Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration OOPS ford flathead engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flatheadjohn47, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Ordering parts from Speedway/person on the other end of the phone was an ex-machinist who had worked at speedway for years. Conversation turned to flatheads(I have over 55 years experience)with flat-motors and I was the salesman(friend of the buyer) for the French flatheads that came into Texas in the late 90’s. He asked me if I had heard of the Ford OOPS motor. I said I had never heard of them. When he was a machinist in the 90’s, he was rebuilding a motor and ordered new cam bearing as part of the package.He went to install them and found they “dropped” thru the normal bores that held the bearings. The “tunnel” was .020 LARGER than it should have been. He did some research and found Ford had mistakenly cast around 1,000 engines before discovering the OOPS. They manufactured 100 sets of .020 oversized cam bearings rather than scrapping the “mistake”. All 100 sets were purchased by Red’s Headers out of Cali and he purchased a set to complete his overhaul. He said Ford called it the OOPS motor; something I never heard of!

2. Jason Mitchell

Jason Mitchell
    from Memphis TN

Interesting. Ive never heard of this either.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If Red Hamilton did it .... it makes sense.

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Back "Inna Day" things like this happened. Another example of this was with Mopar flathead sixes in that you had to be sure of rod and main bearing sizes, as some came with undersize journals and corresponding bearing inserts to match. Sometimes it was only on some journals.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know about Fords but my old boss rebuilt a Rambler 6 for his MIL and came to find out that it had oversize cam bearings from the factory. Chased low oil pressure until he figured out the cam bearing issue. Installed a set of oversized bearings and all was good.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

learn something new every day, hopefully

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Old Henry didn't believe in letting anything go to waste. That's why parts were used until they were used up, even if they were for last years model. Over the years, I've ran across things that shouldn't be a certain year model, but were, just for that very reason....

lucas doolin likes this.
  8. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Interesting and easier to make a oversized bearing then scrap a bunch of blocks. Thats what I call “plan B “ to a oops

9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

10. 5window

5window

Interesting story. I'm wondering why they only cast 100 sets of bearings for the 1000 engines?

11. saltracer219

saltracer219

The auto manufacturers regularly repaired mismachined blocks and heads. When I restored the Orange Crate Olds engine I discovered that some of the original lifter bores had been bored .020 oversize by the factory.

stillrunners and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Typo??????o_O:confused:

13. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe 100 service replacement sets, on top of the 1000?

Phil

14. I reasoned that out of a thousand or so Motors, maybe 10%or about 100 would be overhauled to make a few more miles. Don’t know for sure,just a guess!

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

BS. But what do I know.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  16. Raunchy

Raunchy

Mine were oversized. Couldn't find any replacements. So Gary McGlasson made some. Worked out fine.

stillrunners likes this.
  17. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Ford reused 1941 passenger car tail lights on 1950s panel trucks.