Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 powerglide slipping bad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flying53gmc, Nov 22, 2020.

1. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

I bought a 50 bel air a few months back that has the first year powerglide In it. It slips so bad it’s gotten undrivable. I have stuff to convert it to 3 speed column or s10 5 speed but I’m not looking to tear this car apart right now. Too many others torn apart. Is there any quick fix for the powerglide? How do I know if it’s the pump or the clutches?

Attached Files:

2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I bet it just needs rebuilt. Old age. It would still be cheaper to rebuild it than change the whole thing over to something else. Lippy

3. oldsman41

oldsman41

You might be able to find a newer one on e pay ready to go for cheap

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I would get a shop manual and adjust the bands before abandoning ship on it.....

ottoman, dana barlow and porknbeaner like this.

5. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

after checking adjustments, pull the pan and take a peek , then decide.

6. TCTND

TCTND

"slip and slide with powerglide"

7. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Ahhh the ol Powerslide, if they aint slipping they aint working at all.

8. jaracer

jaracer

If I remember right, the first Powerglide started in high gear and stayed there. They didn't start shifting from low to high until 53. The only way you could get low was by putting in low. That pretty much means that either the high clutch is shot, or the pump. If it will move when you put it in low or reverse, that means the pump is working and points to the clutch. If it doesn't in any range, that points to the pump. It could be a convertor problem like stripped turbine splines, but the trans has probably had it. It might be able to be rebuilt, but it probably wouldn't be cost effective.

wvenfield likes this.
  9. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

Dad loved to exaggerate, but he swore he was telling the truth: his boss back in the early 60's had an early Powerglide & from a stop you could walk faster than it could accelerate.

61Cruiser and jaracer like this.
  10. I’m not sure about Powerglides...but know I am able to soften up the seals in my 56 Fordomatic by pouring a pint of Berryman’s B12 in it about once a year. If I don’t do that, it slips so bad it takes probably 5 miles before it will even catch all 3 gears. If you think it is mostly shot, might be worth a try just to see if it happens to work. Apparently it used to say it could be used in transmissions years ago but that isn’t there now considering many of the more modern transmission designs.

11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Do the 3 speed conversion. The '50-'52 Powerglides were a cruel joke ....

irishsteve likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd try adjusting the bands first and see if that helped enough. I'm thinking that unless you rebuild it yourself or can find someone that will bench it pretty reasonable you are looking at way more to rebuild it than swap transmissions for a stick of one sort or another.

If you aren't goin to use the closed drive and a matching trans you are going to need a 55/62 235 bellhousing to match the later pattern transmissions though. Or figure out how to adapt the later trans to the small pattern bellhousing.

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

You can adjust the cast iron Powerglide low band "externally"; the reverse band needs to be adjusted after removing the side cover to access it; it's only adjustable "internally". If the direct clutches are shot, it's going to have to come out for a rebuild. There is no "pan" on a cast iron Powerglide. If the seals are hard, use a can of Trans-Medic, or something similar, to swell up the lip seals so they seal better; it's only a temporary fix however. Like has been said, swap to a 3 speed manual, and if you need a floor shifter for a 49-54 Chevrolet passenger car, I have both a Hurst Mystery shifter and a Hurst Synchro-Loc shifter; they are really hard to find, and they are no longer made. One is NOS, but I forget which one; I "think" it's the Synchro-Loc. Don't even consider one of the cheap (cheaply built but actually fairly expensive) shifters, like Mr. Gaskets universal or National Chevy Associations shifter; they are garbage. I still wonder how they came up with the name, "Powerglide"? POWER-GLIDE, really??? Maybe only the aluminum ones, and then only when modified! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

Thanks for all the replies! It slips some in low gear but when I shift to high it’s really bad. I was hoping to be able to tighten bands up but it sounds like that’s just for low gear?

15. We used to save 'em this way ^^^

I am not sure if it will work today, chances are good that if you find one in a car that old it is wore slap out but it is worth a try.

I would do this then if it did not work I would swap in the 3 gear. A cast iron power slip is just not a very desirable tranny.

Moriarity likes this.
  16. jaracer

jaracer

Low gear uses the band, high gear the clutch. Adjusting the band won't help high gear.

17. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

A couple of things regarding the 1st gen cast iron glide:
    1) It uses a 5 member torque converter, much like Dynaflows. This may have gone south.
    2) This transmission has a rear pump. If you get up to 25mph or higher, does it still slip? If it does, then
    the converter may be the problem. (In Low gear, the slippage is less pronounced due to the gear reduction.) But if it does not slip, then the front pump may be bad.
    3) A pressure gauge attached to the main line pressure tap would tell you if your front pump is defective.

18. v8flat44

v8flat44

There is a guy in Ohio that builds "glides" for drag cars......

19. getow

getow

Couple things. 1st. I have one out of a 51 which was my parts car. $50 Cherry fluid, with torque converter. Im in Pa tho. 2nd. Since your car is a powerglide car, it should have 3.55s instead of 4.11s which is atad bit better with a 3speed an highway speed. I put a 3.55 in mine. Made a difference. Still running 3 speed also. 3rd. And very important. Powerglide and 3gear dont use da same brake master cylinder. So you will need to deal with that also. In da long run, if you were considering a t5,nows da time.. But you will have to deal with putting an open drive rear diff in also. Just food for thought.