Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Those with stalled projects, do you really want to finish them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BamaMav, Nov 25, 2020.

?
  1. YES!

82 vote(s)
    85.4%
  2. Maybe?

8 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. No, I just want to talk about what I have.

6 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. I've been working on my '29 AA since July 1974. I retired nearly 6 years ago and making incremental progress, but cancer interrupted everything last spring. I'm free of that now, but have other health issues that keep me out of the garage. I'm hoping this spring I can get back out in the garage and resume working on it. At nearly 72, I may never get it running, but I won't give up.

61Cruiser, HJmaniac and X-cpe like this.
  2. Boatmark

Boatmark

A recent job change / move has stalled my OT Corvette project, but truth told it was essentially stalled already. Guess I lost interest. But when I get back to it I need to push on to the finish. Reality is the 56’ sedan project I’ve built in my mind for decades, and am finally going to do, can’t happen without the money from the current project.

osage orange likes this.
  3. i like cars & stuff

i like cars & stuff
    from Aotearoa

Yes. The last thing I want to become is like some one I met who has turned over 200 cars into scrap and never built something that vaguely functions. People like that are my antithesis.
    I was taught that if you don't produce more than you consume, your a oxygen theif. So I'll keep working on all my far-to-many projects until they're better than I started.

Who cares if I take ages to find the right materials to make it happen, I can research methods and technology while I wait.

Remember, you'll be making progress how ever slowly as long as you do not stop.

Sent from my potato using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

osage orange, HJmaniac and stanlow69 like this.
  4. I've got one almost finished and one in for paint and repower.( The two in my avatar<<). I also have one in the barn that's had a lot done to it and spent on it. The frame/suspension are done, HEMI is rebuilt, almost all body modifications and repair are complete. But I am stalling out! A motivated person could have it on the road fairly quick but it needs paint, interior and chrome$$$$.
    EB129F55-CE9D-4F7B-9037-25EAFCFEAB07.jpeg 382FE6F9-AED0-4EA5-9148-CF5A45EC3933.jpeg

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Frame is done along with a new engine, transmission and all mechanicals; steering, brakes, suspension. All new chrome and polishing, NOS emblems etc. Interior trim is being done and since I now have the 2-tone formulas I can have the OEM paints matched. I've invested too much time and money to pull the plug now. Just the body work now and then I can reassemble the jigsaw puzzle.o_O:confused:

wicarnut likes this.
  6. I wouldn't say stalled on mine.....I just haven't gotten back to it yet. I guess the '28 would be the longest waiter, but I'm still working on other vehicles. The '41 trans/motor re fresh, then today is the Lark water pump and block flush and hopefully next week will be the panel water pump and radiator. Look at the time line on my builds/repairs.....it just keeps going :).

61Cruiser likes this.
  7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Looks like most of want to finish, but things get in the way....

The37Kid likes this.
  8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Yes,but maybe moves to not likely.
    Have time/but need will,an no $ is almost a good cop out.
    Stalled about 15 years. Maybe time to just sell.
    Huba Huba Hup draw10016.jpg 009 (2).JPG 005 (3).JPG

osage orange and wicarnut like this.
  9. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Totally want to!!! Just not as much as paying the mortgage and kids tuition. That's not all about the $ either it's about time, been working 60 hours a week since my mid 20's.

10. trollst

trollst

My version of stalled, my 36, put it together 20 years ago, been driving it steady since, building other stuff pretty steadily, ignoring old mary. Watching her age, calling it patina, but really, its neglect. So, stopped the other shit, sold some, now tearing into her, new suspension, maybe a repower, remake her back into what I was so proud of when I built her. Only car I've owned that has never broke, never let me down, turn the key and she goes, every time, easy to ignore when you know it'll run, its a good hot rod, far surpassing anything I ever thought I could build at the time. DSC07688.JPG DSC07686.JPG

11. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

There comes a time where you have to decide weather to finish them or sell them. I reached that point on my Sport Coupe a couple of years ago and had too much money in it to sell as is so I'm working on finishing it now. I bought the body in 2000 and mocked it up and then it sat in the corner for years . Was good timing for me, retired and needed something to keep me busy and now that it's about done I'm kind of looking for another project.

002.JPG running.jpg

rod1, charleyw, osage orange and 2 others like this.
  12. -Brent-

-Brent-

I love this approach. I want/need to adapt that thought process.

13. None of mine are actually stalled. Just shelved a couple, the lakester when the salt quality started to go downhill. No need to dump money into a racecar you can't use. My GMC is currently holding building materials for the stalled HOUSE addition. There was a divorce in there as well about 2 years ago

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_1993.JPG

Is 15 years a long time?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

hotrodjack33 and guthriesmith like this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

Rookie ;)

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  16. uncle buck

uncle buck

nah, I've come to realize I'm really a hoarder....

