Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cutoff wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phat rat, Nov 22, 2020.

1. phat rat

phat rat

A question for those of you that use a cutoff wheel on a grinder. What thickness do you find that holds up the best? I just used one for the first time today but not on metal, clay tile. I was using .045 and they went south pretty quick. I don't know how long they'd last on metal so thought I ask here what's generally used

2. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

For tile you need to use water for cooling or your wheel will be used up quite quickly.
    They work fine on metal, I prefer the thinner versions.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. lemondana

lemondana
    from Lincoln NE

I found you get what you pay for. The first time I bought some wheels, I bought the more expensive ones, writing the price on each one. I was pleasantly surprised on how long they last.

4. Country Joe

Country Joe

Use the right wheel for tile. Last long time. 81VvEme0D6L.jpg

5. flatford39

flatford39

Whatever you decide on always use the correct PPE. Face shield, gloves even a welders jacket.

lemondana likes this.
  6. adam401

adam401

For tile, brick, stone, cement board, basically and masonry I dont mess with the abrasive disks. Use the metal diamond wheels. Sometimes depending on the arbor size of the tool they require an adapter washer which they come with but sometimes falls out of the packaging so check that if you buy one. They last a super long time. Like multiple jobs long time

7. Well I hate to admit it, but I have found that Harbor Freight thin cutoff wheels last a LOT longer than the triple priced Home Depot made in America (maybe, but maybe not)..don't remember the brand...

greybeard360 and Budget36 like this.
  8. High test 63

High test 63

I think i bought .040 in 10 packs at harbour freight. I think the brand name was bauder. I think they hold up fairly well for cutting metal in my shop. They seem to me to last better than the fourney brand ones i had been buying. Was pleasantly surprised.

greybeard360 likes this.
  9. phat rat

phat rat

It was a one time job, I needed to cut a piece of chimney tile . I was using what I felt was a good brand, they were DeWalt. Future use will be on metal. Thanks for the comments

10. Budget36

Budget36

I bought a pack or two of them at TS, not looking closely enough, but there was a masonry wheel, etc. in each lot. Maybe that’s your issue?