Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Blind as a Bat!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Willywash, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Willywash

Willywash

Starting to shop for a universal wiring harness for my 31A. I have installed three EZ...but it's been a few years ago when I could see that very small label on wires. Could someone recommend a brand that has larger labels on wires? I wear readers and have a magnifying glass, but surely there's a company using bigger gauge wire or just larger writing on the wires.

Elcohaulic and Deuces like this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

Comes with old age.... Ask me how I know..... o_O :mad: :(

3. American Auto Wire. I haven't seen "larger print on our wires than the other guys" advertised by any of the wire companies, but AAW kits come with nice schematics.

Jet96, mad mikey, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  4. I recommend them too. I have used EZwire, Rebel, an American Autowire. American AUtowire was the best, it had actual schematics showing origin and destination of the wiring, not just simplistic diagrams.

mad mikey, Deuces and AHotRod like this.

5. I have installed several American Auto Wire kits and helped install at least 4 for friends.

I think it's the most complete wiring kit available with color schematics, it ain't the cheapest but I think it's the best. HRP

mad mikey, Deuces and AHotRod like this.
  6. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

One big challenge with the two EZwire kits I have installed was the non color coded (all black) wires. I think spending a little more and buying a harness with labels and color coded wires helps.

Deuces, 5window and texasred like this.
  7. J53

J53
    from WI

I believe the last two times I bought EZ kits their colored wire kits were the same price as their black wire kits. Their instructions could be better though, I will agree with that.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces likes this.
  8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

we found that eazy letters just rubbed off, bet we stripped wire to see where it went a dozen times...

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have used American Autowire on my last 4 rewires. I really like their stuff. The marking on the wires is easy to read, even for a 71 year old.

mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  10. chargin03

chargin03

American Auto Wire.

Deuces likes this.
  11. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've installed several EZ kits, basic and full circuit, and while I have gotten to the point of using a magnifying glass to read the lettering I still would use them. The biggest drawback is their customer service. The times I have called their number for Tech advice I always get a dick head who talks to you like you are bothering him and insinuates that you are an idiot. But then maybe I am.

r2c1, mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  12. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

13. I've used EZ wiring on 4 builds and have never had a problem installing or after.

Deuces likes this.
  14. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Ron Francis wiring. Very Good color codes, easy to read labels, great written instructions, Serial Number for each kit, Phone help if needed with 800 #.
    I just redid my coupe wiring and I like the EZ mount that allows you to pull down the fuse block so you can get at it easier. I also followed one of the tricks posted on the HAMB and painted the inside of the firewall and under the cowl WHITE so these old 73 eyes can see better. Just my opinion Plus the wire they use is not the typical PVC coated, not sure what the material is but supposed to be rated I believe for higher temperatures.

lemondana, Dino 64 and AccurateMike like this.
  15. I've used EZ wiring on 7 builds..not saying they're the best, it's just that, that is who I first used (kind of like paint brands..stick with what you're familiar with thing).
    I'm not strong on electric anything, but found them quite user friendly.
    Agree it's hard to read the lettering on the wires.

16. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

All the wires are black? You're kidding right? My buddies wife has a 36 3w and he recently swapped (SBC) engines but was having charging problems. I crawl under the dash, and Holy Balls! While everything was neat as a pin, correctly routed and good crimps, EVERY wire was black. Big wires, little ones, power feeds, grounds, everything.No indicator tabs or number reference of any kind. I gave my buddy, known for being a cheapskate, some ribbing " Were you too cheap to buy more than one color wire?" "No," he says "my buddy wired it, He's a Journeyman Master electrician" I replied "He should stay in the house where he only has to worry about 3 colors"

lemondana likes this.
  17. Maicobreako

Maicobreako

All the dash wires on my Peterbilt were white. Very small numbers on them. Back then I could see, not so much now.
    Sometimes I tape my own labels on wiring.

Texas Webb likes this.
  18. manyolcars

manyolcars

Do these kits come with wire for heat and A/C? Back up lights? Fog lights? Electric fuel pump at the gas tank? Under dash lights so you can find what you dropped? wire for speakers? Are you forced to lay wire on the floor? I like to run the wires going to the back over the doors.
    I've never used a kit because I dont think it will do what I want. Convince me that a kit is a good idea

Texas Webb likes this.
  19. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

I went with a Painless 12 circuit as I don't have a lot of accessories. It has provisions for dome light, stereo, A/C ,heater, wipers, electronic speedo and spare circuits. They also have 18 and 24 circuit versions and add ons for elec. fans, EFI, sound systems, etc. Small wire, but enough length to do a car over 200 inches long. Very helpful and well laid out instructions.
    I came away with a better understanding of vehicle electrics after wiring my car by myself. The only snag was having to add a diode to the type of GM alternator I have, so the engine will shut off. Being "electrically challenged" I would recommend their products

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  20. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

reminds me of MY low-buck days installing a j.c. whitney harness in my shoebox. i think it was made in brazil--not near the quality of chinese stuff. i wound up cobbling it together with other wire to get it to work. i think the biggest problem was the headlight wire that went to the dimmer switch. you had to route it where a screw comes through the firewall!

21. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rebel wire ,plus they are an alliance member.
    I have used budget offshore kits (keep it clean) and they basically dont care how its put together, wrong colours wrong labels, only suitable for parts.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Texas Webb likes this.
  22. Willywash

Willywash

Looks like you win Joe Blow! The labeling is better in the pic than EZ. AAW is about 100 bucks more than a 12 circuit EZ, but it sure would make install easier.. Thanks.... Joe Blow and I'll drink as much as possible.

Joe Blow likes this.
  23. goldmountain

goldmountain

After I trim my wires to length, I tend to keep the left over pieces to use in other places and what is labeled on the wires is irrelevant. Sometimes I will go onto something else and won't have a clue to where I left off. It all works out in the end.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I got a jc whitney kit for my shoebox too! Scared me so much that I sold it and scratched built my own; hasn't burnt the car up yet. Neatly messy under the dash but my labeling has held up for changes/additions over the years. I know Ron Francis is expensive but I believe is the best.

lemondana likes this.
  25. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I've used 4 rebel wire kits, and about to order a 5th. In my mind theres no better deal for price quality and customer service all in one.

ffr1222k likes this.
  26. Norton72

Norton72

need a simple wire diagram to start , run, head lights tail light , stop

27. I was happy with my Rebel Wire harness.... and they are an Alliance Vendor here.
    Chappy

Deuces likes this.
  28. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Simple harness that I use. 68 to 72 chevy pickup. Easy to remove and simple to install.

Deuces likes this.
  29. Cad tramp

Cad tramp

Agreed. Rebel makes a great harness

Deuces likes this.