Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***November 2020 Banger Meet Thread - Shop Time!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

[​IMG]

Does anybody have any experience installing a Mitchell Overdrive unit with a cling’s master cylinder hydraulic brake set up? If I set the Mitchell bracket on top of the clings unit the shift rod runs into the cross member. I believe the clings unit is aluminum so I may have to cut them and have them welded into one unit. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Old Dawg likes this.
  2. railcarmover

railcarmover

Ya gotta fit the shifter,don't go cable,the mitchell shifts as fast as you can throw it.

3. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Although not a specific answer I have had to rework my master cylinder mount a couple of times. First to clean up the mess when I bought the car and next when I went to an F150 transmission. The first picture was the set up when I got the car. Second is when I made it work while at a friends place in Canada with few tools. I still use the same set up but cleaned it up when I put in the 150 trans. Point being that you should be able to fabricate something that will allow the Mitchell unit to be in the correct spot and then move the master cylinder mount to work. Replacing the Clings set up and selling it would net enough to more than pay for a new modification. When I first did mine it was in the field and I simply made a belcrank that pinned into the stock model A arm and rested against the base of the pedal. It worked fine just like that. I cleaned it up and welded it later. My new bracket, which I don't have a picture of could be cut out to fit around or under the the Mitchell part so it could use different mounting holes. IMG_0323.jpg

Attached Files:

Fabber McGee and Old Dawg like this.
  4. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Klawockvet, have you got a picture of the 150 set up?

5. Phil Damon

Phil Damon
    from San Diego

Clings makes a bracket for this purpose.
    http://www.clingsaftermarket.com/addtocart.asp?prod=4300

Binger likes this.
  6. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thank you. I found that bracket. I didnt know one existed. Lots of nice parts on that Cling's page.

7. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

RULES- If your winning you love em- if your not, you want to change them! I'm with F.A.S.T and have been for many years. I'm sort of the tech/ rules guy for the Nor- Cal FAST group. Are our rule perfect-NO! We should make some changes but, I'm not the the rule maker. The rules are submitted to our insurance company and we must live with them for our insurance year. They are an attempt to make the playing field SAFE, level and to have fun. I sure hope we can keep our organization going and continue our hill climbs no matter how flat they may be. I will try to be here and administer to the BITCH & MOAN part of our group. See you at the races!

GuyW likes this.
  8. That's funny, from the website...............
    NOTE: EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER 22, 2020, F.A.S.T. WILL CEASE OPERATIONS.

What is the latest rumor?

J

9. briphaeton

briphaeton
    from cal

Next Nor-Cal FAST meeting is 11/21/20

10. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey John,
    Im confused easily...ha !
    Who is F.A.S.T. ?
    Note:
    I don't receive the mag anymore ...bummer. I miss and want my.... ‘occasionally published’
    mag. Does anyone publish a similar mag. I’ll subscribe ?
    The mag was our ‘ glue’. R.I.P.

Dustyp489 likes this.
  11. Hardtimes,
    F.A.S.T. was a small organization that catered to the Banger Folks, since Sept it has been my understanding that it had been dissolved. At least Ron and Carol are no longer working on it.
    It looks like Nor-Cal is keeping the Region alive, it would be great to have the website changed over to them and the Sept notice removed. Even better, if they could take over ALL of the F.A.S.T. aspects, mag, event insurance, and of course events.
    As far as another mag, Charlie Yapp has the SOSS society, different than FAST, but you pick your poison.
    As with many different racing organizations, diversity erodes the market to the point of extinction. This is a fact of life along with getting older.
    J

Dustyp489, Old Dawg and GuyW like this.
  12. Moreover, we have a group in San Luis Obispo County (SLO) that had been associated with F.A.S.T.! The Time Trials at the Santa Margarita Ranch have been run by this group for over a decade! The group intends to continue these events in the future. Ron and Carol have participated in many of these events in the past; and as far as I know they will come to them in the future The Time Trials are staged on a level paved airstrip; with a measured and electronically timed 1/10 of a mile! BTW the SLO group helped the fellows from HopUp Magazine get their RPM Nationals started at the Santa Margarita Ranch!
    FASTSM-8 (2017_06_30 15_13_08 UTC).jpg FAST2013-6 (2017_06_30 15_13_08 UTC).jpg

Shutter Speed and GuyW like this.
  13. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I really didnt see anybody bitching or moaning about anything.Just trying to figure out the rules and how they are enforced.Sometimes when things are read they can be interpreted in different ways at time we need some clarification.

