Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Henry Ford hot rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Feb 2, 2020.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

Battery made and installed. starter relay, 55mm2 cable from trunk to relay.... Tomorrow need to continue engine wirings. Same time I connect starter button, ign.switch, generator and generator relay too. Today I ordered 10pc small globe double contact bulbs (21w/5w). taillights are so small that not possible to use normal size bulb. Need to change taillight bottoms too from one wire type to two wire type.

Afternoon I picked up hi pressure steamer and washed those just arrived Flathead engine projects.
    Sunday Oskar help me to remove 1937 flathead. Tomorrow somebody is come to buy it. nice basic 221cid which is converted to 12V. Im gonna use 296cid flathead this project.
    Aulis
    jukka-619.jpg jukka-620.jpg jukka-621.jpg jukka-623.jpg jukka-626.jpg jukka-627.jpg jukka-628.jpg

2. AULIZ

AULIZ

Last Friday they inspected my GS Buick. Monday historical vehicle inspectors made their inspection. Now car is ready to drive winter storage. They say in GS club USA that this Buick is maybe fastest nailhead engined stock car. Heads, intake and carb has made Gessler. Car runs 12.7 sec 1/4mile.

Saturday and today worked with Jukka´s coupster. generator, voltage regulator, ign.switch and starter button are wired and work fine. Engine runs great. Not so good sound because he want that original 255cid merc cam is used..... Not "hot rod" sound, but I have done my best. I have not tune up engine. Just installed distributor and carbs when bolted on and used own basic settings. Later need to do better tune up.

1.44sec video. 2nd start Jukka´s 255cid

Aulis

Nb. I need 1939 style tranny or two. Please, offer : [email protected]

jukka-629.jpg gs-88.jpg gs-90.jpg gs-97.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    CrazyDaddy, Jrs50, Stogy and 14 others like this.
  3. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

4. AULIZ

AULIZ

Finally rear hub bearings arrived. I put together hubs, bearings, snapring and seal.
    Earlier this week I finished brakes. Today just adjust rear shoes after installed hubs and drums.
    Brakes are ready. Today installed overflow tank. and made gaugepanel for two gauge needed.

Middle of gaugepanel can be straip Ford V8 logo if car owner wants
    Aulis

jukka-631.jpg jukka-632.jpg jukka-633.jpg jukka-634.jpg jukka-635.jpg jukka-636.jpg jukka-637.jpg jukka-638.jpg jukka-639.jpg jukka-640.jpg jukka-641.jpg jukka-642.jpg jukka-643.jpg

The 39 guy, Stogy, charleyw and 12 others like this.
  5. AULIZ

AULIZ

6. AULIZ

AULIZ

Monday: floor, gas pedal, clucth arm, hand brake, water temp gauge, oil press gauge installation.
    Aulis

jukka-651.jpg jukka-654.jpg jukka-656.jpg jukka-658.jpg jukka-659.jpg

7. You do some really nice work. That gauge pod could have been left very simple/plain but you did a great job dressing it up and making it a really nice piece!

Stogy, Brian Lundgren and KiWinUS like this.
  8. Mart

Mart

Nice work, Auliz.

Do you think it would be an idea to start a separate thread for the new 32? Keep it separate from the existing coupster??

Mart.

9. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Mart
    Good point!
    Maybe I need to open new thread.

Aulis

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  10. AULIZ

AULIZ

Saturday. Gas pedal is bolted on and cable finally installed. Floor panels installed, also drivers seat is bolted on.
    Also installed fuel tank and rear "push" tube. Started to make alum. floor panel. Tomorrow need to finnish it and make another panel where pedals are come thru floor.

Aulis

jukka-660.jpg jukka-662.jpg jukka-664.jpg jukka-665.jpg jukka-666.jpg jukka-667.jpg jukka-668.jpg jukka-669.jpg

11. AULIZ

AULIZ

floor alum.panels ready.
    aulis

jukka-670.jpg jukka-671.jpg jukka-672.jpg jukka-673.jpg jukka-674.jpg jukka-675.jpg

12. Beautiful work around the pedals AULIZ!

Stogy likes this.
  13. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks

I was two days business trip. Today I continued this project. I try to make all interior (alum. aircraft style) in week. 3pieces. Sides LH+RH and one piece rear. Maybe not possible....then need to make total 4pc.
    RH front part is tomorrow ready.

Today drive first time time outside and return back in to garage.
    Aulis

jukka-676.jpg jukka-677.jpg jukka-678.jpg jukka-679.jpg jukka-680.jpg jukka-681.jpg jukka-682.jpg

14. AULIZ

AULIZ

Front panels ready. Still need to sand those, but first I make all ready.
    Tomorrow need to cut rear parts and start to shape those (english wheel).
    Aulis

jukka-683.jpg jukka-684.jpg jukka-685.jpg jukka-686.jpg jukka-687.jpg jukka-688.jpg

15. AULIZ

AULIZ

Saturday worked 6-7hours with this project. After rest little time, I go work with my own roadster.
    Aulis

jukka-690.jpg jukka-691.jpg jukka-692.jpg jukka-693.jpg jukka-694.jpg jukka-695.jpg
    jukka-696.jpg

16. AULIZ

AULIZ

Sunday we just take easy.
    Today, Monday, I made drv side rear corner and center piece.

