Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1937 Dodge Ol Bessy is Coming Home....redux

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sharps40, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Sharps40

Sharps40

Will give it a shot with new seals and jets from Mike's. Prolly need to polish the pump bores as well.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Sharps40

Sharps40

Dad, Good news. We have Ol Bessy back up and running like new. I think the carb issues are temporarily vetted (more tuning likely required). The accelerator pump seals had broken in both carbs. One balled up, one completely torn in half. She was jetted so rich that she started and ran okay anyway. Although these seals were ethanol resistant, they were very thin and floppy, kind of cheap. New ones are more robust and have expanders.

So, I know you always said change only one thing at at time.....but, while i was in the carbs to replace the pump seals (used new ethanol resistant heavy duty cups with expander springs) I replaced the very large #57 jets on the primary carb. Now both primary and secondary carbs are running the same size jets, #55s.

The test drive went well with a marked improvement in acceleration and response to throttle inputs. Several pulls from second and third to wide open didn't result in any pinging. I'll have to drive a tank or two, do some tuning and check plugs to see if the primary carb will want smaller jets than these but its a step in the right direction.

Now to get back to front suspension, pinion angles and improving the rear springing........ She Runs!!!!! Celebrating with a cigar and an R.O.C-Co-Cola!

3. Mudgy

Mudgy

G'Day Sharps, Ol' Bessie is awesome mate. I haven't tuned here for a LOOOONG while.. It's credit to you mate.
    Cheers, Mudgy

4. Sharps40

Sharps40

Thanks Mudgy. I checked #3 and #8 plug after cleaning, reinstalling and going on a 20 mile ride. One complete turn of light tan/gold on the base ring, no soot on either plug. So, I think the fuel is close now. I need to warm her up and reset the fuel screws by vacuum and run it a couple more tank fulls of gas.

Not real happy with the very low front end but I did cut the coils by 3/4 on the install, just to get the shocks to fit. Arms are pointing down 1.5 degrees so its settled in nicely, just a bit lower than I like. If it continues to rub I'll prolly try another set of v6 springs without any cut, or less cut if i can't get them in full length.

Just waiting now for the arrival of what I hope to be the last axle shim and I'll get to the rear springs too.....not sure if I'll clamp the front leaves or just install a 550 lb helper to help keep her from bottoming with passengers in the rear.

For now, gotta get Dad down here to drive his Ol Gal!

5. Sharps40

Sharps40

Just filled the tank. Ran one half on the fat jets and one half on the new smaller jets. Mileage rose again, showing 11.88 mpg with mostly stop and go driving. We'll see what it looks like with this new tank running through on those 2 step smaller jets. Still havn't reset the idle mix from the fat jets....I'll have to get to that soon, but right now its hunting season and all my time is in the woods.

6. Sharps40

Sharps40

Dad, Big step forward. First high speed highway run for Ol Bessy in about 25+ years. A photo out over the hood headed south on I74.....and a short video of the speedometer and serene music, as we steadily roll South bound at 70 mph. (She's loud and thirsty at that speed but pushed her past 75 mph for a stretch and we know she can do it relatively smoothly. But, with no upholstery at least she's no louder than she was running that weak flathead lawn tractor motor all those years.) I think we finally have the right operating angles for the drive shaft. Bessy no longer shakes her self apart on hard acceleration and running the highway at 2800 to 3100 rpm didn't elicit any untoward vibration from the drive line.

Highway.jpg

7. Awesome congratulations

Sharps40 likes this.
  8. Sharps40

Sharps40

Dad,
    Last year i went with the Ford style swan neck mirrors that bolt on. The clip on style for the old dodges always vibrated and fell off.
    Problem was the curvature of the door shell didn't allow the ford mirrors to swing in enough to be usable without really contorting your neck.
    So, I cut a 3 degree shim for the drivers side and a 7.5 degree shim for the passenger side and now, I can see out the back on both sides without breaking my neck.

driver.jpg passenger.jpg 3degree.jpg 7.5degree.jpg

9. Sharps40

Sharps40

Dad,
    First endurance run today. 232 miles. Left this morning at 0945 and arrived home at 1600. Just over a full tank of gas and we netted a strong 12.25 mpg with some stops and averaging cruise speeds of 55 mph.

From Pekin, NC we went north through Troy, NC to the Pisgah Covered Bridge. Stopped for photos. Then North/around and through the Uhwarrie National Forest to the west side and South to the town of Uhwarrie. From there to Troy, NC again for lunch at Better Burger. Down State 109 to Wadesborough, NC and further South and East to Bennettsville, SC by way of Cheraw, SC. From there back up State 15/501 to Aberdeen, NC., North and West through Seven Lakes and Candor, NC on 211 and finally, out State 731 at the South end of the Uwharrie National Forest to home here in Pekin.

