Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods We have seen the shifter knobs - let's see the one off, homemade or modified shifter's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 17, 2020.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

I actually bent that handle like that and had it rechromed. It was a long handle (maybe for a truck application?) The shifter mechanism was a $10 swap meet find, I bought it because it had the long bolt on handle that I thought was unusual, especially for a 3 spd shifter. The knob was right where my hand falls when sitting normally, that was how I planned the new brackets and rods. I had Dodge van bucket seats in it like Dave Shuten had in his green ‘32 sedan.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Now that is some nice work. HRP

loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  3. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I made this one up hoping that it was something Moriarity didn't have!

[​IMG]

4. Now that's funny, Mark's got all the cool toys. HRP

loudbang likes this.
  5. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks a lot HRP.
    Nice work on the wife's wagon shifter too, I can't believe she drives a 5 spd. I want to convert our 215 Buick powered Morris Minor woody to an S10 5 spd but my wife wants it to stay an automatic. We're still negotiating....

loudbang and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Here is the Z gate column shifter I made for the old truck. If you look close you can see the pin on the shift handle that fits into the the Z gate when you work it through the gears and down into low gear of the turbo 350 transmission. You slap upward once into second, and then slap it again into drive. This keeps an old man from missing a gear at the drag strip. IMG_0417.jpeg

brEad, brigrat, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

reagen, Jalopy Joker, -Brent- and 2 others like this.
  8. Now that is a slick piece, I really like the idea behind it. HRP

loudbang likes this.
  9. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

I have always been a car gal, my daddy and my granddaddy both taught me to love cars. My daddy said if I was going to drive I needed to know how to take care of my car and drive a stick but it was Danny that showed me the love of speed. Running through the gears and watching the speedometer hit 100 was better than any drug for lifting the spirit and calming the nerves.

My junior year in high school I had classes with a girl who just kept bragging about her "guys" 55 chevy, and how he was teaching her to drive it. It was a nice car and it had some serious power, but it was not that special, but she just keep on, and on, and on.... She drove it to school one morning and she just pushed my last button. I told her my "guys" car was faster, it also had some serious power.
    At lunch that day I left school and took my mustang to Danny ( he was at work) and I drove the falcon back to school. I could have probably beat her in my car but it wouldn't have had the same effect. I pulled through the parking lot and back down on to the main road in front of the school. She saw me and followed me. We lined up and she missed a gear. POOR BABY she wanted best 2 out of 3. We lined up again and I took her by over 2 car lengths. That conversation was over.
    We pulled back into the parking lot and went on to class. ten minutes or so and we were called to the office. Highway Patrol Officer was there. He said he knew it was us but he did not witness it so he couldn't do anything but he would be watching us real close from then on.
    Before I got the car back to Danny he already new what had happened. He tried to be mad but the truth was he was both proud and impressed that had learned how to handle the car and mouthy females.
    When I got home Mama was waiting on me. The school had called. She had 2 questions,"are you going to pull a stunt like that again, and do I need to tell your daddy?" No Ma'am! As I turned to walked away she asked if I out ran her? Yes Ma'am! I still love the feeling of seeing a speedometer peg out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  10. COOL STORY !^^^^^^ I taught my wife and daughters to drive manuals also. My wife was only 16 when we got married. At the time our family cars were a 69- 396/375hp Camaro a 68- 327 /350hp Vette and a stock 38 Chevy coupe. All were manuals. They were, and are Hot Rod gals too. Can't show the O.T. cars. But here's the wife checking her oil in the 38. 320.jpg Sorry No Shifter Photos ;)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  11. A little foot note to Brenda's story, The Shiftier that was in the Falcon is the same one I modified and installed in her Ranch Wagon. HRP

scott27, brEad, Jalopy Joker and 5 others like this.
  12. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

The wagon does run good but not near as strong as the Falcon but then again Gene Cromer didn't do the engine work on the wagon.

