Register now to get rid of these ads!

VINTAGE SHOTS FROM DAYS GONE BY! (Part 2)

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ryan, Jun 17, 2019.

1. While it's true that accidents are more survivable now, I don't think the amount of accidents have come down. People had better driving skills back then. They spent more time paying attention to driving. These days you have all the built in gadgets and creature comforts to distract you, not to mention portable electronic devices to further distract you. People often rely on all the so called safety innovations that they think they are invincible and forget what driving a car really is all about. I bet some people really think their cars drive themselves. Some practically do. There is a video of a guy driving a Tesla in the fast lane, while asleep!
    I think there was a saying you haven't leaned how to drive unless you have had a wreck.

HEMIDAV, Sky Six, fbi9c1 and 4 others like this.
  2. trollst

trollst

I also think too that cars play a role in how bad drivers are now, parking....my drivers test was like this....pull alongside another car, manual steering, push in the clutch, change gears, turn my body to see, feather the clutch, steer the car backward, clutching all the while, get her straight, clutch, shift into low, inch ahead and wonder if you did good. That was just to park, remember when you got a car that would do the ton? (100mph), but were too scared to actually go that fast? Tires that let you know you were pushing your luck, cars that leaned going round corners, points that needed changing, plugs that went bad, huge cars, teaching your sister how to use a clutch? Now.....not so much, the car parks itself, tires hang on till its absolutely too late, 100 mph is common, pickups that will back up travel trailers by themselves, lane change warnings, driverless cars, you can be a complete imbecile and still drive nowadays. Use to be you had to know stuff just to drive a car, hell, I get to drive a 625 horse dump truck that will go as fast as you want, literally, and NEVER runs out of power, loaded or not. My first truck had a leading class 250 cummins in it that I coaxed along, shifting a 4 and 4 straight cut main box, you had to know what you were doing. Not now......

loudbang, EMD567, HEMIDAV and 4 others like this.
  3. loudbang, HEMIDAV, Petriu8 and 4 others like this.
  4. perk03

perk03
    from VA

loudbang, HEMIDAV, fbi9c1 and 2 others like this.
  5. what a cool story, thanks, Mart!

Mart, fbi9c1, Bleach and 1 other person like this.
  6. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

51 mercules, benke, RMR&C and 7 others like this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

63fdsnr, benke, jakespeed63 and 2 others like this.
  8. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

When the '58-'60's have the reverse slanted actuated rear windows, they are Continentals. Lincolns of those vintage have standard looking rear rear windows, different front and rear grille designs, and do not have the 6 taillights. Also, the multi-carb 430 was only an option on the Continentals.

9. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

10. The quality of the photos is still amazingly good despite sitting undeveloped for 70 years. I found a roll of film once that I had forgotten to develop for about 10 years or so and they didn't look all that great. It was color so that may have played a part in it.

Mart and loudbang like this.
  11. I'll definitely keep an eye out for more.

12. 1935 Auburn 851 Custom Phaeton - Germany
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

63fdsnr, 40two, rusty valley and 6 others like this.
  13. 1936 Chevrolet Master DeLuxe Coupe
    [​IMG]

14. 1937 Chevrolet Master Sedan
    [​IMG]

15. 1935 Plymouth Deluxe Rumble Seat Coupe
    [​IMG]

40two, j hansen, fbi9c1 and 4 others like this.
  16. Argentine built Willys pick-up called a Baqueano
    [​IMG]

17. 1914 Willys Overland, Indiana
    [​IMG]

63fdsnr, 40two, NHRANUT and 3 others like this.
  18. Charles Metzger's Garage, Wapakoneta, Ohio April 27, 1927
    [​IMG]

hotrodmano, J_J_, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  19. 1909 Cadillac Model 30
    [​IMG]

NHRANUT and HEMIDAV like this.
  20. 1918 Willys Knight Overland Model 90
    [​IMG]

63fdsnr, fbi9c1, NHRANUT and 2 others like this.
  21. 1923 Gardner Radio Special, Oregon 1925
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. 1913 Willys Knight Model 69 in Golden City, Missouri
    [​IMG]

1morecarIpromise! and HEMIDAV like this.
  23. 1915 Cadillac V-8 Type 51 at the Three Graces, Colorado Springs
    [​IMG]

even earlier
    [​IMG]

More recently
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  24. 1912 Cadillac Model 30 Touring car
    Hazel and Max and chorus in show at Pasadena.
    [​IMG]