Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features What paint code is this car painted in?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gr8rods, Nov 29, 2020.

1. gr8rods

gr8rods

What color would you say this is ?
    Looking to paint a car similar to this one
    Any idea what it originates from ??
    It’s Keith Hill Car

Thx IMG_6667.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

dana barlow and Tman like this.
  2. I don't know the specifics, but that looks close to the same color as @Moriarity 's 40

dana barlow likes this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My 40 was painted a non original color back in 1965, I don't know what code it is....

dana barlow likes this.
  4. Kind of looks like '68 Ford pickup Maroon. A friend painted his '40 Ford that color years ago.

rockable and fauj like this.

5. I would just take a pic of the car to the paint store (even if you decide to buy on line later) and look at paint chips until I found a color that matched. A shade in either direction isn't gonna make much difference once its cut and buffed.

Murphy32, LOU WELLS, 56don and 4 others like this.
  6. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Pretty sure pinkies rod shop in colorado built it, call them?

it’s also been in about a dozen magazines one of them may list the name/brand of the color. I think Eric Black designed the car, could ask him as well

lilmann and Just Gary like this.
  8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'46 Ford maroon.

9. figure8

figure8

Ford medium Cabernet red. Just had my 32 5w painted that color. Could find the paint codes if you wish.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. That's the "Federale Coupe", featured in Rodders Journal #68, which says "PPG custom mixed chery cola 2-stage urethane." :cool:
    20201129_172146~2.jpg 20201129_172153~2.jpg

11. It looks just a shade darker than the GMC Medium Garnet Red that @FrozenMerc put on his pickup.

12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is 69 Ford Royal Maroon
    upload_2020-11-29_16-1-47.png

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Billy's roadster comes real close. My flash completely washed the color out when I took the photo from the rear though.

There are a lot of maroon late models floating around right now that are a real similar shade. Kia has one and I have seen a Toyota Highlander here in town that has a nice maroon.

The darker 40 Ford Maroon always looks good too but it doesn't pop like the paint on the coupe in the first post
    [​IMG] Billy Bandit roadster.jpg Billy bandit roadster rear.jpg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    mcsfabrication likes this.
  15. brady1929

brady1929

I too would like to know. If the paint code is out there.

16. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

A google search of "vintage ford maroon color" gave this site as a reference: https://encycolorpedia.com/390b09 - that's the "maroon" page.

The color on MY monitor that most closely matches the color in question is Volkswagen Hibiscus Red. Yours might look different.

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

18. RmK57

RmK57

1969 Ford Royal Maroon....

Attached Files:

19. Careful, this'll get deleted for having the effrontery of posting an image of a sample of a paint color containing an OT car (I should know). Instead of deleting the offensive image and leaving the message text, the moderators feel it's better to get rid of the entire posting. I know that being a moderator is not an easy task, but sometimes a heavy hand is not the right solution. Besides, there are whole threads full of '70s-to-'90s street rods that need some paring...

20. deucemac

deucemac

Ford used a color called Moselle Maroon that looks very close. Used from 1940 until 1948. I am not sure about the spelling of MOSELLE,

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There are numerous similar deep maroon versions over several decades and manufacturers, including commercial colors. A color chip book will offer you many choices,

Maroon is probably my favorite color and I have had several 'vehicles', cars, pickups, boats and airplanes that were either maroon or trimmed with maroon. One experience I had was a version I chose, I think a commercial color, that didn't cover well....that is, it was more translucent than opaque, and took many coats to cover. Unfortunately, that occurred on a car we painted while apart, though all parts were painted at the same time. When assembled, there were detectable differences in 'shades' on adjacent panels. Something to keep in mind.

Ray

Joe Blow likes this.
  22. Lot of these cars in magazines are custom mixed.
    Ford has a couple very nice maroons from the 40s up.
    So does VW and Porsche.
    If ya know a quality paint supplier, give em a visit. Show them the color from the magazine and they can probably hook ya up with several paint chips.

Joe Blow likes this.
  23. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

If this is what you're after for it is 1940 Ford Monsoon Maroon . Dependant on how much light is on it the color can shift from a dark red to a really deep burgundy. I'm real happy with it. Have to give credit to my wife for suggesting it!

fullsizeoutput_4d6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_500.jpeg

AHotRod, earlymopar, Blues4U and 4 others like this.
  24. Next time ya buy paint, ask for the sealer color recommendations. The color used underneath paint greatly affects the number of coats needed to achieve coverage or the color value of the paint.
    There is a popular pearl red used on new cars. A tan color sealer is recommended by the paint manufacturer.
    It’s odd but the color under paint will affect the color on top of it.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Blues4U likes this.
  25. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

26. 31Apickup

31Apickup

IMG_0759.JPG
    My 31 pickup is 1968 Ford Royal Maroon, here’s a close up.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary likes this.
  27. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

Here's another example of Monsoon Maroon on my 47 Tudor. I can dig up the code if anyone is interested. Love your coupe! 20150709_193319.jpg

28. slowmotion

slowmotion

Just a FWIW. I'm pretty good friends with the guy who runs the paint room at the NAPA I deliver for. It amazes me how many different 'variants' there can be on a manufacturer's single paint code for one color. It's the reason most shops have their own mixing banks these days. Not a problem when it's a 'complete' paint job. But for a panel blend/repair it may take several tries to get it right. Point is, you may find a shop/jobber who's be willing to do a few spray-out cards to find something you're happy with, codes aside. Our guy does them on occasion for this vary reason.

Just Gary and woody45 like this.
  29. Please do. That would be great!