Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gasoline in 2018.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by S.F., Jul 2, 2018.

1. dwollam

dwollam

E10 here in town at "Towne Pump" is $2.94.9 right now and their Premium non ethanol is a whopping $4.29.9!
    You guys complaining about 60 cents a gallon difference have got it made. ( Not counting those north of the border with litres)
    I run the cheap stuff in all my antique cars and my Honda generator (14 years on the Honda) with no problems. My 340 Mopars has to have premium at 10.5 compression. My riding mower is a different deal. If it sits with E10 in it for extended periods of time the gas in the carb turns to gel.

Dave

2. bedwards

bedwards

While this is not automotive, but its relevant. My experience. 2007 4 stroke boat motor built to run on ethanol has had three failures due to the ethanol. 2013 twin engine lawn tractor carb o-rings failed yearly. Also, any gas tank that will sit unused for extended periods like boat motors, lawn equipment and old cars will collect water in the tank from using ethanol. I've lived it. From now on, non ethanol in my stuff that doesn't get used weekly. Since I made the change, the failures have stopped and so has the water in the fuel filters. I have always used Stabil. Now I live in the deep south with high humidity.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  3. john W.

john W.

From testing gas in stations with a test tube and water shake:

• Liberty Gas has ethanol in its non-ethanol. A scam. I tested 3 stations here in VA.

• PURE Gas stations are real-deal 87 oct non-ethanol. No trace of it.

I also recommend buying some 110 race gas and putting in a gallon. The T-lead will help preserve ethanol gas. Use some Marvels too. In the old days gas had more oil in it like diesel.
    In WW2, the US Army air corps had 55 gallon drums of super leaded AVGAS everywhere from Alaska to the South Seas. The lead preserved it so well that the gas was still good 10-15 years later! A vet told me that.

Additives?
    Ive tested VP Race Fuel's "Octanium," it has real T-lead in it. Its not snake oil.

4. cfmvw

cfmvw

I heard there's a place in Springvale Maine that sells straight gas; haven't checked it out for myself yet, but it would be nice to get some for my generator and VW during the winter months.

5. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Gasoline can have other additives in it that will separate out with water, so it may well be "ethanol free". However these other additives are probably equally (or more so) bad as ethanol for causing gasoline to go rancid.
    By the way, that's a great idea to actually test a sample of the gas.

I agree that Avgas is much more stable than regular gas. I got a few gallons as waste fuel some years ago, and forgot about it for several more years. On examining it, it was still clear blue with that wonderful fresh aviation gas smell (kind of like toluene).

I think the FAA is more interested in having gasoline not go bad and gum up fuel systems, than the EPA is.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drive it.

If you cannot drive it, drain it.

The EPA has little concern over all of this, and neither does the petrofuels industry. The average vehicle on US roads is 12-ish years old. That means EFI, and closed fuel systems.

Carbureted vehicles in general are increasingly rare. OUR carbureted vehicles are an anachronistic nuisance.

The last carbureted car was sold to the public in the US in 1990. One year later in police and fleet. That was 30-years-ago!

It is hard to build multi-billion-dollar corporate empires around markets the size of rounding errors.

dirty old man and R A Wrench like this.