Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buggy springs and 4 bar suspensions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ThosD, Aug 15, 2020.

1. ThosD

ThosD

Contemplating a Model A build, sbc with buggy springs and tube shocks. Looking at rear 4 bar suspension, but don't like the way the parallel 4 bars hang so low. With buggy springs, is 4 bar really needed? How 'bout traction bars with heim joints, much like split wishbones? Or, would there be binding of the linkages if buggy springs used with a triangulated 4 bar system?

2. paj-6011b_xl.jpg You can always use the ladder bars, I used the Pete & Jack set up on my 1932 Ford pickup with a transverse rear spring, HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Since mine will be raced, I built these out of lightweight 4130 Chromoly. IMG_4666.JPG

grumpy32, bymanr, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

I don't think 4 bar is necessary for a buggy spring.

@Marty Strode those look really nice.

I went with something similar; ladder bars and a panhard bar:

Model A Hot Rod Chassis.jpg Model A Competition Chassis 2.jpg Ladder Bar Completed.jpg Ladder Bar Front Mount  2 - Model A Ford Chassis.jpg Ladder Bar Model A Coupe.jpg Panhard Bar Bracket Model A Chassis.jpg Panhard Bar Model A Chassis 2.jpg Panhard Bar Model A Chassis.jpg

This was being built knowing/accepting there'd be bind. There's so little travel, that we just did our best to make the old-style work as best as we could.

Ned Ludd, bchctybob, AHotRod and 2 others like this.
  6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have done a few customer requested triangulated 4 bar setups with buggy springs, seems to work good.

bchctybob, prpmmp and AHotRod like this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Brent, we plan on torturing the rear tires, so we need more substantial bars, than the over the counter parts. Your setup looks plenty husky !

AHotRod and -Brent- like this.
  8. I have split wishbones on a 9" Ford axle with the stock transverse spring on my '35 Ford pick up. It has held up well behind the Nailhead for 40 years.

deucemac and AHotRod like this.
  9. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the answer to your question is, yes, a triangulated 4 link can be used with a transverse spring if it's planed correctly and in an application with not a lot of suspension travel. I have such a setup in my roadster. The rear crossmember is flat and the rear spring is a '40 front spring. The top link mounts attach to the 9" centered housing at the transition of the axle tube and center swell. The spring length and the link placement are such that within normal suspension travel there is no significant binding. I did it because I wanted a low profile frame. In your case with the crossmember you have I would just use something like the P&J ladder bars and be done with it. It's a better match with the rest of your project.

10. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Is there room for jamb nuts on your ladders bars ?

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yes. That was during set up. They've been trimmed and nuts installed. Didn't want to make them too short (like the first attempt).

12. R Jays makes a killer set up and the best price hands down. I’m on my second set to put in my 39 this fall. Very high quality. There are pictures of them in my build thread below.

Just Gary likes this.
  13. ThosD

ThosD

Thanks for all of the helpful info.

14. prpmmp

prpmmp

Hey krylon32 ! Do you remember any specs on this setup?(spring,crossmember,shocks) Thanks Pete

15. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

4 bars are for street rods ,!! Radius rods or ladder bars (adjustable is good) for hot rods

prpmmp likes this.
  16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

buddy sets the 4 bar up under the frame a bit... made them a little longer than most...
    he slides a section of wishbone over the lower bar...
    upper bar is out of site...
    profile looks like split wishbones... HIH.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  17. bchctybob

bchctybob

I made my own 4 link set up with a '32 cross spring for my '32 5w back when they weren't readily available and I made it much higher up in the chassis so it didn't hang down. It worked fine. I had been studying the Alston drag race chassis setup book so I had a lot ideas and lots of holes to play with the IC, never did any adjusting though.
    The easiest way these days is to just use the P&J or Rjays ladder bars and brackets and move on.
    Brent, I like the double shear bracket you guys made for your Panhard bar on the rear end. Cool.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In any case, if you plan on driving on the street, your ladder bars need to come as close together as possible at the leading end.

If you do not do this, you will not have suspension articulation, as you will have created a giant swingarm.

Worse, when the front suspension allows body roll, the inner rear tire will lift in a corner, and you risk oversteering right into the ditch. Your outcome may vary, but probably will not be good.

This is known science. Pete and Jakes sells them like that for a reason, and that reason is sound.

Ned Ludd, -Brent- and X38 like this.
  19. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I built my own ladder bar rear and 4 bar front , buggy spring both ends . Some people say the 4 bar is late model , will so is the Chebbie riding the rails in most of them also . Not many 265 or 283 cubes in there is there really . The bars work fine and P&J sells tried and true Hot Rodder designed stuff .

20. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's good that you realize there will be bind on uneven, undulating pavement. The Pete N Jake's and other ladder bar setups design the attachment points at frame very close together and bind is all but eliminated. Those are beautiful welds on that A frame.

21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, I'm glad to hear this, tub1. So I DO have a hotrod ! I'll never tell a single swinging d$$k about my 700R4, Vintage Air ac/heat, or seat heaters. LOL.

22. prpmmp

prpmmp

Aw Man!! Thats what I got!! (streetrod) Pete 0111201341b.jpg

23. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

I used a set from R Jay's also. They make some really nice parts.