Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 52 chevy firewall

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ron marchand, Nov 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ron marchand

ron marchand

Hi guys , haven't posted in a while, just been too busy. Wanting to remove the firewall body supports in a 52 chevy. Is it not recommended? Are they really needed?

2. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Do it, I've done it, many others have done it. Don't fret at all about loosing those supports. Just do it.

3. Some guys say they are required for supports.

Lots and lots of v8 swaps with them removed and no ill effects.

4. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd cut them back as needed to clear valve covers but I'd leave the body mounts, they help with preventing flex at the windshield and firewall, in my humble opinion of course.
    At least that's my plan on my '50

5. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

You can see how I just trimmed mine back but still kept the mount and most of the supports here. Has worked well for over 30 years. Sorry for the mess...mice were busy when I took the picture a few years ago.
    701EDF83-DB6A-4CB1-9E6E-3C0138775C56.jpeg

6. RMONTY

RMONTY

Just out of curiosity, what is the reason for wanting to remove them?

7. Have to cut them to clear the V8. Some trim them some remove them. Both ways work.

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

All you need to do is remove the lower/inner part of the firewall supports; it looks silly if you remove them completely. Just enough has to be removed to clear the exhaust manifold "dumps". Plus, it's a lot of un-needed work to remove them completely. Trust me, I've actually done it; borrowed a friends plasma cutter, and it looks factory. Well it did look factory, I sold the car, and sorry I did. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. Why?

10. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have removed part of them on my 53, (I will be on my 51). I cut out the thinner section (towards the engine) to allow exhaust to clear

. 672.jpg