Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pioneer Compressor with Kingston-Conley motor

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by kentuckyscum, Nov 25, 2020.

1. kentuckyscum

kentuckyscum
    from kentucky

Maybe somebody can point me the right direction. Need info on redoing an old Kingston-Conley motor on a 30s or 40s compressor. It's basically a tire filler, but it's cool so I want to fix it up. The info I've found so far alleges the motor was built sometime between 1932 and 1945ish. It works but it needs a start capacitor, as the pics show. It has no markings, so I have no idea what to replace it with. Also I wouldn't mind putting new bearings in it. Again, maybe somebody knows something or can point me to another board or something. Thanks. DSC_0762.JPG DSC_0765.JPG DSC_0764.JPG DSC_0763.JPG

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

i am no electrician, but i believe any motor shop could provide the capacitor just by the specs on the tag. they are sort of generic. bearings should really be easy as they always have a number on them. i always check ebay first for bearings, as often times they are cheap estate sale stuff

3. wulf powis

wulf powis

4. wulf powis

wulf powis

also you should disassemble the motor check the windings remove the rust and seal up any bad insulation to keep rom shorting.

5. kentuckyscum

kentuckyscum
    from kentucky

Thanks for the help. Dumb question, what do you use to seal up bad insulation? Thanks...

A couple more pics. I added the on/off switch and pressure switch. When I got the compressor you just plugged it in and it ran continuously. When it came up to the set pressure the excess air just came out a “blow off” or over pressure valve. It was intolerable.

Attached Files:

6. wulf powis

wulf powis

The gray box below the on off switch has a set of contacts, that are probably stuck closed, clean the contacts and sand them smooth. Thats why the compressor keeps running and not shutting off when the pressure limit is reached and the blowoff valve releases. this what I use to coat the windings if needed ,about 8 dollars a can. you can get from amazon, mcmaster carr ect.
    AS01.jpg