Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new military french flathead will be converted to a Hot Rod engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODSWE, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

2. ventilo

ventilo

I guess so - I'll ask Michael when he's around next time.
    Petrol UNIMOG German army surplus parts are plentiful and regularly show up on the WWW.

3. flatty_

flatty_
    from TX

thank you Ernie..

4. JoRodder

JoRodder
    from Belgium

5. Guys, i'm rebuilding my 42 Ford military truck with one of the French blocks. Cam, crank and valvetrain are in, and am just about ready to start assembling the piston & con rod sets. I'm using the French 7" con rods, but dont see any marking to indicate which way round they go! The EGGE pistons I am using, have a small arrow which I believe points to front, but what the hell do I do about the con rods? This is my first engine rebuild, and I dont wanna bugger it up.

Help!

6. Mart

Mart

I'll have to check when I get home, but I THINK that if the rods are a matching set from the same engine, the stamps for the cylinder number go towards the outside of the engine. In other words rods 1-4 would have the stamping visible from the right side and rods 5-8 would have the stampings visible from the left.

If you're using the 7" rods, this is 3-3/4" stroke, right?

I don't think the rods have drillings which would make them handed as such. I don't have any 7" rods, but do have the shorter rods from the 4" stroke engines. I'll have a look when I get home.

As you mention it's your first rebuild, you do know the ford cylinder numbering system? 1-4 on the right, 5-8 on the left. (as viewed from the driver's seat).

Mart.

BJR likes this.
  7. Hi Mart!
    Thanks for the reply. The rods are fo the French blocks, but not this particular one. I am using a 4" stroke Eagle crank, with pistons designed for the 4" stroke that still use STD length rods.

Can't see any markings on sides of rods, only some form of stamp on the cap itself. Will try to magnify that and photo tomorrow.

Yeah, I am aware of the cylinder numbering. But by misunderstanding, I managed to number total opposite of how you said. That is not a problem now that I am aware of need to remedy. The numbering served its purpose in allowing me to lap valve, and install valve sets in the sequence as marked. Now I can wipe off the numbers and correct the error. If I understand currectly, piston 1 is right side front and piston 5 is left side front?

8. Mart

Mart

Yes, as long as left is as in left hand drive.

Mart.

9. Left as from the drivers seat right ?
    -Pat

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

11. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Check your French just like the Ford 8BA rods you will see an oil hole located at the top of the big end of the rod this oil hole is used to send oil towards the cam and lifters. On the passenger side or right side of the motor the oil hole points to the front of the block. The driver side or left side the oil hole points to the rear.
    The connecting rod bearings have a hole that lines up with the hole in the top of the connecting rod. Once each revolution the oil hole in the rod aligns with the hole in the crank journal supplying a shot of oil up towards the cam.
    Ronnieroadster

12. Ah ha! That sorts it. Thankyou Gentlemen.

I have over $7500 invested in parts for this engine, and REALLY didnt want to see it fly apart on startup. I have been surprised with the lack of new parts available here in Australia. As a consequence of wanting only new parts, a fair majority of my stuff has come from USA.

13. With the information given by you good folks, I was able to make my piston sets today. Even got the rings on each piston. Little bit scary putting rings on, but didnt brake any or damage piston walls. I had expected would have to file the rings, but they did not need it. In fact most were a couple of thou over ideal. I.E: Wanted 12-13 thou, got 15-16 thou on some. Should I be worried?

I found the oil hole on con rods, that Ronnie spoke of. When viewing engine from behind (as if facing forward), pistons 1-4 have the hole facing front of engine, pistons 5-8 have the hole facing rear of the engine. The little arrow on each piston top faces front of engine, regardless of cylinder number.

Am trying to upload some photos. No luck yet!

Thanks again, guys!

14. Pistons with rings x8.jpg
    My new sets of pistons & rods.

Yay, I worked out how to post a photo.

seb fontana likes this.
  15. Mean Lean

Mean Lean

Finally my French Flathead is moving someting, my '32 Plymouth

[​IMG]

rod1 likes this.
  16. Mean Lean

Mean Lean

I am running the Flathead with the stock Zenith carb and intake which is very good on fuel what is not a bad thing overhere. Does someone know how to adjust the governor on this thing.

17. Hi Hotrodswe, what’s up with your engine ?
    Can we have some news ?

18. Braits

Braits

upload_2023-3-26_22-47-20.png

hello everyone
    here is Braits from Italy,
    I bought one of these Frenchflats last month to put on my 1932 Tudor.
    I'm very interested in the modifications needed to get it to work.
    I've already run it on the bench. with its original oil pan, carb etc .
    I would like to keep as many original components as possible, especially to save money,
    in any case, I realized that I absolutely have to get a 59a/b oil pan because the one from the franchflat is too big. but I really don't know where to look.. can anyone tell me where to found it?
    thank you all
    braits

19. Where are you in Italy, Braits ? I will be in Pienza in September ….. do you have any pics of your car you can post?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  20. Hello Braits
    The Marmon need a lot of modifications to go in a car.
    First, the rear of the block will interfer the firewall. So need to be machined.
    The intake is totally useless. Also the carburator isn’t the best.
    (I have a 59a style intake for sale if you need).
    The oil pan, oil pump. You can keep the pump (big flow) from the french one but need to replace the pick up tube. For the oil pan, you can fit a 59a but need mods. Or go with an aluminium from a Simca Cargo.
    The starter is totally different. Replace it by a 59a. Works great even in 6volt in a 12v car.
    Flywheel is also different. Same thing, 59a or Simca Cargo.
    Distributor isn’t the best also. Some guys put a modified Chevy in it.
    You can go with 8RT water pumps if you choose to run single belt.
    Crank pulley will interfer with the front cross member.

I really recommand to watch the videos on Mart’s garage on YouTube.
    He did really good jobs into mods some Marmon into 59a style.
    Very nice man and accessible !

Harold.

21. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

Like Harold said, some mods need to be done, Please also check my profile , it will help with french flathead mods

Happy to help you if needed
    regards

Pete

rod1 likes this.
  22. Braits

Braits

Hello friends!
    Thanks for your answers.
    I'm from Venice!
    Thanks for your advice, thi is a very long project. I can wait for run , for the moment I need to find the parts that must necessarily be replaced, if, as you wrote, you have some pieces that can really help me, we could have the deal. I think that unfortunately, looking for adaptable parts in Italy is useless, even if something from Simca can be found. I saw that you have to work on the back to adapt it on the firewall. That s ab hard work! I try to upload some photos of the car and the engine. it is a 1932 European. I think it was made in Cologne, Germany. but he lived most of his life inside the automobile museum in Slovenia. until they have it dismantled. thanks again.. if you have any parts to sell, tell me how to buy!

Sorry for the q 20230327_124655.jpg 20230327_124648.jpg 20230327_124644.jpg 20230327_124637.jpg 20230327_124455.jpg 20230327_124630.jpg 20230327_124451.jpg 20230327_124443.jpg 20230327_124437.jpg uality

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

24. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

I have most of the parts you are looking for to switch your French flathead truck engine to car engine. MP sent