Still need to work 1-2days with interior.

Aulis

stoker-105.jpg stoker-106.jpg stoker-107.jpg stoker-108.jpg stoker-109.jpg

The 39 guy, brEad, 35cab and 10 others like this.
  17. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

It would be cool to put an 8 in the panel with the V.

Jeff34 likes this.
  18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Nope, just two big dimpled holes stacked close with the lower one larger than the top. Those in the know will get it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brEad, Stogy and rpm56 like this.
  19. AULIZ

AULIZ

Something like that. I do not want to work too much with this car, because I want it out from my garage before Christmas. Maybe simple dimpled holes.... Yesterday bought from UK dies for that (7 dies pair set).

I remove interior and finish those (grind corners, sand over....). More nice outlook screws when reinstall later.
    I leave car for painting. Paint will be same style than grillshell. When its painted and return to my garage (3/2021....?)
    I made rest of wirings (headlights, turn signal,....). No extra gauges, just those two. Oilpress and watertemp are mechanical (no wiring)

I do not like sound of that engine. Too smooth. No rock n roll..... sounds like old 40´s - 50´s vacuum milking machine (jug model).... hahaaa! Maybe after next summer I install potvin, isky,.... cam. This time I do not have time to open engine and I do not want to spend evenings in my garage... Try to keep dayrythm --> no stress --> interest to built.

and of course keep all simple, then You can handle all what You have and not stress. (simple garage, not too much stuff there and outside, simple tools, simple hot rods, simple mind,...).

Aulis

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    The 39 guy, brEad and Stogy like this.
  20. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Hi Aulis,
    Cool project.
    Do you have a link for the uk dimple set?
    Regards
    Micky

21. AULIZ

AULIZ

Stogy, The 39 guy, brEad and 5 others like this.
  22. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

Stogy likes this.
  23. AULIZ

AULIZ

Interior ready. Removed, fixed and sanded.
    Aulis

jukka-708.jpg

Stogy, The 39 guy, alfin32 and 3 others like this.
  24. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Looking good!

Stogy likes this.
  25. Fogger

Fogger

Great fabrication skills on the coupster. I doubt that I'm the only one wondering how long your customer will drive it before he or she wants an entry door. They may become tired of climbing over the body. Great use of all the old parts and your panel fitting skills are very well done.

Stogy likes this.
  26. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Sirs. Nothing special, just work 5-6hours days and try to get this car on the road. I told owner that this 32 was not good investment. His 1st hot rod and value of that project was only value of rust steel. I think, he was paid few thousand dollars + freight to Houston TX + freight from Houston to Finland.... Body was so bad, that no any sense to built it 100% up. Easier buy Brookville or original Henry body.... I have try to do all as low price as possible and keep it like real old style "homemade" hot rod. Next I drive it on my trailer and leave car to my friends place. Hank Jacob is made old style paitjob. After that I make new wirings, install interior, pass seat and other small stuff.

I like that outlook and style. Next winter I change cam to SU-1 or other "rock´n´n roll" cam. Then engine sound is same level with rest of car.

This weekend I will install those old Cris Craft step plates. Easier to jump in.
    I told to Jukka that: Someday, if You or Your wife can´t jump in, You do not need hot rod.
    He owns many old HD (knuckles), A-pick up hot rod and he is good shape (58y) so I think he still can go over 1meter hot rod sidepanel.

Aulis

nunattax, Stogy, The 39 guy and 4 others like this.
  27. AULIZ

AULIZ

Few days more and Jukka´s 32 is ready. Today get ready wirings. Taillights (park, brake, turn) works fine.
    Front I want to use those original reflectors. Just try to polish those, drilled turnsignal socket holes and istalled all new sockets for headlights and turnsignals. Headlight bulbs are 35W/30W. I do not like those "too bright" halogen etc (H7, H4...)

All wirings are covered now using black cloth tape. UP turnsignal switch I painted black.
    Tomorrow install alum.interiors, windshield. Monday-Tuesday fix some small things, change oil and car is ready for paintjob. I leave car to my friend´s garage. Hank-Jacob is made "rust" style paintjob before we leave car to its owner. I can start my roadster project. Roadster has own topic where I increase pics.

Aulis

jukka-709.jpg jukka-710.jpg jukka-711.jpg jukka-712.jpg jukka-713.jpg jukka-714.jpg jukka-715.jpg jukka-716.jpg jukka-717.jpg jukka-718.jpg jukka-719.jpg

Stogy, The 39 guy, brEad and 2 others like this.
  28. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Nice to see the hockey tape come into play! How very northern.

Looking good!

Stogy likes this.
  29. Mart

Mart

Nice work Auliz. it takes a bit of wiring to make the car "come alive".
    If you can put a link to the new thread in this thread it will make it easier to find.

Thanks very much.

Mart.

Stogy, brEad and Runnin shine like this.
  30. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Stogy likes this.