Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical welding helmet question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ned5049, Nov 21, 2020.

1. ned5049

ned5049

Where can I buy a decent auto-darken welding helmet at a fair price? U.S.A. made. No HF.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are a lot of choices, but I like to get one with a replaceable battery, a big lens area, and a built in clip for a cheater lens. I currently have Hobart Inventor series helmet that can be found in the plus / minus $100 range. Hobart has several helmets with replaceable batteries starting at around $75.

3. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

Cyberweld usually competes pretty well for everything you need.

4. Jay McDonald

Jay McDonald

biggest thing to watch for is a decent head gear, those cheesy head gears that wont hold the helmet up are so frustrating. I would never buy a helmet without trying it on first. Miller has a good one.

5. My last 2 have been kobalt from Lowe's. Never had seen issue

6. Budget36

Budget36

I bought a huntsman with the big hole and put in an insert lens, I’ve had it for over 25 years. Not sure what they go for now, I think back then I was into it for around 150 at the welding supply store

7. RMONTY

RMONTY

I can't remember what I paid for this, but I am thinking it was less than $100 on Amazon. It is a "true color" helmet with the big lens. I am more than happy with it. It is a YesWelder brand. The true color seems to be much easier on my eyes. Helmet.jpg

ekimneirbo and 32SEDAN like this.
  8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I bought one of the clear view auto darkening from Eastwood and I luv it.

Around 100. But the clear view is the best part. It doesnt have the green tint when looking thru it or welding.

Buy another in a heart beat.

ekimneirbo and RMONTY like this.
  9. I currently have two Speedglas hoods, and I was recently contemplating an ESAB Sentinel becasue of the larger viewing area, but the Speedglas ones are great.