13. bchctybob

bchctybob

That's a great story! I had a girlfriend years ago who grew up with five brothers and one old pickup truck to share, she could drive anything and loved to drive my hot rods - fast. Every time she used my '29 pickup for a few days the neighbors would complain that I was driving too fast in the neighborhood!
    These days, my wife didn't know what a hot rod was 'til she met me but she did have several Volkswagens over the years so she knows how to drive a stick shift. She's having some early onset arthritis with good days and bad days, so I think that is the main reason for her resistance to the 5 spd. I've also noticed she isn't driving her Corvair as much as she used to and I think that's why - no power steering or power brakes. I'm still leaning towards putting the 5 spd in our little woody and I'll just have to do the same shift handle trick Danny did for your wagon - very cool.

loudbang and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

If the woody is her car do it like she wishes, I told Danny when he was building the wagon I wanted to keep it three on the tree and keep the original inline six, I'm glad he talked me into a V8 and 5 speed but he would have turned blue trying to convince me into going with a automatic.

The wagon will be stick as long as I can still change gears.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Brenda
    I've often wanted to hear that very neat story, we don’t get many like that on the HAMB.
    By the way, tell Danny there is only one "I" in shifter!:D

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I dislike all the shifters I looked at for my '39 Chev coupe with 700R4 transmission. So I grabbed an old Hurst shifter, and welded up a mount and extension on it for the part that's under the floor. Used 3/8" rod I threaded 3/8NF on each end, and added heim ends to make the adjustment I wanted. Cost me next to nothing, and I like it better than anything I could buy.

[​IMG]

17. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Damn, Brenda is a bad ass! :cool:

18. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

modified 56 vette 3 speed to clear stock Tudor seats..you need ape arms for this one!! IMG_2138.JPG IMG_2537.JPG

19. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

image.jpg image.jpg Here is what i made for my son’s not hamb friendly car

20. I have two; the tall one that I fabricated, and my first one from when I was 16 years old. On both I use an old Hurst 3-speed knob.

Attached Files:

21. Lighting rods, custom hand made by Brian Killduff. WIN_20190327_17_30_18_Pro.jpg

scott27, loudbang and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  22. Hi-Flying

Hi-Flying

I make these for my buddies 3inch wood ball hand painted IMG_20201122_112706129.jpeg

Sent from my moto e5 supra using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. I'm always on the lookout for possible shift levers. I Picked up a pair of forklift or heavy equipment levers that look like it wouldn't be too difficult to weld an adapter in the slot on the bottom.
    And I have this really old beer tap that can be configured as a lever many different ways. It's fairly solid and so is rather heavy with the pump on it, though.

DSCN1707.JPG DSCN1718.JPG DSCN1720.JPG DSCN1724.JPG

24. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Cool story ladyhrp :cool:

My kids all learnt to drive stick (three-on-the-tree) in my '60 GM Holden sedan in Sydney traffic. Four kids have learned so far, one to go. That poor clutch deserves the Purple Heart.

FB loaded up with the EK wagon ready for paint and panel, Greystanes November 2013.jpg

The eldest daughter drives the '62 ute version as her daily driver. 138ci of pure terror. Makes the older tradesmen smile when she rolls up to the diff/brakes/parts shops.

Cheers,
    Harv

25. squirrel

squirrel

for a manual shift slushbox. And it's legal for racing.

switch and light are for the switch pitch torque converter, pushbutton and the relay that you can't see are to engage the Laycock De Normanville overdrive, but only in high gear.

shifter2020.jpg

scott27, brEad, bchctybob and 3 others like this.
  26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Wife's old Panel Deliv., old Hurst "Indy" shifter modified to work a TH350

14.jpg

scott27, bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  27. a4278v

a4278v

20201121_153233.jpg I have this that I'm not going to use , It is a Hurst Competition Plus that has been modified with an early ford truck handle works well $ 200 I have a few Ford toploader 4 speed installation kits available also

bchctybob likes this.
  28. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Here's what is in it now. I change it out from time to time. 20160909_135631.jpg

29. IMG_6321 (2).JPG I had to find SOMETHING that would work when my OT car was stolen and they took my pistol grip shifter....

scott27, R A Wrench and loudbang like this.
  30. [​IMG]
    ‘my early sixties high school Rod had a heavily bent/curved Hurst 3 speed shifter for the side mount to move the knob about 6” to the right. The end result was a knob mol where bchctybob’s knob ended up