Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 3 spd manual, what the he !! am I

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MikieOne, Feb 27, 2019.

1. blockhead555

blockhead555

wow! Awesome info. Thanks. I wonder what the 83mm is about? Thats about 3.25 inch I think. The driven gears maybe?
    Its a shame there is all these little references in charts, and manuals, but nothing that flat out states what its actual name is, application, dates of manufacture etc....

I'd bet this one still works, but I would like to rebuild it. Sadly I would never tear it down unless I was sure I could get parts....

//edit// Found it ----> The heavy-duty 3-speed (RPO M13 in 67-68, or MC1 in 69)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  2. Regarding my previous posting, I forgot to add that the 67 Chev was ordered with the 396. That was why I considered it so odd that it came with the 3 speed transmission.
    Bob

3. squirrel

squirrel

The 83mm refers to the center to center distance from the main shaft to the countershaft.

4. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Thank you for the info, picked this up at a swap meet and it has the same casting number as blockhead555 :cool:

Any one know what transmissions can be used for a donor for the speedometer drive. :rolleyes:
    Norb

IMG_3501.JPG IMG_3500.JPG

Attached Files:

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  7. Mimilan

Mimilan

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/vintage-chevy-rpo-codes

1Nimrod likes this.
  8. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I think he means pictures of YOUR transition. :rolleyes: A lot of guys here are very good at identifying what you have just by looking at pictures.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  10. If you don't mind what number do you have on your tail piece mine is 3968035

11. your date code on the side cover is August 29 1974 so as long as the tailhousing number numbers match I think you have a donor

Tickety Boo likes this.