Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest WE ALL HAVE A DREAM

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 21, 2020.

1. My problem is i want the same cars most other people want $$$$ and i have no exceptional talents. I should probably be happy with the ones i already have!:D

61Cruiser, dan31 and LOU WELLS like this.
  2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Its taken 57.5 years to get my dream together....... and I am still dreaming.

IMG_E2258.jpg

Oldb, alfin32, 57JoeFoMoPar and 12 others like this.
  3. I had a paper route and on that route was a 1956 Ford f100 truck in a one car garage. No garage door and the truck took up the entire space. I'd walk by it every week and start dreaming. So much so that I started clipping out ads from the autotrader and put them in a spiral book. Funny thing is, I still have the clippings and spiral book but have never owned a 56 f100. I've owned plenty of other rides. Maybe one day. View attachment 4884701 20201122_133049.jpeg 20201122_133058.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I enjoy what I have but got a rough 40 ford coupe about 10 years ago. I put a rebuilt flathead in it a couple of years ago. Don't know if or when it will get finished because of health, but STILL DREAMING! I always did like 33-34 Fords. Maybe when I win the lottery.

61Cruiser, Elcohaulic and Deuces like this.
  5. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Supposed to have been my first car at 15 (1987). Got hosed on the deal and many many cars and years later, 28 to be exact, bought it. Still accumulating parts but I will build it. Will be my last build, when it's done, I'll be done.

Attached Files:

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've had a couple of dream cars. Back in high school I owned a 1940 Chev coupe. (1968) And I had bought the neighbor's wrecked Chrysler Imperial and put the 413, Torqflite, and rear axle in my coupe. I always wanted to find a 1939 nose, as I loved that year grille a lot more. I sold the '40 to a friend after I got home from the military, and never did get the '39.....until April of 2019. It's still "in progress", but getting closer!

[​IMG]

And my friend still has the '40Chev coupe I sold him in 1971!
    [​IMG]

But I've owned gassers, and been a fan of them since before I could even drive! And I always wanted an Austin gasser like those I watched race in the 60's! When I retired in 2010 I told myself I was going to find one, and build a gasser style car. I located my '37 Austin about 40 miles away, but for sale on Ebay! I called the owner, and made a dash out with my trailer to buy the very clean, rust free car!
    [​IMG]

Six months later I was driving it, but not finished.
    [​IMG]

Another 6 months and I blew it apart over the winter, and stripped it down to bare metal and primed it. Then had it painted metallic red, just as I wanted from first seeing it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just got this back into the shop and got to working on it again. IMG_2439.jpg

Blue One, Dave Mc, Al T and 6 others like this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

How cool is that!

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

455920_e7e559927376_low_res.jpg IMG_0824 (1).jpg

I've wanted a 1911 Hupmobile for 50 years, finally found a real good one that has been apart even longer. It will look like the red one some day. Bob

10. gene-koning

gene-koning

I must have AAD (automotive attention disorder). About every 4-5 years a new "dream" car or truck vision comes along. I've been fortunate (or stupid) enough to have been able to build each dream vision I've had, and when the next one comes along, build it and sell the old dream to cover the cost of the current dream.

These days, I must be getting content with my dream cars and trucks. The coupe has been around for several years. I had a dream for a new dream truck a couple years ago and my wife told me to keep the coupe and build the truck.

After that truck was built, I got disillusioned with it pretty quickly, I didn't fit in my dream truck very well. and a different truck became my dream. The old one sold to fund the new dream, and it is getting closer to being in the driver stage. At this point in my life, its pretty hard to say for sure, but I am having a more difficult time finding the desire to build anything. It might be such a thing that my coupe and this truck might end up being my true dream car and truck. I guess time will tell. Gene

11. Garpo

Garpo

That Austin reminds me of one that turned up at our NZ Street Rod Nats many years back. Austin 10, about '47 very tidy stock body, nice paint, interior and mag wheels, but not really catching the eye of many.
    That is, until it fronted up at the gymkhana and lit up the tires. Closer inspection revealed a V6, blower, webers and more. Handled good too.

61Cruiser, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  12. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Well a dream story , here it goes : 28 years ago I got my 32 , 3 winder . 2 months after getting it , I was told I had stage 4 cancer and a 20 % chance of surviving 5 years . So I guess I living my dream being able to enjoy the 32 and a great hobby with all of you . God Bless all of you and keep staying safe

13. trollst

trollst

A 32 five window, dressed like my 36, sexy looking thing... DSC07687.JPG

Oldb, Dave Mc, 61Cruiser and 3 others like this.
  14. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I always had a hankerin for a 32 3window, but they’ve always been out of my reach, $$ wise. About 8 years ago a 39 conv (the car in my avatar) sorta found me and I was able to buy it. So now, the dream has shifted to it. I finally dragged it from my house to my shop last year and am finally have a good start on it. I’m planning on starting a build thread soon.