She ran great. Tune seems fine and the carbs are working fine. Next endurance outing will be up the interstate from Pekin, NC to Fancy Gap, VA and back holding highway speeds.

Todays trip confirms about all we need to do now mechanically is raise the front end on new springs, get the rear springs under control and probably rebuild the rear differential. Then, it'll be upholstery time.
    Dodge8.jpg Dodge7.jpg Dodge6.jpg Dodge5.jpg Dodge4.jpg dodge3.jpg Dodge2.jpg dodge1.jpg

10. Very cool congratulations

11. Sharps40

Sharps40

Thanks. Each outing builds confidence and uncovers the needed tweaks. Having fun. Hopefully Dad will be here to drive her for the first time In 30 odd years before Christmas.

56 Dodge Pickup and lemondana like this.
  12. Sharps40

Sharps40

Resprung the front and picked her up a bit over 1.5 inches. Should clear the tires now. If she sets down again will have to go to a heavier spring.

20201202_122302.jpg 20201202_153917.jpg 20201202_153739.jpg

56 Dodge Pickup likes this.
  13. Sharps40

Sharps40

14. I had the same thing with my 37 loved the look but couldn’t keep the tire off the fender on the corners

15. Sharps40

Sharps40

Exactly. I ran her 120 miles on the freeway to settle the new moog springs. She set down about 1/4 in. The ride is much better, more precise, on uncut springs. Very happy so far and we still have a nice stance.

lemondana and 56 Dodge Pickup like this.
  16. Sharps40

Sharps40

Figured I'd better update this post on the attempt to purchase a 1937 Dodge Business Coupe from a Classic Car Dealer in MN. The deal is closed. I bought a 2020 Nissan Frontier from a local dealership instead.

July 2020: Got financing, called reputable classic car dealer in MN. YADA, YADA, solid/good, etc., do you have a clear title? Yes.

Agreed on price + shipping. Signed contract. Bank says Send him deposit. Wired it. Received confirmation from dealer and bank. Done.

August 2020: Bank says, adequate title not received, its in the deceased fathers name, needs vin inspection and updating to release funds.

Dealer says, can get it done but MN title inspections closed (COVID) our appointment is 17 Nov 20.

September, October and November 2020: Written communications: are we still on for 17 Nov 20 Title inspection? Yes, no problems.

Late October 2020: I note that now, 3 months after signing contract and transmitting deposit, all adds nation wide for this car are closed/marked sold. (incidentally found the car for sale variously in these ads from $16K to $23K).

2 November 2020: Written Communications: are we still on for 17 Nov 20 Title inspection? Yes.

17 November 2020: No contact from Dealer.

18 November 2020: Written and verbal contact with dealer initiated......excuses, we are sick, tag inspectors closed offices again in october (never got a courtesy call, note our written 2 November 2020 communication). But, good news is we have a new inspection date for 27 January 2021.

No thanks, send me my deposit back....

December 2020: Multiple written and verbal communications with Dealer concerning return of deposit. Multiple written and verbal excuses and promises.

12 December 2020: Deposit refund check received in the mail.

15 December 2020: Deposit check cleared my bank.

Thank goodness its over. Never figured on being treated so poorly by someone well established in the business. To date the car has not been re-advertised. I can assume it is no longer available for sale......

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  17. Sharps40

Sharps40

Spiffing up for her big reveal at camp this week. Headed to the low country for quail and pheasant.

No interior and cloud and drafty but pulling 12 mpg and good reliability to date...

20210203_162425.jpg 20210203_162439.jpg

18. Sharps40

Sharps40

Belly full of butterflies tonight.

Rolling in my car, on a trip, not just to town and back, first time in 30 years. Used to drive her daily all over the east coast. Was nothing to hop in and run 400 miles. I was twentysomething then. Carried tools and oil/water, gaskets, carbs. Dumb and fearless!

19. Sharps40

Sharps40

Easy road...back roads through NC and SC. 60 mph all the way. A stellar 13 mpg! Rain all the way. Newport wipers work great. Heater melts sneakers. Burned headlights for the whole 3 hours, so confidence in the electric system now as well. Rear end noisy but holding together.....overall, very pleased. Hell, the stereo even answers the cell phone!

20210205_093423.jpg 20210205_130834.jpg 20210205_130851.jpg

lemondana, dehartcarl, RICH B and 2 others like this.
  20. Sharps40

Sharps40

It was a great trip. On Bessy ran strong. 20210207_065834.jpg

chryslerfan55 and lemondana like this.
  21. Sharps40

Sharps40

3 days well spent. Changed direction on the fuel system. Duel deuces were great but seemed all the power was midrange and top end. Swapped in a new 4 bbl carb. Edelbrock 1403 500 CFM.

