Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical French Flat mods

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HaroldDegand, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Hi, my project is to put a 239 french flat in a 1932 stock chassis, so I've some questions.

#1 I'll use the original engine mounts. But on a french flat, the holes are not drilled for the engine mounts and for the anti chatter rods. I'm using the original rear axle with torque tube.
    Did someone do it yet ? Maybe using a template ?

P1060255.JPG
    P1060259.JPG

#2 Is it possible to use a crab dizzy without changing the camshaft ?
    I think it isn't. If somebody can confirm.
    Also, I'ld like to use a single belt setup. On my engine, one belt drives the right water pump and the gen, the other one drives the left pump and the fan. the pumps have 2 different offset and 2 different pulley diameter.

Thanks.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

The answer to the single belt is to use 48-53 truck water pumps, they are side mount and the same distance from the block. I'm running them on my V8 A and using a 12 volt generator with a 37 pulley and fan, I mocked the engine up with an alternator using a 37 pulley machined for it but went with the generator since it's period correct for the car. I had the front crankshaft pulley machined off so I had extra clearance on the front crossmember. The pump pulley is 2 3/4 inch from the mounting flange. Speedway Motors sells the pumps and an adapter to use the crab distributor on the later style of flathead.

C motor 012.JPG

plugs.jpg fh2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not entirely sure how any type of distributor adapter to run a crab cap will get around the long nose on an 8BA style cam . You can get an adapter to run an 8BA distributor on an early cam ,but not vice versa.

4. I continue this thread about the mods.
    I finally got the cam out of the 59a. It isn’t in a good shape to be re usable.
    The plan to convert the military to a 59a style on a budget isn’t so easy.
    So I’m thinking about keeping the 8ba style and keep the original cam.
    The question is, is the french cam the same as a 8ba and good for a car use ?

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

thumbnail (50).jpg thumbnail (51).jpg thumbnail (52).jpg thumbnail (53).jpg
    This is how I did it for my French block

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I believe the cam is same purpose as 8ba, specs might differ.

7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Use the Bob Drake truck water pumps for engine mounting pads...

8. Thanks big duece.
    I’ll drill and tap the front of the block to use the original 32 mounts.

9. ruppi1932

ruppi1932
    from Germany

10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

The rod is home made 3/8" diameter with small diameter shoulders welded on, and the ends threaded. I ended up using a GM diaphragm style pressure plate for v8 camaro. The adapter is from Cornhuskers Rod and Custom in Nebraska, KS he offers adapters for both the GM and Ford style T5 cases.

11. ruppi1932

ruppi1932
    from Germany

okay - but what is the function of the rod? Does this support the engine and transmission to the rear? If I use the original torquetube, I definitely don't need it - do I?

12. The 'anti chatter rods' or 'steady rods' are used in combination with a torque tube.
    On an open drive, they are useless.
    Why ? To make it simple, when you release the clutch, the rear axle via the torque tube push the trans and the engine forward.
    To avoid this phenomen, the steady rods keep the engine in place.

13. ruppi1932

ruppi1932
    from Germany

if I understand correctly I need these rods when using an original gearbox and torquetube. Also in a 32 frame with an original 32 k-member?

14. Yes, absolutly !
    As you'll using an original transmission, you'll need a late 32 clutch release arm, or the steady rod will interfer with the early model.

15. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

16. rusty valley

rusty valley

i have cut the gear off an 8ba style cam and slotted it for the crab dizzy. not too big of problem except you'll have to remove the cam and find a mill. i have posted pics before, can post again if you wish

17. Yes please, it could be interesting for everybody.

18. rusty valley

rusty valley