Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is a nice paint job really that important?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 30, 2020.

1. I know, coming from a guy with a handle like HOTRODPRIMER you would think I don't care and to a certain extent you would be right.

I am totally happy with my old beater which from what I was told when I purchased it more that 30 years ago it was repainted in the early 1960's.

When I built the Ranch Wagon for my wife it was the first time I knew this car would be painted and upholstered before it was ever driven down the road, because me being who I am it would have never seen paint if I started driving it, only a primer job.

Having a nice paint job cost a lot more money than a quick primer coat and since I have discovered Kirker semi-gloss black that I used on my Deuce pickup I can be content with that on any future builds. HRP

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Yes. You'll have plenty of time to admire its unmaintained look later, depending on how lazy you are! Remember, paint is primarily a preservative that happens to look great when freshly applied. Anything dull or primer-ish will absorb water and just cause more work for you later.

3. BJR

BJR

My goal is always to paint the car with shiny paint. But..... sometimes it takes more than a few years to get there.

4. Damnit Danny!! You trying to start a fight? :confused: I'm a firm believer in windshields, put one in and let's hit the road! Paint is optional :D

Blues4U, nochop, slim38 and 4 others like this.
  5. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I would say a new paint job should go along with the intended use of your car as well as style. I'm not as interested in rat rods as some so a nice new paint job is a must for me.
    I will say that it takes alot of time to do a total respray. I would say close to half the hours on my build where spent on paint and body work. You can't rush the process. The end result is well worth the effort. I love looking at my ride.

6. My old sedan doesn't have primer on it, it's old black and at one time shiny on the body, the fenders have flat black paint and the hood has Kirker S.G. black. HRP

Montana1, 3W JOHN and Flat Six Fix like this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

no matter what the shop say's. That alone, no it's not important!

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. When I started building hot rods back in the 60's I didn't have the money or talent to throw down a nice paint job and primer was affordable, that's how I got my username because red/gray primer was my only choice.

When I was younger performance trumped looks and so it was.

Nice paint jobs are expensive, paint is expensive and as hard as I try I have never mastered the spray gun, it takes talent and my hat is off to you guys that have the gift.

If I could reproduce my old Model A pickup I would still shoot it in red primer. HRP

[​IMG]

9. Budget36

Budget36

I think it depends on budget. Only been two old vehicles I could ever afford to have a nice paint job on. Still have one of them. What I don’t like is the “leave it in rust” mentality. Some call it “patina”. I call it rust. I only mention that because so may take this game all apart, at least take the time to steam it up, rattle can it or brush some protection on it. Why let it deteriorate further?

Totally different for those who pull something out of a hole, get it running , ect and drive as-is. That’s different

10. In thinking about my old model A, at somethime before I bought the project the cab was painted blue, the bed was black and I believe the paint was original as were the rear fenders, the front fenders were green as was the front apron, the splash aprons were also green but they were almost electric green, the hood was pieced together with the top being red, the drivers side was black and the passenger side was yellow,.

I scuffed it up and shot it with red primer and it stayed that way until I blew it apart several years later and painted it red!-- I absolutely HATED the truck red, I sold it a few months after I painted it. HRP

Elcohaulic and 3W JOHN like this.
  11. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

This is a simple thought process for me.

It depends on budget and ability. I love seeing any old car kept alive and if the person building it cant afford to paint it or the ability to do it I'm fine with that as long as they are doing their best to keep that car alive.

Second I've seen some high dollar paint jobs that are works of art but honestly they aren't for me, if its that nice then it usually means no rock chips, so no rock chips means its not being driven. So if it aint got rock chips it aint worth owning.

I build to drive and I am a little hard on my stuff, rock chips and all.

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While I like 'em all the same color and shiny, I'll never spend a lot of money on a top shelf paint job ever again. I did it with a Corvette once, and the first scratch was a disaster. After I found out what the pro painters wanted to fix it, I spotted it in myself. It's still all the same color and shiny and I like it, but it ain't a "top shelf" paint job any more.

You folks that don't drive your cars on a regular basis can ignore this.

13. Straight & paint. Nice paint on a good body does it for me. Not a fan of dull paint jobs. It does not have to be perfect but should be respectable.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

14. I've gotta ask because I've heard many times on the hamb about the high price of paint work, what's an average price to get a car painted in your neck of the woods? I can tell you that my minimum price on paint is $3000. The majority of the jobs through my shop run $5000. Is that considered expensive?

Blues4U, slim38, wicarnut and 2 others like this.
  15. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I really LIKE my cars. I want them to look their best! So, YES, shiny paint is important.

16. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I only have one goal, to make it better then when I found it, pass it along to the next owner when I am dead.

With this goal in mind, I could not live with what some call patina on my avatar.
    I felt was neglecting my duties to allow it to continue to decay. With much effort as a first car project, I have surface rust under control and in red oxide primer. Was a whole lot of work for me.
    Now that the metal is preserved to a point, put some tractor paint from rustoleum on it and call it a day.
    I am debating how particular I will be on bodywork. some dings and dents going to leave for character.
    I plan to use it as a daily driver.

Paint is a must ... nice paint, not so much.

17. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

What about red or rust primer with a clear coat on top of the primer? Askin cause I don't know.......

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Does Dolly Parton sleep on her back?

