Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you plan on driving your hot rod or custom on Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 22, 2020.

1. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

At the time we did have our 2nd 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, we took it everywhere. When my wife’s side of the family had a big Thanksgiving Dinner, we drove the sedan delivery, as it had A/C. You can’t arrive at a family function without having A/C blasting along with the tunes, to get in the right frame of mind. In that side of the family, it was a necessity.
    upload_2020-11-24_4-24-31.png
    When we pulled up to the driveway, there were a lot of other cars just parking on the street. We were the only vehicle parking on the driveway, which drew oddball stares at us and the hot rod. It was just classic, a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery in the middle of a bunch of USA 4 door sedans and other station wagons. It stood out quite well with the simple black rims and bright red/orange paint.

Of course, the people who saw it for the first time wondered if the plumber was invited, whereas others thought the turkey fixings were being delivered by the local market. When my wife and I got out, people looked and said, “OH, its them…” obviously we had the reputation of being outside the “circle” as we only attend certain mandatory family events.
    upload_2020-11-24_4-26-38.png

Jnaki

Actually, the back of the sedan delivery had a tarp and a box with the 2nd turkey and fixings, so “those” original thoughts weren’t too far off. At least we had to strap down the box holding the turkey and fixings. A safety belt for securing dinner… what a concept.

This year will be an odd ball event with the locked in place and curfew taking place all over So Cal. The itinerary will be decided when it is actually the day before. Microsoft Team App is available for friends and family to show friendly faces. There is always Facetime for Apple folks and the ever popular Zoom computer feature. The last one can be put on the big screen TV for a huge photo array while talking. Maybe not the best, but it is available. YRMV

But, so far, everyone is not having a big family gathering in our neck of the woods. On to the rest of the holiday season and a better, 2021…

2. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Hope everyone has good and safe holiday. With the rise in the virus we are staying home.

3. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

yep here in the phoenix area there is a early cruse to the top of south mountain last year there were about 100 cars

3W JOHN, Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Hey Tman, congrats on the marriage.

HOTRODPRIMER, Deuces and Tman like this.
  5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Maybe, if I get over this golf ball sized bleeding hemorrhoid. Right now sitting on a plywood seat with 2" of suspension travel isn't in the cards.

But thanks for asking!

6. Thanks!

7. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopefully the weather will be decent here in Iowa so my 86 YO FIL and MIL will be at our house for Turkey Day. He asked me if the 38 has a heater so our plans are to take a drive "somewhere":) He'd been following the trials and tribulations of the brake issues I had and since he has ridden in the Studebaker earlier this year I think he'd prefer the old Chevy. He installed a Paxton/McCulloch blower on his then new 57 Ford so he is my kind of car guy:)
    EDIT..............Max, my father in law did about an hour cruise around Council Bluffs in my 38 Chevy. We had a good day as well as a great meal. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  8. And she digs cars. Simple meal planned for us and maybe catch some live music later in the weekend. 1020.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

MO_JUNK, Boryca, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  9. 3W JOHN, jim32 and Deuces like this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. Tman she likes cars and looks like she likes you. I would never go any farther than the shop and spend way too much time at home my friend.

You done good. :cool: [​IMG]

Deuces, Boryca, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  12. No worries. She would love something old to drive. Liked a 32 5W I showed her last night

Deuces, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. Now that's a classy gal that knows a cool car when see see's it! HRP

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Deuces and 3W JOHN like this.
  14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Gee! who wouldn’t like a 32 5 window?

15. LOL my lady would love a deuce too. She may get lucky and land a '60s era Biscayne. :D

16. Yes, she has good taste!

Since I am after a 60 Elco or wagon that is probably closer to what he will get.

17. Budget36

Budget36

I’m an opened minded guy, and do want to say congratulations, but who wears the pants in the family?

I know it was a typo, I couldn’t resist;)

18. Missed the typo
    Funny, but the HE is actually pretty true. Lavin would rather drive our Subie with AWD since she hates winter driving. That will leave me with the 51 GMC or a 60 if I can find one!

19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Deuces, Tman and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-11-25_4-22-57.png
    A So Cal tradition since 1949

Hello,

For all of you So Cal guys/girls, if you are anywhere near Long Beach, a side trip you might want to take on Thanksgiving Night or any time after dark on any night. It has been a traditional event from Thanksgiving night all the way to New Year's Day. It would be a great topper for any road trip during the pandemic. It has been a classic display of lights that puzzled most, as we all grew up knowing water and electricity don’t mix. But during the teenage years of cruising the Alamitos Bay’s original floating Christmas lighted tree area always brought rewards during those times.
    upload_2020-11-25_4-25-50.png
    A view to the setting sun and the ocean. Alamitos Bay in Belmont Shore, Long Beach.

When our son was very little, we made the trek from the OC to Alamitos Bay in Long Beach. At the time, that was the only place that had the trees on the water. Our toddler son was so impressed at seeing those floating trees in the water. But, since those long time ago days of being a teenager cruising in our hot rods and sedans, the trees have grown in numbers. They became newly constructed and spread out over most of the waterways in the whole Long Beach harbor, lakes, as well as water areas in parks.

Jnaki

One can see all of the newish displays all over Long Beach, but the original at the Second Street Bridge and the Bayshore Drive is still one for the books. At sunset, in the late night hours, or just driving over the bridge, they create a great way to enjoy holiday season, even during the pandemic. A little light to brighten up any sky or sightline.

When my wife was living in a small ocean front apartment on the Peninsula during college, walking down the shoreline of the bay was always a fabulous thing. But, these days, with the pandemic curfew, from sunset to 10 p.m. is the best time to go see the nightly show. Bundle up as it gets cold near the water.

Stay safe
    floating Christmas trees of Long Beach

This should also be noted for the “A Cool Roadside Attraction” thread that hits a lot of places in So Cal and elsewhere.

21. Having had two 5 window coupes, a 3 window,2 fordors and 2 sedan's, I really like the sedans better, there is a lot more leg room for a tall guy like me. HRP

Deuces likes this.
  22. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

We are staying home alone. Tomorrow is predicted to be dry and our best day of the week. I am planning a little drive. HRP, enjoy your picnic. That's such a great alternative during these trying times.

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Boryca076300-R1-036-16A.jpg Congrats on getting hitched @Tman! Way more fun when they're amenable to our old car habits.

I'm headed up to Traverse City for the weekend, though not Thanksgiving, planning on taking the '35. I had to make the decision on heater over radio, but hell, my own young bride (1yr this past Oct.) even says she likes how "Gramps" sounds cruising the highways.

24. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'm thinking that since the weather looks good for Thanksgiving day I'll take the 40 for an afternoon spin?

HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  25. Congrats and thanks!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Gnater

Gnater

I drove my OT hot rod today on a shakedown run. Last time it moved under its own power was 1986. I hauled it home exactly one year ago, inherited from my dad who made a living restoring classics of all eras.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. Snow here yesterday; it's gone today with steady rain at 41F...not looking good for a turkey run.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Still want to meet in Clemson?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Weather looks promising here in northern Oregon, so hell yes the wife and I are going for a drive. Maybe the last of the year for us.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes, I see the weather guessers changed their forecast for Portland, so I'll get one of mine out. Wife's new washer is being delivered Friday anyway, and have to move my Austin gasser to give them a straight shot through the garage and into the house. So once the delivery is done I better make sure to warm it up good before putting it back!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.