this up later :confused: without searching all over the place :rolleyes:.

27. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

I believe the 28 t cluster can be installed but the 29 T needs some grinding at the front bottom of case.

28. Mart

Mart

For a lightweight car the 28T cluster is preferred. 29T are for heavy cars or medium weight cars with tall gears.

29. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

The early cases are ground down a bit in the front to help in assembly of the gearset. Otherwise it’s a supetight fit and everything has to be perfect to pop in place . You don’t have to grind but if you choose to it’s just a bit in the front for the large cluster gear.
    @jdpaxton I have both early and late transmissions in my 32s and don’t notice the difference that much. The difference is when your Hotrodding it around but a double clutch on the early trans works great to slow the gears down a bit. Also where the trans go through the floor your carpet should be ok as the boot location may change.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  30. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Vendor just posted his ad for the 32 trans cover for the 39 shifter over in the swap meet section on Ford Barn

dlw1932 likes this.