Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where to Place Motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PickupNut, Nov 20, 2020.

1. PickupNut

PickupNut

OK all you experienced rod builders.What height in relation to frame do you shoot for when swapping in a new power plant? Building a 29 coupe and got a SBC pretty much mocked up and ready to tack weld in tomorrow.Floated motor up/down/ front/ back today and ended up with pan base /block bottom pretty much in line with top of frame rail. Any thoughts from the gurus before I pull the mig trigger? Thanks

2. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

I try to get the motor as low and as far back towards the firewall as possible without causing any issues. That's usually an inch or two from the firewall and about the same clearance between the oil pan and front crossmember. That will result in a pretty decent weight distribution as opposed to the engine out over the front axle. Be sure to have the chassis setup at ride height with the proper rake when you set the angle of the engine as well otherwise you'll be fighting getting the correct pinion angle later. If you have to guess, set the pinion angle to 4-6 degrees down and you should be ok. If steering/exhaust clearance is an issue, you can move the engine over an inch or so towards the passenger side. I prefer not to, but the Big 3 did it and the world didn't end.

Good luck and post your results!

BLACKNRED likes this.
  3. trollst

trollst

I center the fan in the rad, I use the stock fan, easiest way for me.

4. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I think if you line the crank bolt up with where the crank hole would be just below the radiator you'll be real close to right, as that's where they sat originally.

rusty valley likes this.

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

That seems to high. There are to many things to take into account to say where it should be. Hopefully the model A guys will chime in

6. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Every car sits differently and at different heights. First thing you want to consider is how high your oil pan will be above the road, and will your transmission fit in your tunnel. Then consider what type of exhaust you will attach to the heads and whether it will clear the frame and the steering. I would tack everything and wait till everything is bolted in place. Make your final welds later on.

loudbang likes this.
  7. You really need to just set it up rough and adjust and measure until it's correct. There is no single answer to your question. I tried to go by pre determined measurements before and it just never works out the way it says it does on paper based on someone elses work...unless that person is a super rad engineer and drew up a bullet proof blue print.

Just Gary likes this.
  8. I try to make sure the carburetor will set level, I also try to get it as low as possible. HRP

9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you don't have your steering set up you may want to do that first and then see where you can set the engine in place. Might prevent clearance issues and dictate how high or low you can go and how much forward or backward you can move it.

Wanderlust and vintage6t like this.
  10. Make sure you have at least 4" of clearance on the oil pan at ride height. Another way to look at is don't be below the scrub line.

loudbang likes this.