Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painted my car with rustoleum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KaiserKruiser, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Slackdaddy

Slackdaddy
    from Maryland

Dumb question,,, has anyone found a way to keep Alkyd Enamel from drying out in the can once opened?? If I open a fresh Qt or gallon, it has started to dry out in a few weeks no matter how well I think I have the lid on.

Any ideas?? put the can in a big Zip lock baggy??

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. RMONTY

RMONTY

Try shooting some MIG gas in the can before slamming it shut. I've heard of this and it will cost 4' of MIG wire. Does it work? Let us know!

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've painted a lot of outside crap with Rustoleum and it always fades and turns to shit. I'll use car paint evert time I can.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  4. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I painted my OT Power Wagon with Rustolem Boat Paint, it’s new and UV protected . I added hardener and it looks good as it needs to . My Buddy’s heckle the hell out of me . My answer is if you want to paint my farm truck nicer , there it is and open your billfold or shut the hell up , next time you want an engine or trans moved , let me know if you care about scratchin up my rust oleum ?

5. I've painted parts of a black OT car with rustoleum with the new types spray can looks,ok at first then fades , so now I've ordered catalyzed clear coat from Amazon in a spray can 18 bucks supposedly that will make it look good. You hit the can with the heel of your hand drives the hardener vial into the paint, gotta use the whole can in a few,hours before it reacts.

6. F-head

F-head

I painted this pickup with Ace brand rustoleum used Napa Pih 50 hardener thinned with lacquer thinner
    Had a great satin finish which is what I was after 9BC0D5D1-BFE1-4F3F-85CE-98D03668F46A.png

Paul B, rod1, Stogy and 9 others like this.
  7. Joeh123

Joeh123

I’ve painted several vehicles with Rustolium, it works fine. You can mix colors to tint it and add about 20% clearcoat it you want it shinier. I use generic enamel hardener and generic cheap clear, it seems almost impervious to any combination. When using the Rusty Metal primer, you must let it CURE before you start sanding. Maybe a month or so. Then topcoat it with whatever paint you happen to have at that time. Disagree with me if you like, but understand that absolutely no paint AT ANY PRICE will stand up to rust and poor prep conditions like this Rusty Metal product. (Especially if you treat the metal with any brand of phosphoric acid first).

alanp561 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Can somebody explain to me why you can't put non-Rustoleum paint over Rustoleum? I've seen this posted multiple times, several times in this thread alone. Is there something to this, or is it urban legend that just gets repeated a lot. Seems to me that if you're going to do a "real" paint job on any car, regardless of what paint is on it, you're going to at least sand down what's there and prime it and block sand it and seal it, before applying the color, right? Even if it is Rustoleum underneath, won't the primer and sealer prevent any negative reactions between the Rustoleum and whatever non-Rustoleum top coat? I'm not a painter, so this is a serious question, not trying to start a shit storm or just be contrarian.

9. F-head

F-head

303BF989-77A4-444B-A12F-957292C89372.png Here’s another Ace brand “ Rustoleum” job
    Custom mix satin finish using NAPA PIH 50 hardener and thinned with lacquer thinner
    Came out great

10. it is all about catalyzed paint over the non catalyzed rustoleum

chryslerfan55, Stogy and ct1932ford like this.
  11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Thanks. I do think the issue has been greatly over exaggerated.

12. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i painted white rustoleum primer on my car and then painted acrylic enamel white over it . no problem.
    still shines after 20 years and has been always outside.

13. Can anyone tell me why when painting over spray can rustoleum primer with spray can rustoleum paint you sometimes get wrinkling almost like you just applied paint stripper?

14. 9200 IH

9200 IH

I have had this happen a few times. I think it was because I didn't let the primer dry long enough.

chevy57dude likes this.