The37Kid likes this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Time for me to admit to that too, nothing wrong with being one.;) Bob

18. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Getting funding is the problem. Need $80K more. It is
    80% done and will be a trend setting 51 Merc. custom convertible.
    No one has ever built one like this before. Very tasteful with top
    of the line craftsmanship.
    A Ridler contender for certain.

stanlow69, wicarnut and The37Kid like this.
  19. Jim Huseby

Jim Huseby

Arg! 'Was making good progress on my '29 faketon (that could be loosely called a sport phaeton) and looked like I would be driving it last spring, but lost my right leg near the hip. 'Haven't been able to handle the final fab of the 1/4's or get around in its crowded stall yet. Now figuring out whether to make hand controls or just use another engine with automatic trans. I want to be working on and driving it!

rod1, Budget36, trollst and 1 other person like this.
  20. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

my 40 coupe, i took apart in 1979, worked for years, then sold it, then bought back 10 years later, still where i left it. finaly finished it 2016. my complete homebuild started in 1990 , work, stop, work stop for years at a time, finaly finished 2 years ago, came out amazing. keep working, you'll finish it. now i'm working on my 34 rdst. i've had and collected just the right parts for for 19 years, put the caddy eng in last week, primed the hood yesterday worked on running boards today, have to finish it soon, running out of MANGO seasons....GET TO WORK

21. Are they really stalled, if they never started?
    Have owned my 34 Ford Victoria project since 92. Stored in the back of my garage, while I worked and "finished" our 47 Club Coupe. Boys were young, then not so, into school and sports, college etc. Ten years ago, I unburied it from back of garage, stripped it down a bit, then languished again. Have been buying or ordering parts all along.
    This winter should tell the tale. The 47 is stored elsewhere, to make work room, and I plan to give it a shot. Hope I get fired up, after being stalled out for so long.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, but I am still waiting on the electrician.

23. wicarnut

wicarnut

I've been restoring the family Midget race car now for 10 years off and on, got it pretty close, need to take apart, make it pretty and reassemble. If I would get on it steady, it could be done in around 150/200 hours I'm guessing, but some other thing/project comes up to sidetrack me, I do like looking at it setting in my shop, brings up fun memories .When I retired 10 years ago I made a decision to go into a "Nothing happens fast anymore" mode as All my life I worked too hard/too much, played hard, always under pressure, self employed 36 years, family, home, and part of problem is I'm a DIY guy in too many areas. So............. to answer your question, Yes I do want to finish the racer. IMG_0546.JPG IMG_0547.JPG 10462899_245791738963404_562541266575085802_n.jpg 10960151_352874178255159_1881874316602219246_o.jpg Maybe 2021 will be the time the Midget project gets done. Pic's from 1974, last year this car was ran, (Dad's car) I drove it 1970-74

Tman likes this.
  24. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have not had a stalled project since I made one simple addition to my build process.
    A dry erase board. You make a fully detailed list of the things needed to finish the build. You start with the ones that will show the most progress which keeps you going and believe me as you dig into your build you will find small items that you will add to the list.
    I always make my list in black and cross off items in red. That way you really notice when you finish that particular item from the list. As you end up with more red marks than black ones you can see the finish line and it helps me from not wanting to finish the project.
    I understand health issues as well as financial issues, but after while you will make up excuses why you are not working on your project. I had an O/T Boss 302 Mustang that turned from a quick fix for my race car sponsor to a full blown resto. I walked around that pile for 5 years before I turned it over to someone else to finish as I had grown to hate that car. Everytime I thought I was getting close I would find something else on that car. Not something minor ,but more major work that I did not have time for due to my job consuming so many hours after the 9-11 attacks and me working for Homeland Security.

25. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

Back in the early 80s my dad and his cousin each bought a 60s convertible project from the same seller at the same time. Their plans were to complete them together. They finished his cousin Eddie's car and started on my Dad's. During the rebuild, Eddie became ill with Hotchkin's disease. Dad's car was set aside. After Eddie passed, Dad purchased Eddie's completed car. We enjoyed it for years and still do. But all the while Dad's project sat with very little progress.
    I took it over a few years back, and for the life of me cannot find time, money or ambition to throw at it. It seems I just put more and more projects in front of it.
    As a teenager I just could not understand why it sat idle. Why did Dad not buckle down and finish it? Would it ever get done? Now I understand, I still wonder when will it be finished. I guess you could consider it a father/son project....just of a different sort.

osage orange likes this.
  26. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Semi retired last year, then the virus hit. Have made more progress on my 50 chevy truck since then than the previous 5 years. New cowl patch panels, repaired front fenders, replaced most of the floor and
    the bottom of firewall, inner cowl panels etc. Have managed to keep working a little which funds the project. Helps I finally got a garage built with heat.

27. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have two stalled projects, one was a complete running/ driving car and the others was a pile of parts that still needs more parts. The 51 in my avator has been aparts for over 5 yrs now and it just sits.. (its about ready for paint but the $$$ and finding someone I can afford to paint it holds me up). It gets a few hours a year put into it.. focus is still my wagon. Not sure I have lost the love for the 51 or just frustrated with lack of progress. IMG_535.jpg

28. pkhammer

pkhammer

My projects ('32 Ford p/u and '64 Falcon) are not really stalled, I'm just slow. When I was in my 20's and 30's I spent a lot of time in the garage and got a lot of work done. These days I work on things when I feel like it which maybe amounts to a couple of hours a week at most. I'm glad I have them to tinker on when I want to but there will be no more projects. In the future when I want something I'll look for one that's already finished.

29. Budget36

Budget36

Yes, we call all answer to that, well a lot of us anyways. Seems as parents we always want the best for our kids, “ going to get a guy to do.....” was what happens a lot, we as kids waited and then time faded. I’ve been guilty myself with my oldest, wanting her car to “be done right” but not having the time to do it.

So I just said “ go ahead, get it done”.
    We all learn by success and failure

Now I wish she’d find someone to finish the engine for me....sigh.

30. roger didonato

roger didonato

Hi Steve, I have 2 see my avatar. Working on a 1936 ford coupe ute. Dont know how it got here or how long its been here. Was working on it till my health failed as is the fellow doing the fab work. I really want to see it done. I have a pair of rhd spindles and a brake and clutch pedal assembly if anyone you know may be interested also windshield and door window garnisn mouldings .