Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Norms Monza specs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61SuperMonza, Nov 19, 2020.

1. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

It's true that a blow through set up will get up on boost in every gear but it takes away from the classic look I am going for.
    The other issue is that with that set up your max boost level is no more than 14 lbs. After that detonation will hit and hit hard. With the original draw through set up you can run boost levels up to 18 or more for limited blasts with a modded turbo and a larger carb. When playing in this realm water/meth injection and a fully sorted ignition system is a must. My dizzy has been recurved and has a Dale adv/ret canister. When I have all the parts for the Stromberg WW upgrade I may add a fully programmable ign. I want all the new tech parts to be hidden so I am thinking of going with a CB performance Black Box. You just use a locked out stock dist and let the 3D map you input control the timing. I need more time to research a proper map before I attempt this mod.
    On a final note if I could find an original Bill Thomas blow through manifold it would work with the theme of my build.
    I'm currently running a
    Crane cams XR 700 optical trigger. Works better on turbo cars than the ignitor in turbo cars.

2. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

That sounds like a great build project. With the 94mm VW jugs I believe you will have 3.1 litres. That with 140 heads to help breathing should be great. I would recommend having angled and enlarged exhaust tubes installed in the heads with deep seats. If you go this route talk to a reputable corvair engine builder for your exact needs. A build like that is going to be some big bucks so be prepared for that.
    If you want to supercharge it I wouldn't go big bore, just have the 140 heads reworked. My father had a Judson supercharger on his 61 Monza with headers and trombone dual exhaust and loved the sound it made but boost was only around 3-4 lbs.(good for passing speeds). If you can find a Paxson supercharger, it will provide much better performance. The kicker is I'm not sure how they will perform with a PG, as I've only done performance mods on 4spd cars.

1Nimrod, bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  3. Guthrie1068

Guthrie1068

4. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Guthrie1068,
    Your ragtop is sweet. The stance is great. I have seen some of your posts on CF and CCF. Good stuff.
    NORM

5. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Moose just photoshopped some 5 spoke Hollywood Barela wheels on the Monza and it looks pretty sweet. I may have to convert to five lug wheels.
    I have a complete LM crossmember and suspension complete. I could redrill the rear or use Rampside axle and brakes.
    I need to stop thinking of new updates to the car. Never enough time.

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hey 61,

There is no need to do an axle lug bolt change. There are plenty of original 4 spoke wheels to be found with a little research. Those 4 spoke mag wheels were popular on Corvairs and other small 4 bolt wheel cars back then. We just did not have the cash buy the nice 4 spoke wheels for our light blue Corvair.
    upload_2020-11-24_5-29-4.png
    Here is a drawing I did for your new look. As you know, we like Corvairs, despite what anyone else thinks. So, a few modifications to my old drawing looks better. The lines go quite well with the 4 spoke wheels. The 5 spoke wheels are overpowering, plus you need to change over for more cost that will not improve the look as much as a simple 4 spoke wheel set. As far as the whitewalls are concerned, blackwalls and the 4 spoke wheels make your yellow Corvair aggressive and stylish. Those 4 spokes plus blackwalls match the powerful motor that is inside.

People did put on those cone outside rear view mirrors, but the stock look was much better looking. The cones looked out of place on the clean Corvair design.

Jnaki
    It seems like with the powerful motor you have, you are still looking for the final look. Your Corvair, to me, is a cool looking, fast car and should NOT have accessories to make it look like a mild custom car. But, that is your choice. YRMV

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    41 GMC K-18 and bchctybob like this.
  7. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I hear what your saying, and I love the look of the car with the Ansen Sprints. I just need to get center caps.
    The reason the Hollywood wheels were on my mind is because my dad had them on his 64 Spyder convert. As mentioned they were the 4 spoke wheel and apparently are ultra rare.
    The other 4 lug wheel that I like on EM cars are the Hands wheel(LAT 70). I'm always looking for the perfect wheel/tire combo.

8. bchctybob

bchctybob

I had a full set of Hands wheels on my '60 Falcon years ago, wish I still had it. No one knew what they were.
    Yep, our plan is either/or; big bore or supercharger. My experience with belt driven blowers so far is that they really kick up the power right at the first tip of the throttle. ( I have a blown SBC in my Austin A40) I fell like that is exactly what our PG equipped coupe needs.
    Have you looked into converting the rear suspension to the '65-up IRS? I have two complete later model 4 spd rears and I keep looking at them and going - Hmmmm.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Mickey Thompson also made a 4 spoke wheel which might be what your dad used. I can't remember where your other picture was to look again. There were 3 of them on ebay a while back, don't know if they ever sold or not. The picture is a Falcon but they are the same bolt pattern and part number in the catalog. 20201124_090527.jpg

mgtstumpy, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  10. Ok i found the original picture in another post. So they don't look like the M/T and have more of a Torq Thrust spoke 20190601_192250.jpg

11. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

The Hands wheels would give the car that Fitch Sprint look, witch is very cool. I think that Sunbeam Specialties has reproductions as they were on many Tigers.
    I would look into the big bore engine. Check out American Pi and American Flat 6. These guys can do all the machine work needed for a build of this scope. You could even install a roller cam with custom grind. Levair Performance, Steve Goodman, and Ken Hand are others that could help with a build like this.
    As far as the LM rear suspension upgrade is concerned, I don't feel that the amount of work to install it would be worth it.
    If I were to get into fab work on the rear suspension I would start with these items.
    Custom springs(shortened with stock spec)
    Make mounts for limiting springs with adjustability.
    Make motor mount and mod trans crossmember to raise engine and transaxle to compensate for the lowered springs.
    I would also install the LM front suspension because of its adjustability.
    This set up would handle with any LM
    IMO

1Nimrod and bchctybob like this.
  12. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I like the M/T 4 spokes. They are very similar to what dad had on his car and I will probably never find a set of Hollywood Barela 4 spokes. I should see if Moose can do another Photoshop rendering with the M/T wheels. Finding the right wheel/tire package is always a challenge. It can make or break your ride.

1Nimrod, bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

In 1966/67 my grade school pal had an older brother with a BRG Tiger with Hands wheels.
    The car was strikingly beautiful.

bchctybob likes this.
  14. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
    With everything going on in 2020 it's been great to be a new member of the HAMB. I have really enjoyed sharing info about my ride with all of you. Look forward to more.

15. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Sweeett Corvair... I miss driving my little blue around I sold it year's ago. My first grandchild the year 2007 "Bobcat" in the picture behind the wheel of "His Corvette" as he still calls it to this day. They are nice little car's my wife and children always enjoyed riding around in the summer time in our little blue. You have done wonder's with your Corvair have fun driving it my friend.

1Nimrod IMG_20201126_171311187.jpg

16. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Red Lines on the four spokes would look great with the yellow paint on the Corvair just my thoughts.
    I've always liked the Corvair my older sister had a 65 or 66 Monza 2+2 4 speed. Factory White with Red interior. I was about 14 years old and always had fun riding around in her Corvair.

1Nimrod

bchctybob, loudbang and jnaki like this.
  17. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

My first car was a 66 Monza coupe with a 110/PG. It was also white with red interior. Not a powerhouse but is sure was a looker. I drove the wheels of that puppy and it handled great. I put over 300,000 miles on it and it still ran well when I sold it. The rust was taking over.
    Good memories in that car.
    NORM

bchctybob, loudbang and 1Nimrod like this.
  18. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Our little blue was a PG 110 with those two small carbs and the fan and heat inside still worked and the vents out back still worked after all those years. We must of been at least the fifth or more owner of little blue not really sure on that.
    It made people scratch there heads bcuz it had no Park on that little PG tranny so many "mechanics" argued with me that GM never made a PG tranny with out Park. I think most of them "mechanics" was just to young to know about those early PG tranny's with no Park lol...
    It's great you are doing a build in remembrance of your Dad and his little Race Corvair. That was a cool little Corvair your Dad had and it must of been exciting for him that day taking out 13 other Race Cars 13.2 in the 1/4 mile would be plenty fast enough for me. Thank You for sharing the story of your Dad's Hot Rod and yours as well. Keep us all posted on your build and remember it's about having fun and keeping those memories alive of your Dad and his Corvair and someday your children well have their stories to share about you and your Corvair to other's...
    Thank you my friend.

1Nimrod

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  19. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Hey guys,
    Moose did another Photoshop with the Vair. This time just lowered the front a bit with the rear back to it's normal ride height. I went with the M/T 4 spoke with black wall tires.
    jnaki thanks for the tip. It really looks the part. BAD ASS

1Nimrod likes this.
  20. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Alright the next topic is the brake system.
    I went through and replaced the entire system. I didn't do alot of modifications to the system.
    First, new master cylinder(clutch/brake peddle assembly rebuilt)
    All the hard lines replaced
    All rubber lines replaced.
    New wheel cylinders(larger bore in front)
    All springs and hardware replaced.
    Drums turned
    The best part NOS sintered metallic linings. This was the reason for the larger bore wheel cylinders. The linings really work well.
    The reason I didn't go with disk is because of a few factors.
    First is a big difference in unsprung weight.
    Second is I like to run 13" wheels and a disk set up that would be an upgrade would require a minimum of 14" wheels.
    Third is on a rear engine car the majority of your braking is applied through the rear wheels and currently you would have to fab everything up.
    I have driven a Corvair with a front disc conversion and my car stops better with much better pedal feel. The only benefit is lower maintenance to combat pulling when the shoes need adjustment. The 61 doesn't have self adjusting brakes.

bchctybob likes this.
  21. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I have a line on some NOS drums.
    Thinking of drilling them. Any thoughts?

22. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

It's been awhile since I added to this thread.
    I have done some research about the Stromberg WW mod on the Spyder motor.
    What I found out was all positive with one exception. There is very little clearance for an air filter assembly. Most guys run a mesh screen. I'm not sure I like that set up.
    The performance reports were off the charts. Good idle quality, boost in every gear, and a substantial power increase. Able to break the tires loose on throttle.
    I'm looking for the carb now, shouldn't be to difficult. I am going to rebuild it, as I will need to re jet anyway.
    I have a question as to where I can get the jet removal tool for a Stromberg WW as well as jets.
    This mod is going to really up the boost potential. Should be a to get a solid 18PSI boost pressure.
    I think the old school look and performance of this upgrade will suit the Monza perfectly.
    NORM

bchctybob likes this.
  23. Neat little ride!
    Hope you get good heat from that engine all the way in the back. Your daily high temps are like our nightly lows.
    You made mention of a Moon tank, for the methanol injection?

61SuperMonza likes this.
  24. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Norm, I just came a cross this thread. Your Corvair is a beauty, and at 200hp this thing should be able to surprise quite a few 70s 911s. This summer a friend showed me how to drive and handle a sporty rear engine car and he let me do that driving his 88 911 and there surely are quite a few differences to a front engine rwd car... It was fun , because once you understand how it works, it´s pretty cool. I suspect the average driver back then didn´t understand the physics behind a rear engine rwd car and let off the gas or stepped on the clutch when the rear started to get loose, because that´s what saves them usually. I was told to not do that , just to stay on and ride it out, because letting off the gas would shift load and traction from the rear wheels to the fronts which can send you in the ditch while you are sideways... I learned to avoid to shift loads while changing directions...
    Have fun!!!

kidcampbell71 and 61SuperMonza like this.
  25. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

The Moon tank is an oil puke tank. The block/case in this engine is quite small and running at high RPM can cause oil to blow past seals, oil filler cap and dipstick tube.
    Connecting 10AN lines from the valve covers to a puke tank with a breather will eliminate that pressure in the block.
    It's a trick that has been used for years on high performance Corvair motors.
    I don't drive the car in conditions when I need much heat but the heater works very well. The cooler summer temps are great for an air cooled turbo motor. Lots of boost to be had without worry of cooking the motor.
    NORM

chevy57dude and bchctybob like this.
  26. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Funny you mentioned a Porsche. This past summer I was out for a drive on the highway and a beautiful 912 sprinted up behind me. He then switched lanes and pulled up on my side. Gave me a thumbs up and gave it all he had and started past me. I gave him a second and stomped on the throttle. I left him like he was going backwards. The look on his face was priceless.
    As they say slow in fast out and when in doubt make it shout.
    NORM

27. Thanks for sharing the details of your build. I am trying to learn all I can and it helps! Great car!

kidcampbell71, 61SuperMonza and Baumi like this.
  28. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Norm , that doesn´t surprise me AT ALL! I was driving my 65 Riviera when my buddy in his 73 911 showed up in my rearview mirror and if you know our country roads they are pretty curvy with just some straight strechtes in between. I beat on my Rivi ( on bias plays) like there was no tomorrow and he got smaller in the rear view mirror. Later on we met at my place and he was surprised that this old Yank Tank gave his 911 fits. I bet he would have been faster around the corners but I was first at the corners and first out and he had no chance to catch me on he straights, hahahaha
    That´s just one thing I love about old American cars, they are highly underrated. Once my neighbor said he wouldn´t drive an American car because his loves his fast beamers. I told him to get in my M3 and I´ll take my 56 Chevy and I´ll bet I´d be faster . My M3 ´s 321 hp weren´t enough to touch that 327cui in the 56 on bias blys , we tried it a second and a third time and he always lost ( in my Beamer of course) . German engineering, my a**, hahahhaa
    They may build well handling cars here , but they always forget to build in the "oooomph" the American ones have, haha

29. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

The reasons you mentioned were all reasons I have always liked the Corvair.
    Clearly the Vair was inspired buy a German auto. The difference is it was done as only an American manufacturer could. Bigger, more comfortable, and more power.
    The irony here is the EM Corvair styling inspired more European design's than any car I can think of.
    NSU,Giha,BMW, just to name a few all had that belt line styling language. The Corvair really did have a impact in the car world that isn't normally recognized.
    The Monza and Spyder/Corsa created the market for the OT V8 sport coupes that would come in the future.

kidcampbell71 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  30. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Norm you are certainly correct! The BMW neue Klasse or the 1502-2002 , the NSU Prinz surely were influenzed by the Corvair´s styling.IMO the corvair is more classy because it is rounder and still more 50s influenced than lets say the 2002 BMW that hasn´t a flow as nice as the corvairs and the greenhouse was always too high on those cars.

61SuperMonza likes this.