Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do You Take On Outside Work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, Nov 26, 2020.

1. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I do side work, mostly manual transmissions and rear ends. I make some adapters for transmissions, to the limits of my tools and talent. I also take on some mild restorations, chassis and mechanicals only, no body repair or painting. But there is an end coming to that soon, I think I have the last one in the shop now. I work strictly time and materials, and payday when I have $1000 in parts and labor due. They can take the car out with a weeks notice, or I can throw them out with a weeks notice.

My dailys are maintained by a local guy I trust, and he sends a few jobs my way, but I don't take most of them.

bchctybob likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to all the time when I was a lot younger and still get asked a lot but most people don't want to pay what it is worth to have the work done and act like they are doing you a favor letting you work on their car. If I was better set up I'd probably do on the car wheel balancing and front end alignments on older cars but that is about it.

bchctybob and Shalamo like this.
  3. gene-koning

gene-koning

For 25 years, I ran my own welding shop. I retired in Oct 2018, but worked mornings Mon-Fri for the next full year because I had customers I might have only seen once or twice a year. As that year came and went, I told everyone I was done on Oct 2019.

I was still get people that want me to do stuff for them. I would tell them its carry in and carry out, nothing big, nothing under a car or truck, only if I feel like it that day, and I may or may not be in the shop on any given day. I want to work on my stuff when I want to work on my stuff. Some people still wanted me to do something under their car or truck, or take on some kind of big project for them. Those were easy to tell no to.

We have just passed Oct 2020, two years after I've retired. I still get people that ask me to do stuff. The simple answer these days is: NO! Gene

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll give you a hint : I posted on the "Stalled Projects" thread yesterday.

5. Budget36

Budget36

Well, you have ( it seems ) to make better friends than I. Lol. I helped a “friend “ out whose kid bought a big assed 4x4 on a song, rear needed “a lot of money to fix”.
    His kid brought it over, I took it apart and most of the rung gear bolts were stripped out. Pulled it down, to the shop, used the heli coils I had...back on the road

Left me a 12 pack of Keystone Light in front of the door the next day

Few days later his dad stops buy, asks if his kid made it right

Told him well, found a 12 pack out front. He said “yea, I raised my kid right”. He was proud of it. Mercy, packs of inserts cost 2 x the warm piss beer he left

Found out the kid sold the truck for more than twice he payed. What did I get out of it? Nothing

don’t talk to the dad anymore:).

Point is I’m trying to make? Real friends treat you right. Those that don’t, well. Curb and kick comes to mind

I seem to have less stress when someone calls and I just say “ I don’t know”

sorry O C , must be the beer that sparked my reply;)

6. southcross2631

southcross2631

I used to have my own shop and now I give them the I really don't want to do it price and if they agree it's worth my time .

X-cpe, Shalamo and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  7. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I know the feeling. Some people think a 12 pack of Natty Light is gold I guess.

gimpyshotrods, Budget36 and Shalamo like this.
  8. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I don't mind helping a guy out now and then. It can actually be a lot of fun. But, when it turns into me doing all the work while they watch, not so much.

9. Whoamel

Whoamel
    from So Cal

I do pretty nice paint work. I have learned the hard way that no favor goes unpunished. I will still do some friends a favor and possibly paint some parts, but that friends list is very short...

trollst likes this.
  10. I used to do a ton of frame work. I have a floor system in my shop and would pull frames/unibodies all the time. Loved it.
    My old boss encouraged us young guys to do all the side work we could. He even let us use his shop if needed. Built stuff for his friends.
    I haven’t done near as much since I have been teaching. I have tried to fix a couple for myself but also used this time to actually be a dad.
    But I built most of my stuff by trading for the parts to build em.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The frame on my '39 p/u had a crack that I needed to have repaired. My welding skills are iffy at best and don't even ask about overhead welding. That said I asked a friend if he could recommend anyone with a rack that I could pay to take on the repair. Without blinking an eye he said he'd do it. Drove the truck to his home shop and in less than an hour it was fixed. I did pass him a wrench or adjust the welder when asked but other than that I didn't do anything but stand there. When it was all said and done he wouldn't take any money. He is however very involved in a charity through his church so I made a donation to it in his name. Hopefully that will start to balance things out and now I'm on the donor list so I'm sure I'll be able to continue to pay it forward in the future.

12. No, this is a hobby not a job. I already have a job. I'd rather save my brain cells for my stuff, which I am increasingly reluctant to do. On occasion I may help someone out, but I'd rather coach them, and see how well they do. :cool:

jimmy six and Pocket Nick like this.
  13. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

Did you ever notice that the so called friends you do favors for seem to be busy when you need an extra hand.

bchctybob, trollst, jimmy six and 5 others like this.
  14. This has been me lately too, I make them do it and I just play inspector.

Montana1 likes this.
  15. southcross2631

southcross2631

That's why when we moved from Florida back to Tn. we moved a wrecker bill away from family. I did not want to be the family mechanic.
    Our grandson wants me to rebuild the front end on his 4x4 Ford p.u. .So I told him that I needed him to buy me a new tire for my trailer. He said he couldn't afford to pay me in advance for my work so i could go to Florida with 4 brand new tires on my trailer. So I went and bought my own tire and he can figure out how to rebuild his own front end. $ 52.00 is pretty cheap labor for 6 hours worth of labor that is not easy to do in the driveway.
    He is part of me generation. What can you do for me . Time for him to learn a difficult lesson.

bchctybob, trollst, Shalamo and 5 others like this.
  16. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Absolutely not. I may help friends and family with certain projects, but that's a day here or there and never in exchange for money.