61Cruiser, Elcohaulic and Deuces like this.
  15. I am lucky to have both of my main dream cars in the garage. I laid claim to my 33 pickup at a early age as its always been the perfect hot rod in my eyes. My grandfather had built it to flip like the many other 32-34 pickups he has owned, but I made this one a keeper.

33 2.jpg
    1966075_699882930095291_6397956464785920945_o.jpg

The other is Taboo, my grandfather had sold the car a year before I was born. When I was about 5ish I found a 8.5x11 framed photo of the car in a box. I was instantly hooked on the car and knew we had to have it back or build a clone of the car. We were just about to start searching for a 56 when we got the call to buy the car back and jumped on it.

Stock Racer, Oldb, 61Cruiser and 9 others like this.
  16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Cool thread. My problem is that I love them all - and want them all.. that said, I do have two that have always topped the list. I don't know how, but in the last two years, I've been fortunate enough to get my hands on both of them. The '36 is a good running and driving car, but I plan to make some changes (think very traditional custom) and the '32 was a barn dweller for many decades that I've been tinkering on as time allows, while trying to button up another car.

My top-of-the-list car, as found. It's an old hot rod with a hot flathead, chrome garnish moldings, etc. Was updated in the 70's / 80's with some goofy stuff like shag carpet and the wrong wheels, but the foundation is great. Rock solid, desert car.
    my1936.jpg

Same car, as it sits now. Wheels, tires and nose-low stance are temporary and in my opinion the best look for the car as it is now with the stock-height roof. The future holds a chop, skirts, flipper caps, etc. for a period 1940's Custom.

my363window .jpg

One year later, to the day, I found this car. It sat in pieces in the rafters of a barn for more than 50 years. I was not planning on this, it popped up and I couldn't leave it there. Extremely solid car, I got every piece of it other than the motor and decklid.

my32found.jpg

This is basically what it looks like now. I got as far as getting the chop done, then got distracted with another project that's supposed to be a "quickie".. Anyway, it will be a fun to drive hot rod when done.

my3211.jpg

They're still out there.

17. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'm a pathological dreamer. I haven't had a lot of opportunity to build stuff and so have done a lot of dreaming; and I've found that the direr my circumstances, that is, the less realistic the prospect of building something gets, the more fanciful my dreams become. Conversely, the minute there seems to be any kind of realistic prospect, my dreams very quickly get recast in more practical forms.

As such, my dreams have a history. They've grown — and periodically shrunk — over many years. If I had to declare one to be My Dream Car, it would be the '31 A I've been cultivating for around 30 years.

I've been into expensive coachbuilt cars of the '20s and '30s since I was very young, but I'd never imagined that they could have a raw, badass quality until I saw the hairy-fendered wereBugatti Stan Mott drew in Cyclops' Night Out:
    Cyclops Bugatti.jpg
    This image made a huge impression on me at the time. I think a part of my design thinking all my subsequent life has been trying to construct a coherent synthesis of this out of various sources.

Here are some of the strands I've been trying to pull together. The presence and proportions of this:
    30846f661e111c6608206e045f9461da.jpg
    with the badassness of this:
    Altered.jpg
    combined with the dynamic moves of this:
    Porsche-917-K-142301.jpg
    and the nuts-and-boltsy mechanicalness of this:
    1934-Frazer-Nash-TT-Rep-4.jpg
    and this:
    GN special.jpg
    and this:
    Ford-Elf 2.PNG
    not to mention this:
    Invicta.jpg
    all tied together with the basic architecture of this:
    1930-ford-model-a-tudor-sedan.jpg

My wife came across a recipe which called for the ingredients to be mixed together and set aside so that they could "fall in love, get married, and have many many children." In my case these ingredients have had decades to get acquainted. I'd say I can't wait to experience the result, but I've grown quite good at waiting.

