Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Short term engine storage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bubzy, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Bubzy

Bubzy
    from Detroit

Happy Thanksgiving all. I just had my engine rebuilt and can't install it until Mar-Apr. In the pole barn (not heated) under a breathable cover. Do I need to fog the cylinders? What do you folks recommend so I won't have any issues at start up. Thanks

2. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

I can't see any reason not to be sure that the cylinder walls are protected. I can imagine that you are in a humidity rich area. The peace of mind from treating them is worth the effort,

gnichols and rbrewer like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

put it in the house....

73RR, triumph 1, alanp561 and 3 others like this.
  4. Squirrel has the best solution, but if that is not possible- Under a pole barn, make sure it is off the ground with sheet plastic underneath to mitigate ground moisture. Tape all of the open ports shut with plastic and tape, you will be surprised where mice will build a nest. Fog the cylinders through the spark plug holes, install some plugs, and hand spin the engine. Do that about once a month. If you have any bare metal (such as the rear of the block), coat it with rust preventative. Make sure to remove the oil pan drain plug before running it to drain any accumulated liquid from the fogging process.

gnichols and alanp561 like this.

5. 73RR

73RR

You could build a small 'tent' around the engine and heat it with a good 'ol incandescent 60watt light bulb....LED won't work as they don't generate any appreciable heat.

williebill, gnichols and squirrel like this.
  6. Whale I guess that throws out my long term storage for a barley broke in engine.........

kidcampbell71 likes this.