Had to change everything with the cables but got it all worked out and even found a spot for the accelerator pedal that is comfortable, doesn't interfere with brake pedal and doesn't hit the bigger trans tunnel. Overall more responsive at takeoff and very snappy throughout.....and, automatic choke.

Air cleaner only took 22 days to arrive from Iowa via 2 day priority mail! Them USPS Folks got it going!

20210313_142442.jpg

chryslerfan55 and lemondana like this.
  22. Sharps40

Sharps40

Thinking about a longer trip. Take the car up to Dad since he's not been able to get here to see it together and running. Hard to believe its been a year since its first start in over 25 years.

So, washed and vacuum done. Fluids checked.

Got rid of the off idle hesitation by closing the butterflies and returning the idle mix for max vacuum. 18 in steady. Just under 800 rpm hot idle and about 700 in gear. I think it was Ideling off the transition slot so no fuel left for transition.

Found the dizzy loose again. Gotta get a GM clamp, the aftermarket clamps are worthless. Initial advance was down at 8 btdc so put it back at 12 btdc and torqued the clamp till the threads made smoke. Then I had to go back and reset the carb. Went for a ride and all is well.

Gotta finish packing the tool kit and put the dog bed in the back seat for Ruger.

I'll look at the maps. Not sure what roads I want to use but leaning toward I 74 to I 81 and north to Fairfax VA along the spine of the mountains.

Rear end ain't rebuilt yet but I think we will go anyway. Close to 1000 miles round trip.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    lemondana and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Sharps40

Sharps40

Made it to VA. Hand of God. Loosing power and getting hotter all the way.

Test run tomorrow but I think we have it resolved.

20210411_173832.jpg

Vacuum leak fixed with new carb base gasket.

1 year old plug wires replaced and routed cooler.

Proof of the old saying that most fuel problems are actually ignition faults. Test ride tomorrow and if all is well Dad will drive his car for the first time in 40 years!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. Sharps40

Sharps40

First of 2 videos, Dad started it up after 40 year

lemondana likes this.
  25. Sharps40

Sharps40

"A Dream Come True."

Copper Top, abe lugo and lemondana like this.
  26. Sharps40

Sharps40

Trip home was great. Hiway speed all the way, great power and performance. Wires and a gasket put her in shape. Stopped in Southern VA for a visit, lunch of Squirrel Stew, a bit of gunsmithing and some target shooting. Then made the final 3 hr run home. Gas mileage with no vacuum leak and good plug wires is just over 14 on the highway. I'm very pleased. Its good to finally be driving this car again.

abe lugo likes this.
  27. Sharps40

Sharps40

Good work today finishing the little things on cooling for summer touring.

Calibrated the fan for the 180F stat...on at 195 and off at 185, seems very steady now. It was on at 210 and she warmed up a bit much in traffic or sitting still.

Plugged the sides and top around radiator with foam and made up air dams for under the grill. Now it all goes thru the radiator and trans cooler.

Wrapped the head pipes to the muffler since the left bank pipe crosses under the oil pan. The pipe temps dropped 150f to 200f compared to the rams horn.

Installed water wetter now that I have 5k miles leak free.

Last step will be this week. I'm changing water pump drive from 1 to 1 to GM ac car 20% over driven. We rarely see 3100 rpm with the new 3.08 gear out back so should be no worries with cavitation.

28. Sharps40

Sharps40

29. Sharps40

Sharps40

I think I'll minimize further cosmetic restoration and limit the interior to headliner, seats and abs door panels.

With all the money Jim stole from dad another in a long list of crushing sac kicks....

5k miles and 1 year on the road and the car has numerous spider cracks in the paint. Parts not fitted, etc.

Today I installed a nos rear door latch to replace the broken original, it'll be nice to have the suicide door stay shut.....but part of the problem, even with the nos part was a 7/32" overlay of filler that fell out from under the eustecion......so thick the knob shaft couldn't engage the latch.

I've never had to feather over a quarter inch of filler. Lacking skill , Funds and a reputable shop ill focus on a reliable latch and cosmetic will fall where it may.

I suspect overall the car to look like hell in 5 years. Too bad and I will try to keep Dad from finding out.

Dosnt change my love for Ol Bessy but makes me despise life long family friend Jim.....nothing worse than stealing coin from an ol mans dream.

Progress so far.....

20220316_103019.jpg 20220316_124524.jpg 20220316_125418.jpg

30. Sharps40

Sharps40

Still needs work but the nos latch works perfectly.

20220316_142710.jpg