Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Presley & Driver's Education

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Presley & Driver's Education

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Roothawg, 31hotrodguy, Baumi and 8 others like this.
  2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I believe that shorter Hoodlum is Barney Navarro.. could be wrong... but I thought I read that somewhere.....

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

The shorter hoodlum is Bill Hines.
    The pic has been on here a few times. I love it!

4. That guy is way too tall to be Bill Hines. Also, Bill was born with a spine condition where he couldn't stand completely upright. And what was Bill doing in Arizona?

chryslerfan55 and lurker mick like this.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The section covering “delinquent drivers” features a photograph of a nasty roadster flanked by a couple of teens "dealing with some bullshit shoveled out by a ticket writing, Colt holstering copper."

Me thinks the comment is a little over the top. Policeman was just doing his job.

Hnstray, golferforpar and AmishMike like this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I try to do everything over the top man... Especially when it comes to perspective!

Light hearted joke homie...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Deuces, rod1, 63fdsnr and 5 others like this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It sure looks like him though...

chryslerfan55, Tim and Dan Hay like this.
  8. That’s rad

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My daughter finishes her second stage of driver's ed tonight...Still can't get her to drive the Shoebox.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

Love the chromed Ford wires.

11. My oldest just got her license this fall, she drove my ‘64 Chrysler convertible this past summer, top down, grinning ear to ear, she’s already making plans to drive it this summer on her own.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. I see the frame seems to have a step up in front and I can't see a hint of a radiator. HRP

13. Hmm...you were paying better attention to your kids drivers ed than I did recently. However, in my defense, my kid actually sat in a class for his. Mine did do most of his parent drive time in an old car though in case I get credit for that. :D

BACCAB6C-524D-4CC3-BB0D-AFA8DCBFF6D0.jpeg

14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know how much actual behind the wheel training your daughter will get but when my son (now 27) took his driver training from AAA they didn't teach parallel parking. Luckily my sons instructor included it after I asked about it. I guess since the California drivers test doesn't include parallel parking anymore they don't think it needs to be taught. I guess its like driving a stick. Back when I had drivers training given by my HS I learned to drive a stick in a 3 on the tree in a dual control Rambler. Also how to parallel park since it was part of the drivers test at the DMV.

Deuces likes this.
  15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Shorpy has some amazing old images. I've spent more time than I'll admit zooming in and studying so many of them.

Deuces, lothiandon1940 and Dan Hay like this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

DETAILS:

upload_2020-11-25_7-33-20.png How ironic, that those two hot rodders are standing in front of an exhaust header tube cap that looks like "giving the finger" at anyone. Perhaps, the guy is standing in front to hide it from the law. Legal, but to the point.

Hello,

Or, it could be a welded criss-cross bars for grip to unscrew the cap off and back on for some quiet. The shock mounts are pretty nice for 1953 and the roadster has a nice grille guard, but no radiator. So, street cruisers or drag racers?
    upload_2020-11-25_7-36-34.png

Jnaki
    The Highway Patrol Emblem for Arizona looks to be the same as in the photo. Is it harassment or a vehicle safety check? The CHP in So Cal has vehicle checkpoints that do the same thing to odd looking cars that may have some illegal things...

catdad49 likes this.
  17. AmishMike

AmishMike

Nasty comments about “copper” only leads to hate from the cops. Better to maintain decent relations so we can stay on the roads. Recent letter in newspaper called for outlawing all exhaust mods. Fun to be loud but many do not like it. Now, cool looking roadster would love to see more & where is it now?

18. Sluggo57

Sluggo57
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan said;Pretty rad, right? These teenage hoods got themselves in trouble and then show up for their punishment in the uniform of a hoodlum while driving the very car that more than likely was the source of all the trouble to begin with. Bravado gentlemen…

And possibly in front of the "beer" store it started at, hahaha, hoodlums, hot rods and beer. Some things never change.

Deuces likes this.
  19. My youngest son (now 42) got to drive my '61 Belair post powered by a 468 BBC to breakfast with me shortly after he got his license. He did good and got the spin the tires on that puppy out of his system. '61 '02.JPG

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Nasty comments about cops? Geesh... again, that’s a joke... but also, I don’t drive the speed limit. I do burnouts. I drive a hot rod as it was intended to be driven - like a hoodlum. As such, it’s a cat and mouse game. Hot rods, by their very nature, do not conform to law and order fellas...

If you are uncomfortable with that, you are doing it wrong. :)

21. Jeebus! Some of you guys. How many in law enforcement would even know what "copper" meant? Unless they watched a lot of classic movies. Bunch of fuckin Karens anymore.

The hunched back sure does look like Hines

And LilT is racking up the miles here at 13. He can get his learners permit at 14. By that age I had logged thousands of miles on I90, I think my dad enjoyed someone else to be able to drive on our thrice annual 400 miles trips to see family. T also just passed his hunter safety class, every bit as cool as a drivers license here.

22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: That cop ain`t too smart about safely carrying his revolver either.Safety strap not over weapon.Wrapped in front of holster.Real easy way to lose his weapon.Piss poor training by his dept.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I wonder how many people would sign up for the police force if they still had to carry revolvers. semi autos were made as early as 1894, the 1911 came out it, get this, 1911.

look at the wimpy mustache on the cop. looks like a 3rd eyebrow.

images.jpg

24. NoSurf

NoSurf

I love the HAMB.

I always have, and always will.

Deuces, Baumi, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  25. [​IMG]
    same posture here, Bill Hines far right.
    Cool picture, Ryan.

Jungle Jalopy, Deuces, Baumi and 5 others like this.
  26. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those are the oldest looking "teens" I've ever seen. Maybe people just aged faster back then?

Jungle Jalopy and 40two like this.
  27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- can tell by cigar in his shirt pocket - Ha!

28. adam401

adam401

Narc

Kidding

29. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

"Juvenile Farms" and "Attitude Schools"... How do you think that idea would fly these days???

Jungle Jalopy, rpm56 and Deuces like this.
  30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

"Bunch of Karens" is right!