I've often heard the adage that "if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life." I don't know what crackhead came up with that saying, but it has been just the opposite for me. As soon as I HAVE to do something, it usually sucks the enjoyment right out of it.

I find working on cars, and especially my hot rod/custom cars, to be an enjoyable and fulfilling hobby independent of my actual career. I also enjoy my actual work (usually) and I've found that when you're good at something and have an expertise in it, you tend to enjoy that work because you're operating at a high level. But doing side automotive work doesn't make sense for me since not only does it it take me away from my own projects, but from a monetary standpoint I can't charge what I would charge for my other work. If I really needed more money, I would just work more hours in my day job. It's an inefficient use of time.

17. Joe H

Joe H

I have been building a motor or two every few years just to stay in the game so to speak. This last one spun a bearing after he had it installed then came complaining to me about it. I pulled it out of a just completed ( frame off ) restored GTO, repaired everything that was wrong, put it back in, drove to be sure it was right, all without scratching anything. All I got for the extra work was a check for parts. I broke it in before delivering it to the shop, so I don't even know if it was my doings or not.
    I got two more lined up and thats it, it's not worth the trouble.

18. Boatmark

Boatmark

No way. Like many people, the day job, commute, and family obligations leave little time for my own stuff. Time spent wrenching on my own stuff is my relaxation time. It’s not relaxing to be obligated to someone else’s stuff.

For a very close few friends I will help you diagnose, Assist / teach you to do it, and loan you the tools to do it. One friend has zero hands on skills but a teenaged son who really wants to learn, and in that case I have been more involved, but I consider that paying it forward for some old guys who helped me when I was his age. And his enthusiasm for a ratty old pickup is catching.

19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`m self employed and in the automotive industry. I have a couple guys who say they will only do work(side jobs) for me. Nobody else. I treat them well. And a lot of my customers say the same thing about me.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  20. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I do most of my own work, send some stuff out. I am very careful about passing references to others - I've met some car folks that abuse their vendors (the ones at the car events that are always complaining), I am not going to steer these folks to any shop. Remember: Some customers make you happy when the go out the door...

51504bat and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The people who complain the most don`t do anything productive. Meaning they don`t build or create anything. They don`t understand what it takes to do a job, the time involved and the tools needed. Let alone the parts. They don`t know the difference between a 400 dollar job and a 600 dollar job. When I go to shows, I don`t tell people what I do for a living. Makes life much simpler that way.

22. Dyce

Dyce

I have a "hobby shop" outside of town separate from my house and have tooled it out pretty goid doing side projects. Side projects also keep it warm, keep the lights on, and pay the taxes. I don't see much income this way and I would love to be in it full time but I would be a poor business man. Fortunately ( or not) my job with its pay and benefits is just to good to quit.

23. I quit doing side jobs, my time with my family and my own projects is more valuable than the little bit of extra money.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Montana1 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I had my last shop, and was building cars fill-time, the Hollywood veil had not yet been lifted for many.

I had people that were under the impression that it took a few days, or maybe a week, to get things done. Many even directly cited what they saw on television as the reason for their expectations.

I am seeing it more and more on the cable car shows the calling out of the time a build is taking. For those actually paying attention, you can hear the claim of months, and even years on builds, and even the number of employees.

ProTip: If it takes a shop with 45 employees 2-years to finish a similar build, I literally cannot do it in any amount of time, and you cannot afford it, either.

25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Objects on tires have always been a “hobby” with me. I loved learning how to do something and buying the tool to do it. At one time gave advice when asked but gave up on that too when the person took someone else’s and it turned to shit. Did chuckle quite a few time though.
    I worked over 45 yrs in the power industry and retired from it at 69. At now 76 I’m tired but will put in 5 hours a day for a week to see my son driving his 1/2 dirt super stock on a Saturday night and will scrape mud after track pack and the heat race. I’ll still continue to assemble engines as long as I can and sit in my LSR roadster once or twice a year.

Truckdoctor Andy and Budget36 like this.
  26. IMG_0476.JPG

Restored 12 of these O/T cars over a two year period. Did well financially but took me away from the hot rod.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bigmac48 likes this.
  27. trollst

trollst

Funny, I thought I was alone in the dept of being used for my time and favours, I do have some very good friends who trade favours and goods though and I treasure them. I just completed a 41 dodge pickup for my friend, half my garage is in that truck, and all my knowledge, all donated in the effort to see him get it on the road. It turned out fantastic, and I was overjoyed to help, for years I been borrowing his equipment to push snow, do some digging, he'll supply the odd load of gravel, all at no cost to me. He has never asked and refused when I offer, so it was my turn, I wish a lot of my "friends" understood that concept. DSC07346.JPG DSC07355.JPG 4.jpg

Fordors, Bigmac48, bchctybob and 6 others like this.
  28. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have a fairing for a HD in the shop right now. I get suckered in all the time. I do a lot of freebies. That way I can give them double their money back, if they don't like it.

bchctybob likes this.
  29. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yea, I still do cylinder head work.
    Mostly the oddball engines that modern aluminum heads aren't made.

Early Cadillac, Chrysler Hemi, Studebaker, etc.

Mike

bchctybob likes this.
  30. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i mowed my mom s lawn for 45 yrs thats outside work : )

Bigmac48 and Budget36 like this.