NashRodMan, 6sally6, The37Kid and 5 others like this.
  19. I think there has been way too much focus put on body on paint over the last 25 or so years and not enough put on the mechanicals.

I'll give three good example of this I personally know of.

The first a local man had a 57 T-brid restored. The car had bright overly shiny paint and interior, however if you looked under the car the brake lines were Tie-Wraped (Zip-Tied) to the frame, it had worn out shocks with used nuts and bolts in the chassis as well.

In the next an acquaintance of my families had a 56 Ford built as a NASCAR Grand National car. Same thing the car had mile deep gloss paint on the body and frame he took delivery at The Charlotte Motor Speedway. When he started the engine it smoked (blue), making just a few parade laps the brake and fuel lines fell off, as well the rear shocks.

Last week I stopped at my machine to see what project he had going on. He had a small block Chevy on a stand with a massive ring ridge.
    I asked "How much is it going to take to clean that up?"
    He told me the guy asked for a quote to do a full rebuild turned crank, bore new pistons, etc...
    After giving the man the price, the man said "I spent all my money on body and paint, how much just to hone it and put new rings and bearings in it?"

Wouldn't it make more sense in all three cases to put the money in the mechanicals with O.K. paint have a car you could drive instead of a car with super shiny paint with a bunch of worn out junk mechanically that can't be driven?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    ffr1222k, john W., b-body-bob and 5 others like this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To Me yes, That purple primer on my avator shot was done in 1998 just before the local Vintiques run here and still looked good when I went to Bonneville and Pleasanton. In all the years I drove the truck I drove it less than four years with real paint on it. When I was still in Texas I showed up with a fresh coat of primer just about every weekend in the mid 70's. After I put it back together in 1989 it got a fresh coat of primer just before the Vintiques NW Nats every year, quite often in my buddy's driveway. The guys at the Napa store in Sunnyside Wa got good at mixing tinted primer learning on that one.

Thing is I am just flat tired of primer and flat tired of tired or dead looking paint. I want shiny and nice.

21. 2935ford

2935ford

Part of any purchase of Hot Rods or Antiques for me is that the vehicle has paint on it. Doesn't have to be anywhere near perfect and not hiding a pile of bondo or rust. I drive my cars and park them where ever without the worry of dents and scratches.
    I appreciate those mirror finish paint jobs but sorry, just not for me.
    That's the way I roll! :)

22. Shiney paint is not real high on my list, never has been. First and foremost it's mechanical... brakes that will stop it and electrics that will start it and not burn it down. It has to run good and be dependable, able to go when and where I'm wanting to go.
    Second is the suspension, it needs to sit right and have a decent ride.
    Next would be the interior and the creature comforts.
    Shiney new paint? Not that importent!
    When I have a car with shiney paint, new or otherwise, it's because it was shiney when I bought it.
    Late sixties... 7th car - 1955 Buick Special.jpg
    And no that's not me pictured, it's one of my nephews.
    Today...
    7c.jpg
    I'm too old to change my ways now!

OzMerc39, Elcohaulic, Gotgas and 2 others like this.
  23. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I like all styles from new shiny to mother nature patina to worn/ faded or even primered (not a fan of fully done fake patina as 99% look bad) but I think the world needs all of it. I would prefer to have a shiny wagon but I cant afford the money it takes to have a nice paint job ($20k plus) and do not have the time nor talent to do it myself so I live with my natural state I enjoy looking at a over the top detailed car as I can admire the time.. I love the look of natural patina as it is only that way once. I see way to many cars with nice paint sitting on trailers vs being driven when I prefer to drive them and no worry. My 68 impala droptop has nice paint, not show quality but OEM quality and its fine for me and the wife loves having a painted car (one reason we bought it)

john W., 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. For me it is very important, I don't even like a winter beater that looks crappy. Since I do restorations & custom paint I realize it is much easier for me than some others. I strip them to bare metal so there are no issues & do them right. I don't care for patina & even though my 56 Pontiac (avatar picture) is painted matt black, I prefer them very shiny.

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

loudbang, wicarnut, rockable and 2 others like this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

The longer I play with old cars, the more I get back to how it was when I was young...no, a nice paint job just isn't that important to me. Although the cars that I keep seem to all have decent, but not nearly show quality paint on them.

depends on the quality....but I do know it's not easy to find someone who'll do a decent paint job on an old car for that little, around here.

26. No.not for my rides.
    Fun factor is the most important

I’m glad people like quality paint and body work. That’s what pays the bills.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  27. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I can see your point, but not everybody with correctly done paint and body work skimped on all other aspects of there build. Now that my project is complete I do worry about paint chips but I still drive my car.
    Every aspect of my build I took the same amount of pride,time and money to complete. Why build anything if your not willing to take the time,effort and spend the money neccessary to create something special
    Paint and body just takes alot of time for one guy or gal to complete.

loudbang, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yes. Anything less, to me, says you didn't try hard enough.

29. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I've had a few cars that I painted long ago in primer with a brush, red oxide and grey. I eventually stripped the red oxide one back and eventually painted it in colour; every car since then has been painted to match the rest of the build. Stone chips proved that they were driven.
    My latest, 46 Olds, will be in original colour and trim down to the steel wheels. For all intents and purposes it will appear original and stock however it won't be any slouch when completed :rolleyes:;)

Lil32, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.