18. @Ned Ludd this has to be the closest factory built car, to your description:
    Unknown.jpeg

19. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The 500K/540K was already slightly debased; slightly enclosed, obscured, curated. The earlier 630 series would have been closer. I'm not posting a pic, so as not to irritate the HAMB.

tb33anda3rd and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. upspirate

upspirate

My dream car is/was a 30-31 Model A chopped 2" channeled the height of the frame, SBC, tri-power, 4 spd. Candy blue/ white interior.
    Been acquiring parts since mid '80's.
    Have new Brookville frame, 350 ,Muncie, Hurst and Muncie shifters, new tri-power, Autometer/Moon Eye gauges, NOS steering wheel, complete chrome front end, 3.42 10 bolt rear, 5spoke wheels, baby moons as well as some flat pancake moons (wasn't sure if I wanted black steel, chrome reverse or the 5 spokes) headlights, taillights, never bought a body though.
    Decided to focus on other things instead, but haven't started liquidating this stuff yet

21. This was my dream car when i was 19 years old. Sold it for my wife's engagement ring. Good Investment, have both for 45 years.
    [​IMG]

This was my dream ride.
    [​IMG]

My wife's dream car. '77 Vette L-82 BW super T-10 4spd. Our (her) 25th wedding anniversary present. Still have it.
    [​IMG]

My current dream car '51 Henry J of 21 years with my dream ride of 45 years.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yeah, I light them up occasionally too!
    [​IMG]

Deuces, 61Cruiser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. [​IMG]

A British guy by the name of Chris Evans just so happens to own the original car from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang—no joke! It's one of six cars that were produced for the movie and is reportedly registered under "GEN 11". HRP

24. I am a former volunteer at the Crawford Auto Aviation Museum. They had one of the originals built in 1921.

Chitty 2
    Chitty 2 had a shorter wheelbase, an 18.8-litre Benz Bz.IV aero-engine and the coachwork was carried out by Bligh Brothers of Canterbury, England. It was never as successful as its predecessor, but took part in several road races, including a Sahara Desert expedition in 1922. It later became the property of the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum in Cleveland, Ohio. It is now part of the private collection of Bob Bahre at his home in Paris Hill, Maine (the former mansion of Hannibal Hamlin, Lincoln's first Vice-President).

Check out this link: chitty bang bang : definition of chitty bang bang and synonyms of chitty bang bang (English) (sensagent.com)

tb33anda3rd likes this.

25. Three of the World’s Most Collectable Cars | Barron's

Check out the video: Check out the original Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - YouTube

[​IMG]

The 1921 Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
    Ethan McNerney
    Some cars are valuable because very few were made, or they’re extraordinary examples of engineering and design. A very special few have all of that—plus a colorful history. Sometimes there’s value in a story. Here are three superlative automobiles, together with what makes them great.

1921 Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
    The inspiration for Ian Fleming’s famous children’s book, and later the hit movie, was a series of three aircraft- engined racing specials that Count Louis Zborowski, a wealthy Englishman, built in the early 1920s. Of the three, only one survives—the second Chitty—in the 75-car collection of Bob Bahre, former owner of the New Hampshire Speedway, in Paris Hill, Maine.

“In 1929, Bunty sold the car to William Hollis, a young man who remembered it terrorizing his neighborhood,” says Jeff Orwig, curator of the Bahre Collection. “The following year, the engine was rebuilt, and the car was registered for the first time. But during World War II, it was parked outside and fell into neglect.”

A neighbor took on a modest refurbishment of the car in the late 1940s, with the informal agreement that he wouldn’t own it or take it out of England. “Up to that point, it was nothing other than a local novelty,” Orwig says. “But then Fleming’s book and the movie happened, and it became a famous car.”

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Ned Ludd and tb33anda3rd like this.
  26. Mine is also a 60 Elco OR wagon.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  27. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm a 35-36 Ford guy. I have pickups mainly but since we are dreaming.....1936 Ford 3 window in 3 different formats. Taildragger (40's style) the works....skirts,grille swap etc or nose up hot rod (60's style, last but not least a flat and level, low and slow custom with no skirts. I can go in for hours.

28. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

IMG_7446 2.jpg
    Always like the look of the '64 Tempest. last year I finally got one. Really though, my dream car would have to be a '30-'31 Ford coupe or two door sedan hot rod. Not sure if I'll ever be able to get one, but one can dream.

29. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When it comes to car dreams a guy can't just have one. Here are mine: 40/41 Willys gasser - preferably a p/u. 40-47 Ford short wheel base COE. 1965 Falcon 2 door wagon like the one I had in HS. And one or two OT English sport cars. And as long as I'm dreaming how about a garage with a lift to work on them and keep them in? And one last one, a big ass deuce and 1/2.

30. school me please

Deuces likes this.