Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects NOT THE TYPICAL '30 ROADSTER BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roll of the dices, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Works better than I expected. It is pretty roomy in there, for an 8' x 8'
    Plan to do the hood, deck lid and grill tomorrow.

thumbnail_IMG_6751.jpg

2. The little kid in me wants to holler out Code blue, code blue.

brEad likes this.
  3. LOL...I come out of there and everything looks blue.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Almost done spraying all the smaller parts.
    That Southern Polyurethane material sprays really nice. I don't have experience with other products, so I can't say if it is better or worst than others but I can say it is very user friendly, forgiving and it lays down very smooth.

...starting to plan how to make making a dolly/cart to keep the body on it and separate the body from the frame....

thumbnail_IMG_6753.jpg

5. Body is one solid color again. Like the way it looks with all the repairs, metal work, and fab all done....it sure has come a long way.
    Got it all in epoxy primer. Body is looking nice and straight and ready for blocking and finishing all body work....It should keep me entertained during winter/spring. Hoping to start paint it by next summer.

Before that, the plan is to finish routing the electrical, separating the body from frame, and concentrating on finishing the frame and getting it to a full painted rolling chassis.

thumbnail_IMG_6761.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6760.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6757.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6755.jpg

6. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good!

loudbang and 33Doll like this.
  7. Thank you

8. Looks good in primer!

loudbang likes this.
  9. Thank you!

10. Spent sometime this weekend seam sealing the trunk area....
    Used Eastwood's brush-on product. Really liked it and I was able to get it for less than $30...the high from the smell was free!

Moving now to the front and will do the bottom once I remove the body.
    The trunk and rear quarter panels, as the rest of the inside, will be covered with sound barrier material

thumbnail_IMG_6775.png
    thumbnail_IMG_6776.png

thumbnail_IMG_6777.png

11. Got the front seam sealed. today. That is one strong smell on that sealer!!!

thumbnail_IMG_6807.jpg
    That bulkhead is nice and solid. It should provide some protection to the fuel tank

thumbnail_IMG_6808.jpg

It feels so good to go back and see the before and after...

IMG_2665.jpg
    BEFORE

thumbnail_IMG_6807.jpg
    AFTER

IMG_2666.jpg
    BEFORE

thumbnail_IMG_6775.png
    AFTER

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    oliver westlund, Jrs50, brEad and 4 others like this.
  12. Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving. With all restrictions going on, this year's celebration sure was different but not hard to see we still have a lot to celebrate and be thankful for.....

I've been completing a bunch of little tedious tasks and getting ready to separate the body and frame.
    Today was the day! With some help from my dad the body and frame are two again....
    thumbnail_IMG_6822.jpg

I was sweating bullets as the rear was going up. Huge sigh of relief once it was secured and done.
    thumbnail_IMG_6823.jpg

Time to start working on the underneath. Lots of prep work ahead.
    thumbnail_IMG_6824.jpg

oliver westlund, brEad, Jrs50 and 6 others like this.
  13. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Like the hanging tin...
    but also there are a lot of guys here that wish they could have dad "help/watch" working on their rig...
    enjoy that fun with dad...

Rustridden31, brEad, Jrs50 and 2 others like this.
  14. You are absolutely right about dad. I am blessed and lucky to still have both, mom and dad, with me.
    These days, I find myself enjoying an holding onto every minute they spend with us, as I never did before.

My dad is the one that turned me on to liking these older cars...and an early memory, I was 3 or 4 years old, of a B/W poster of a Model A that he hung on the wall of my bedroom is part of what fueled this build.

15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

go dadios go !

loudbang and Jrs50 like this.
  16. Spent Tuesday and Wednesday cleaning out my dad's shop. Several times I ran across things that I could tell he had a plan for but I have no idea what it could be. Really missing Dad this week.

17. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Sorry for your loss.

oliver westlund, Jrs50 and loudbang like this.
  18. Jr that's a rough part of life following behind our folks after they have departed.
    Sorry for your loss. Keep at it, it does get better with time....

Jrs50 and loudbang like this.
  19. I am sorry for your loss. I wish you peace and comfort.

20. Thanks guys. It has been a while, but no one has really moved any stuff around in his shop. My mom wanted to be able to park her 31 in there. Not many 74 yo mothers have a Model A they regularly drive. I had to take 2 engines and put them in the pole barn. But it was things like I cleaned off a table and there were 5 Ford solenoids, I know he didn't have 5 spares, he had a plan to use them for some other purpose, I just can't figure out what. Just moving his things around makes me wish I had the man and not his things.
    Wasn't trying to hijack the thread, it is just there were a couple of commits about dad in the shop and I added where my head was at. Sorry for getting mushy.

21. All good here....nothing wrong with sharing more than ideas on how to build cars.

22. Got some final welding done on the rear rails and mini channel upfront.
    Started the cleaning process in preparation for painting.
    Removed all the surface rust off and treated all hard to reach surface rust areas with Skyco Ospho.

skyco.jpg

I read it is the only recommended product to treat rust for use along with Southern Polyurethane products, that I am already using.
    Anyone looking for it, ACE hardware has it at the lowest price, $27/gallon and available for local pick up; at least here in LA...Read some good reviews on this stuff....Friendly to use and starts working right away.

thumbnail_IMG_6832.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6833.jpg
    180 grit is next on the list while waiting for etching primer and adhesion promoter to arrive.

oliver westlund, brEad and loudbang like this.
  23. Have you used the Skyco? I'm curious how well it works.

loudbang likes this.
  24. I did. I applied one heavy coat of it. It is supposed to be left on the metal for at least 24hrs before painting....so I will keep you posted, since it only has been there for a few hours.

I don't have any previous experience with rust treatments, so nothing to compare to. I don't have any heavy rust since the car was sand blasted before but I do have some surface rust.
    So far, this thing seems to be doing a good job...I used a spray bottle and as soon as you spray it you can hear a soft sizzling sound. It smells similar to muriatic acid but not as strong. It starts turning the rusty areas into a white chalky color and then it turns to a grey/black color. Rust seems to be gone...that is as far as it has gone.

I guess the proof will be once I apply the epoxy primer over it...fingers crossed.

oliver westlund, loudbang and Jrs50 like this.
  25. Coated with etching primer and ready to seal all seams.

thumbnail_IMG_6841.jpg

26. Do you do anything to neutralize the ospho or just paint over it?

loudbang likes this.
  27. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I used OSPHO on the bottom of my coupe, it works well. Just paint right over it, no neutralizing.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  28. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I've used Ospho on several projects,
    'never had an issue.
    Use a brush or rag to apply, Never spray
    and let it dry completely, at least the 24 hours recommended.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Thanks for the answers, gentlemen!

loudbang likes this.
  30. I read several posts stating no neutralizing needed and equal amount saying to neutralize it before painting.
    I cleaned it well with SPI's recommended wax/grease remover, hit it with a DA and cleaned again with wax/grease remover and let it dry for 24hrs. Process left a really nice surface and so far, primer adhesion is nice and tuff.
    Once I am done with the seam sealer, I will apply another coat of primer and will report back on adhesion.