14. I believe he could have been referencing me as I stated they were biased.
    It is what it is, the banger group shouldn't be about drama!

burl likes this.
  15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i believe "modelasteve" is trying to save it ...............

Dustyp489 likes this.
  16. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey John,
    THANKS for your reply/information !
    I appreciate Nor-Cal efforts to keep our hobby (FAST) going.
    It was/is a HEAVY load to keep the fast org going as was done. First class operation and time consuming.
    It might be more practical these days to simplify/reduce to a computer site where members can log on and contribute pics, stories, wanted and for sale, etc... in an informal manner. I dont know computer lingo/ operation. But, I’d be a joiner contributor, including dues.
    Maybe use the KISS idea to start

17. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

FASTSM-8 (2017_06_30 15_13_08 UTC).jpg
    That's the first time I've ever seen "Starting Blocks" used in drag racing.

18. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

We use then on the hill- saves clutches and us old guys need a third or forth foot to run all them peddles!

Shutter Speed likes this.
  19. The "Starting Blocks" were devised to squelch the guys who wanted to stand back from the electronic start beam. They were actually able to get a little "Head Start" edge outta doing so! The time started when the beam was broken; not when the flag dropped!

20. Hi, I usually don’t post that often, my progress on the coupe is so slow, but a high point this month. Dragged home a G28 engine, now the fun begins.

28E93C05-E37C-43A8-A2D9-0176824D0F52.jpeg

21. railcarmover

railcarmover

Dennis's house..once Steve is done flapping his gums we can get down to the good shit,telling lies and eating donuts.

Old Dawg likes this.
  22. railcarmover

railcarmover

NorCal FAST meeting and SWAP MEET, Saturday, November 21, 2020 - 10 AM Dennis O’Keefe’s home/shop

DIRECTIONS: Off Hwy 80 North on Watt Ave, Elverta- Left (West), Bellingrath- Right (North), or see map, below.

Bring your Model A & T goodies to sell and money to buy! Steve Straw found some more stuff to bring (see photos attached)

SELLERS PARK INSIDE BUYERS PLEASE PARK ON THE STREET MASKS REQUESTED
    [​IMG]
    Coffee & Donuts/Lunch - feed the kitty

23. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably not what you want. These are the only pictures I have. If I ever get the lift up and running in the new shop I might be able to take some from underneath. The top picture is the brake set up. The bottom is the RTS trans. This was one of Dave Delmue's first converstions. I got it from a guy with a heavy 4 door and a stock engine that had trouble pulling hills. I dont have that problem. I love the trans and it looks stock from the interior of the car. The switch on the lever is for turn indicators. The wire is hidden with a large piece of Harbor Freight shrink tube. There is a bracket that goes on the front of the shift housing that holds the bar for the pedals. I had to make a new bracket for the master cylinder because the shift tower sits a little higher. I did a smoother job on that second go around. The picture with the trans bolted to the engine doesnt show the rear bearing mount that the clamshell bolts to. PM me if you have some specific question I could help with. Image 1.jpg IMG_3545.jpg Image 1.jpg IMG_3545.jpg

Attached Files:

24. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Thanks for the photos. I'm gathering parts to put a Jeep T-176 in my 29 Tudor. What are the 3 bolt holes in the top of your rear bearing retainer for?

winduptoy likes this.
  25. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Skip,
    Good score !
    Is the G28 commonly available there ?

winduptoy likes this.
  26. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

BRING MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. railcarmover

railcarmover

Hey.Im a model a guy,I dont spend money..picking up a B block this morning so I guess Ill just hang out and annoy Jay to pass the time.

28. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are for the plate that rests on the center crossmember. Part of the Float A Motor kit but I think Delmue supplied a similar plate. I found a couple more pictures of the trans in the car with the brakes connected. The plate on top of the bearing adapter is not yet installed. The MC bracket is a piece of 1/4 angle iron trimmed to fit. I drilled and tapped a hole into the bearing retainer to make a solid mount for the MC. I also made a support out of flat bar to secure the end of the pedal shaft. IMG_3645.jpg IMG_3647.jpg

29. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Nice job, thanks. Did you not need to notch your crossmember?

30. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

DENNIS : Thanks for providing the "venue" for FAST today!!

railcarmover likes this.