Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical automatic transmission or 3 speed manual?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 21, 2020.

?
  1. Manual

2. Automatic

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Most fun I ever had in cars (driving that is) was in cars without a clutch or even a transmission. I let the trans do my shifting now.

2. Clutch!
    A guy I know has a phone app, countdown to retirement.

3. Budget36

Budget36

I must be getting old and spoiled. Grew up shifting. Yesterday I had to take my kids car to work, her and her boyfriend went down south in my pickup to get some parts. Her car is a 5 speed.
    Now getting to work is about 30 miles, some stop signs in the country and a few small towns to drive through.

I missed my PU in a bad way coming home ...lol.

That said, as an occasional use vehicle a manual would be fine for me, but not a daily driver anymore.

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

The reason the Muncies are expensive is because if one guy asks a $1,000.00 then everyone thinks theirs is the worth the same , wether rebuilt or not. Doesn’t matter that the guy hasn’t sold it , just making up a selling number is all they need to value theirs as equal .

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's personal choice. I chose a TH350 to put behind the DeSoto Hemi going in my roadster project. Likewise I had one behind the 283 in the last one. We hand plenty of 3 and 4 speed cars when we were young, I'm grown up now, and I want to put it gear, mash down on the long skinny pedal and go. Put a manual in, put an automatic in, it's fine either way. IMG_2151.JPG

6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I drive a lot so automatic. My 54 is currently is 6 cyl. 3 on tree. I bought a five speed for it. When I'm all done it will be v8 auto.
    3 Speeds are no fun for me. 5 speeds are cheap.
    Have you priced 3 speed floor shifters lately?

Sandgroper likes this.
  7. wvenfield

wvenfield

Years ago if I had a three speed and I could upgrade to a four speed, I would have. Not today.

A few years ago I had a 3 speed daily (off topic car). I never considered going to four speed.

Getting older I understand going with an automatic. If it's a car I didn't drive all the time everyday, 3 speed would be great.

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The Astorian has a 3 speed and a Hurst shifter and it drives and shifts like a dream. One of the old magazine articles on the car listed it as having a 4 speed. That’s show biz I suppose. Think about it this way, it is a 4 speed, 3 in forward and 1 in reverse!!! And yes in my opinion a manual transmission makes your car feel much more like a hot rod

EBB28B95-2DF8-406A-84EB-BEB757C58C14.jpeg 108DAACD-6B2C-4470-B2F2-5752348C16B5.jpeg

9. 4tford

4tford

With my legs auto is my only choice now. I have manual valve body on my 63 dodge race car so there is the shifting without the clutch. On my 40 ford with hemi I have B&M 400 Turbo with shift kit.

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’m going with an automatic in my Avatar, behind a 462 FE. For several reasons!
    1: Lazy
    2: No blown $7000 engines due to missing a gear!
    3: No driveshafts throwed out in the street or strip.
    Like some have mentioned, when I was younger..... four speed all the way. As I venture into my seventh decade, what’s easy now, becomes important.And I don’t have a four speed and do have the automatic! :D Just my thoughts!

Bones

11. That's part of why I'm considering going with the 3 speed, I've got shifters hanging on the wall lol. I put a 3 speed in my last model A because I couldn't afford the other gear ;)

12. It all comes down to what I already have laying around I guess. They're all 1:1 in the end right? And if I ever fall into a 4 speed within my reach it'll be an easy swap. I don't care what anybody says, if it's good enough for the Astorian, it's good enough for my junk :D

Jrs50, loudbang, Sandgroper and 6 others like this.
  13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

HEAR, HEAR!

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Hot Rods have 3 pedals.

loudbang, Chicster, scotty t and 4 others like this.
  15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Read your post last night. I didn't say anything then but this is right on track with what I was thinking.

Yes they are all 1 to 1 in 3rd.
    Do you know what ratio's of 1st gears you have?

16. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Since we are both from Ky, I looked on Facebook Marketplace and there are a bunch of Saginaw 4 speeds for sale reasonably ($300). I saw one in Ohio that had the shifter and everything for $200. Then sell your 3 speed to offset. The 3 speeds should bring $150 or so........I just think the driving is so much better with that extra mid-range gear. A little searching over time will net a 5 speed for about the same money. Before you decide, take your daily driver out on the X-way and drive it in high gear (not overdrive) for a few miles and remember what its like to drive non-overdrive vehicles. Sometimes its better to sell what you have and add a little money up front than to install something that isn't enjoyable for the long run.:D
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2736301949943637/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3509538829139745/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

Thing is, a decent shifter isn't cheap and the 5 speeds have built in shifters.

17. No man I haven't checked to see exactly what I have. I believe the 63 is non synchro correct? The other 2 are the same as this. I had 3 of these 20190222_152559.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Sag 3 speed started in 62. The Sag 4 speed not until 64. So, the 63 does have syncho 1st.

19. This one supposedly came out of a 63 full size car, but I just noticed the rear mount so I don't know 20201122_134738.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  20. During my formative years, nobody wanted a 'slushbox'.....LOL

21. The plan was a NV3500 5 speed, but my buddy sold it. I'll have my old lady check around the Facebook. Just bought her a Tahoe used which was still $42,000, an El Camino, and a truck cab. This ol boy ain't in the spending mood currently ;)

bchctybob, loudbang and High test 63 like this.
  22. Check out those pictures I posted, what is that?

loudbang likes this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Throw a bucket over that transmission! I have picked a lot of transmissions that were ruined by rain water getting into them and rusting up the gears, even with oil in the transmission!

Bones

loudbang and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  24. For a cruiser it’s a toss up.
    3 on the tree is a novelty today. They seem to be cooler now than when I was younger.
    Nothing is more fun that banging through 4 or more gears on the street.
    My opinion of what makes something a hot rod for your build is irrelevant.
    If you plan on high RPM shifts and some serious street or occasional track launches, get an appropriate bell housing or scatter shield.
    With the choices you listed, the th350 is the cheaper option
    Nv3500s range from 300-700 here.
    But come with a shifter. Most 4spd don’t.
    My choice for auto would be a 200r.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    ffr1222k likes this.
  25. Never mind, from what I see it's a Saginaw 343. No rings around the input shaft

loudbang and Johnny Gee like this.
  26. goldmountain

goldmountain

In retrospect, the defining item on my '39 Fargo was the non synchro transmission. Had to double clutch with every gear change. More of a challenge down shifting. I wouldn't mind getting another one.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

MO54Frank and loudbang like this.
  27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Swapped my 3 speed for a T5, hundred bucks and change at PicknPull half price weekend, and never looked back. I know some think it's past traditional, and it is, but the TH350 didn't come out until around 1970 and no one seems bothered by it. I guess it depends how far stretching the boundary is acceptable.

Jrs50 and ffr1222k like this.
  28. Yep, 1969ish.
    post 65. Just like most of the SBCs here.

ffr1222k likes this.
  29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

transmissions get a pass here because they are an "invisible" part when they are installed in the car....